If you don't like it, return it.
    01-12-09 10:35 AM
    Hm, must of missed the "love it, wouldn't return it". The problem I have is w/ people churching it up giving excuses to RIM for a mediocre/poor OS. Fact of the matter is, poor current OS, terrible original OS. Does that mean this thing can't be great come July..nope.

If you don't like it, return it.
    01-12-09 10:48 AM
    Hm, must of missed the "love it, wouldn't return it". The problem I have is w/ people churching it up giving excuses to RIM for a mediocre/poor OS. Fact of the matter is, poor current OS, terrible original OS. Does that mean this thing can't be great come July..nope.
    Poor current OS? I havent the slightest idea what you are comparing it too, but I can tell you from experience this phone is stable and usable.

Its a touch screen blackberry, thats all. It never promised to be anything else.
    01-12-09 11:10 AM
    hehe. That is just too funny. You are right, it is meant to be a touchscreen blackberry. But, is the current OS how it should be. I'm going to say no since they have leaks bi-weekly. Should say how unhappy consumers and internal RIM is per the current OS.

Again, take the Xbox 360, which is a gaming machine. Do you think if any functionality did not work, they would get ripped apart? YES!

If I turned on my Zune to view pictures and it was insanely slow and choppy, would it be ripped. Yup. Thing is, it is what it is. You're right, it functions. But, does it functional to its potential. No way.

Why anyone would defend otherwise is truly beyond me...

Poor current OS? I havent the slightest idea what you are comparing it too, but I can tell you from experience this phone is stable and usable.

Its a touch screen blackberry, thats all. It never promised to be anything else.
    01-12-09 11:17 AM
    hehe. That is just too funny. You are right, it is meant to be a touchscreen blackberry. But, is the current OS how it should be. I'm going to say no since they have leaks bi-weekly. Should say how unhappy consumers and internal RIM is per the current OS.

Again, take the Xbox 360, which is a gaming machine. Do you think if any functionality did not work, they would get ripped apart? YES!

If I turned on my Zune to view pictures and it was insanely slow and choppy, would it be ripped. Yup. Thing is, it is what it is. You're right, it functions. But, does it functional to its potential. No way.

You must be new to the world of BB's. There are new OS's all the time. Look at the Bold. I'll bet there have been over 10 beta releases since it was released on ATT. I actually think this is one of the benifits of BB's, how many new OS you get to try. Compare that to Apple of Winmo and I think it benifits all of us to have so many chances to improve the product.

I should also say that it doesnt just function, it works very well. At least that is my experience.
    Last edited by garment69; 01-12-09 at 11:32 AM.
    01-12-09 11:28 AM
    To be more exact - it is a touchscreen BB Bold. Only the touchscreen is new programming. The rest is old school BB with the Bold OS flair.

Watching the new Palm be tested out, I knew in my heart neither RIM or VZW would ever attempt such a thing, not a month before launch, not on launch day, not even now.

Neither VZW or RIM would ever want to compare this device to the new Palm. They do not want it compared to the current Iphone, they only want to compare it to the Bold, and this device is not nearly as polished as the Bold was at launch.

Hardware is poor, hardware utilization through software is worse.

If you need to be on a BB, and you really wanted an decent AIW media device, this is still your best bet; but both RIM and VZW could and should have done better.
    01-12-09 11:33 AM
    Couldn't agree more. There is not a single good reason why the OS is the way it is in a production environment.

Not knowing the history of all the BB devices, has any BB had this issue in the past? Just simple comparing apples to apples. And, I know touch is new to BB, but I'm sure the Curve/Bold/Pearl brought new things to the table on their own releases as well.

To be more exact - it is a touchscreen BB Bold. Only the touchscreen is new programming. The rest is old school BB with the Bold OS flair.

Watching the new Palm be tested out, I knew in my heart neither RIM or VZW would ever attempt such a thing, not a month before launch, not on launch day, not even now.

Neither VZW or RIM would ever want to compare this device to the new Palm. They do not want it compared to the current Iphone, they only want to compare it to the Bold, and this device is not nearly as polished as the Bold was at launch.

If you need to be on a BB, and you really wanted an decent AIW media device, this is still your best bet; but both RIM and VZW could and should have done better.
    01-12-09 11:38 AM
    Again, compared to the Storm's OS, the 360's dashboard is a very simple bit of software, and Microsoft had a lot more time and resources to throw at it's development. Not to mention Microsoft doesn't have to worry about battery life, because they use unlimited AC power, they aren't as constrained by space to fit everything in. If you wanted RIM to develop a cell phone that only worked when plugged into a wall outlet and was the size of the 360, I'm sure they could come up with a truly astounding device, but then you'd complain about how big it was and that it wasn't very mobile.

The Zune is an even more simplistic device, and it's doomed for several other reasons. Also looks as though Microsoft plans to axe the whole project in the near future. And let's not forget the leap year bug that had Zune's everywhere committing a sort of suicide.

Let's see you do better. Seriously. Go out, design a cell phone with a set of features similar to the Storm's, and then develop an operating system to power it that is in every way better than the Storm's. You have 2 years to go from an on paper design to a fully functional product, because that would be roughly how long RIM was working on the Storm before it launched. You even get the advantage of already knowing what kind of features you're going to include, so that should give you a 2-3 month head start over RIM. Plenty of time to bone up on all the computer and electrical engineering and programming stuff you'll need to design a cell phone.

If you can come up with something better, then I will be happy to admit RIM could have done better.

But for everyone who claims that it's just the Bold/Curve's OS with some touch screen elements thrown in... While true, it's still considerably more work than you think to retool an entire interface like that. I've done enough programming that I automatically pick up on things that most people probably wouldn't even give a second thought. Parts of the UI were clearly completely redesigned with a touch interface in mind. Much of it was left largely in tact, but you might be surprised how much of the UI was reimagined if you will.

And one of those things that most people probably don't think about... People tend to expect a much faster response time with touch screen devices, because mentally we associate them with things like vending machines. There's a tactile sensation of having accomplished something. We are much more accepting of a small delay when there's some kind of a disconnect involved, like a mouse or trackball, because it takes our brain a split second to register that we've moved the mouse/trackball and that we should be watching the screen now for a change. It may only be a fraction of a second, about the length of time it takes to blink, but it can have a huge impact on our perceptions. If the Storm had a trackball, it would probably be about every bit as responsive as the Bold or Curve, but because we never take our eyes off the screen with the Storm, we perceive every little delay much more than we would if our attention was split between the screen and trackball.
    01-12-09 12:11 PM

Not nearly as polished as the bold was at launch? Dude, the bold was held back from att for six months becuase of the issues. Orange is talking about stopping all sales becuase it still has issues.

The iphone 3g, when released was horrific. Lag rendered the device unusable. Again, I dont know what your expectations are, or what you are comparing it too, but I think you were a bit optomistic about the storm.

It works as well as any BB I have ever used, except it is a touch screen. A touch screen means you are making trade offs. Typing wont be as good, less hardware buttons for short cuts and probably a bit less battery life. But, in return you get the big screen for the internet and watching movies.

Maybe Verizon over hyped it to the masses, but if you know what BB is about, and you know what about the shortcomings that invariably are present on a touch screen only device, then I think you are satisfied.
    01-12-09 12:29 PM
    if it will help you sleep better at night I could list of all the bugs I had when this "fix it all" OS update came out for the iPhone 3G.
    01-18-09 05:51 PM
    it's a phone, not a spaceship.
    So true...so, so true...
    01-18-09 06:06 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD