I'm glad you're having a great time with your Storm, but you can't be that oblivious to this phone's problems and why people are upset with it. Those of us who've had it from day one believed that at some point the software would be "officially" updated after .75 because as we all know .75 is pretty damn slow, somewhat buggy, and somewhat unreliable (from personal experience).
    If you haven't upgraded from .75 then you probably should do so. Take my word for it...your not experiencing the current potential of this phone.

A quick story - The last time I went to the VZW store the Storms on display had .75 on them. They probably hadn't had a battery pull in a couple weeks. About a 10 second lag on switching from landscape to portrait...and I was amazed how much has changed since then. I don't see why any potential customer would even think about buying this phone from playing with the display model. Seriously.

.75 works really good for some Storm users from what I have gathered. But if it isn't working for you UPGRADE.

An official update is coming. As bad as I hate to say it, Verizon is doing the right thing. They have strict testing policies and don't want to rush an update. Just imagine how many VZW customers would of called about the lock bug in .141 if it were released like it was with Vodafone. See where I'm coming from?

Patience is a virtue. 5.0.x.x is coming (being tested by VZW i think) and from what I have heard it really improves the functionality of the Storm.

Hang in there. Don't go to the dark side like some of the others.

Sorry my reply is so long.
    05-19-09 08:42 PM
    This phone has issues that have not been addressed publicly by Verizon or RIM. And don't give me that garbage about putting a leak on my phone. I shouldn't have to do that and RIM/VZW specifically tell you that this voids the warranty. So in essence they tell you something "is on the way" and then advise you not to upgrade to a leak because it voids the warranty. Am I missing something?
    Another thing....I'm not sure about the warranty. If it is that big of a deal you could probably downgrade to .75 and they would never know the difference.

Somebody who knows more give me some feedback on this. Am i right? I've read countless threads on CB of users trading in their storm.
    05-19-09 08:46 PM
    LOL...Honestly, the only thing keeping me with the Storm is VZW. This network is amazing (5 years no dropped calls that I can remember, I don't wanna know any other network). However, as far as leaks are concerned I'm actually running .141. I know you can downgrade back to .75 and they might not be the wiser but you're missing my point.

Why should I have to resort to a leaked OS in order to have my BB functioning properly (BTW It's still slow, my memory is constantly going down to the teens and all I have is IheartRadio)? Furthermore, why are Storm owners constantly telling themselves "it'll be worth it soon" or "I heard it's gonna be great, just wait!!"?

I was guilty of this blind Storm-owner optimism too, but I got tired of it after I saw they are planning on releasing another one just 6 months after the first. This tells me that the first gen Storm is a giant FAIL in the eyes of RIM and VZW (and yeah it's going to release on VZW, just wait). And no, I'm not upset that it's a revision and I'm an early adopter. I'm upset that my goddam phone doesn't work correctly and is kind of a hassle sometimes and no one seems to want to fix it. I'm also tired of defending my phone whenever someone asks me "How's that phone treating you?" I dread that question, lol. So I started asking myself a few others...

Why is it that BB's require battery pulls?
    -I went through 2 motorolas and 1 Samsung before the Storm and I honestly can't remember ever having to pull the battery on either phone. How many people do you know without BlackBerries that have to constantly pull the battery on their phones? Exactly.

Why am I defending this phone all the time?
    -Because I visit this site and I drank the same Kool-Aid most of you did. (I love this site though, I'm not knocking the site, just our blind-optimism)

Why doesn't VZW release an official update?
    -Because they're trying to "perfect" the next release..., please.

Simply put, I think they're admitting they released a crap Blackberry with the Storm. And yeah I would give them credit for trying a new market and such, but since when do we give credit for trying? What is this the special olympics? I didn't pay for my phone with browning points, I paid for it with cash. Fix the damn phone before circulating rumors of its successor 6 months after it's released!!! We have this all powerful phone that "hasn't reached it's potential," really? The Blackberry Storm is the Ryan Leaf of phones, looked so good initially before it reached prime time, but once it did, it flopped.

"Hey McDonalds guy, I know you undercooked my burger and I have a stomach ache as a result, but good TRY, maybe next time you'll cook it right! I'm definitely coming back to get my next burger from YOU because I want to see how much YOU'VE improved."

Oh and just to quickly address those people who are so adamant about technology being obsolete once it comes out and such, just stop. Name me one phone that has had a successor released 6-8 months (as is rumored with the Storm 2) after it. Just one. Tell me, if this phone is such a success, why does it have a replacement out so soon? No it's not technology, it's FAILURE. The only rumored spec bump that the Storm 2 has over the Storm 1 is wifi.

That being said, times are rough and I can't replace my Storm with another phone so there's another rant.
    05-20-09 12:27 AM
    You're 100 correct GP. The 2nd iteration of the Storm was NOT intended for release this quickly.

People are deluding themselves if they think this is normal. ESPECIALLY with RIM.

I honestly think that the current Storm was the development unit that they could get out quickly and the "Storm 2" is the actual intended release device.

RIM doesn't put out bad phones and it makes me think that VZW gave them no choice. VZW wanted something yesterday.

They didn't want to wait for them to finish working on the 2nd iteration aka intended release device.

"In the meantime give us what you have to get us by."

EVERYTHING about the current Storm points to this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 12:53 AM
    They are rushing "odin" as well!

Some speculate a release could come as early as June.

I'm sticking with the storm because RIM IS NOT making a large leap with odin.

The issues with the storm are software related for the most part. Odin will be using the same OS as the storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 08:07 AM
    i stubbed my toe the other day on my storm
    05-20-09 08:13 AM

Why is it that BB's require battery pulls?
    -I went through 2 motorolas and 1 Samsung before the Storm and I honestly can't remember ever having to pull the battery on either phone. How many people do you know without BlackBerries that have to constantly pull the battery on their phones? Exactly.
    Why? BECAUSE YOUR USING .75. I had problems with .75...especially with app memory.

Please understand something: Your rant has less validity because you haven't moved beyond this point. I've been running BBCrackman's V5 and haven't had to do a batt pull since I installed it.

I just installed .148 and from the looks of it you're getting ready to get your official update. I think this is the one.

I appreciate your sincerity, but you have to look at your situation from outside the box. Yeah, upgrading probably wouldn't completely change your opinion about the storm completely. I assure you that the benefits upgrading is well worth the "risk." (I don't believe there is risk. I have insurance on my plan...so if VZW doesn't take back my phone, it accidentally gets dropped and stops working, ya dig?)

You have to go beyond being afraid to upgrade.

Hel*, the enhanced text selection thingy alone is worth the upgrade.
    05-20-09 02:02 PM
    Please understand something: Your rant has less validity because you haven't moved beyond this point. I've been running BBCrackman's V5 and haven't had to do a batt pull since I installed it.

I just installed .148 and from the looks of it you're getting ready to get your official update. I think this is the one.
    Jesus. The point really never sunk in. Furthermore, you prove my point with this comment, thank you. It's all good my man, enjoy the leaks.
    05-21-09 02:05 PM
    I've taken it upon myself to see if anybody else feels the same way as I do. Does anybody else not have any problems with the storm? It goes above and beyond my expectations. I'm very satisfied with it and wouldn't have it any other way.

Some of us do not like the storm and do nothing but ***** about it the entire time. It's getting very old...

I'm tired of hearing the usual "ZOMG MY STORM BURNED MY HOUSE DOWN" or "I'M GOING TO FILE A LAWSUIT AGAINST VZW BECAUSE I CAN AFFORD MUCH BETTER LAWYERS THAN THEY CAN LOL." Right....take VZW to court.

Guys, this is the first generation storm. It's not going to be perfect, but I think RIM has done a pretty good job thus far. If you don't believe RIM achieved their objective, look at the CB Storm thread count total as compared to the other Blackberry threads. See what I mean, Vern?

Does anybody feel the same way that I do?
    Aren't you whining about the whining? I'm just saying...
    05-21-09 02:13 PM
    Grammar, you're right dude the storm definitely has issues! RIM and VZW (and any other carrier involved) didnt do things as well as they could have.

.75, for me, wasn't good. I wasn't happy with teh phone. I do, however know people who ARE perfectly happy with the storm running .75

There are software issues and hardware issues. Might always be. Even by storm3 4 or 5

I haven't encountered many hardware issues personally. And the software issues are pretty much completely solved on MY end (as of .109 i started realizing this phone was for me, as of .113 i was happy, beyond that i have been thrilled. Lovin this phone experience)

I know results may not be typical. But MANY MANY of the reported problems are not typical either, when you think of the global storm userbase (just going by sales, nothing really concrete obv.)

My main beef (not with you) is with the users who bork up their phone software and really just get in over their heads.

Like the people back in the day who would fry their mobos after thinking overclocking sounded like a great idea without researching. (thankfully the failsafes in place now make it pretty foolproof)

Or the people who "always" seem to have viruses on their PC and don't even know how to format and/or reinstall an os on their computer.

The kind of people who download any and every third party app thinking this phone is foolproof when it is built on JAVA (which itself behaves like a bipolar girlfriend on the rag)
    05-21-09 02:51 PM
    Jesus. The point really never sunk in. Furthermore, you prove my point with this comment, thank you. It's all good my man, enjoy the leaks.
    Sorry chief. Your posts were long and I was probably really tired when I read it. Hard not to be lazy after running a couple miles.
    05-21-09 04:50 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD