Err you're not stuck with the phone if its been less than 30 days. How can you curse vzw for that? If its been more than 30 days shame on you...shouldn't take that long to figure out you hate it. I have minor problems but nothing an update can't fix. Sorry your luck sucked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-09 11:23 PM
    Did someone say something about a serious discussion? lol.
    01-02-09 11:24 PM
    idk...but i dont seem to have any of these problems and the accelerometer works great...im on 1XEV and my broser is far from slow.....that didn't sound like a discussion
    Ever hear the rock song that contains the words ..."He's the kind of guy that goes to start a Maserati and puts his key in the wrong little hole ?" 60's female hardrock singer...

When a computer gets loaded with apps (some of which are not designed to work on it) and memory starts getting short, bizarro symptoms appear from every angle. Read the last two days of blogs and get your Application Free Memory Space above 25 Mb.
    you mean the 1 app i have that i downloaded from the app center called aim that isnt running and how i have 32.35 MB of free memory available?

or are there some other recommendations that the blogs i already read are giving me?
    Err you're not stuck with the phone if its been less than 30 days. How can you curse vzw for that? If its been more than 30 days shame on you...shouldn't take that long to figure out you hate it. I have minor problems but nothing an update can't fix. Sorry your luck sucked.

all the techs kept promising updates and even reading the posts on here gave me hope.. i was just too stupid to believe everything and should of returned it.. its my fault and i accept that
    01-02-09 11:25 PM
    You can still return your phone until January 15th. If you dislike it that much, then I suggest you do that. It seems like your device is definitely faulty. Before I got my phone, I hated seeing people respond to problems with, "Mine works perfectly." I'm not saying mine works perfectly, because it doesn't, but based off of my experiences you have a bad phone.
    01-02-09 11:29 PM
    I've decided to take the Storm back and cancel my account, how BB could a release a phone with so many problems is beyond me.

Good luck to all
    01-02-09 11:29 PM
    here is my discussion... The phone has sucked since launch, and nothing but a complete hardware recall will fix it.

Glad I went back to my iPhone. RIM has really gone down a few pegs with this release. Good thing their target audience would buy anything from them and swear by them religiously.
    Pot....kettle? If there is such a target group to rival the bb followers it would certainly be i phone.

Make a video and send it to me in a mms then copy and paste your results into an email. we all got problems but thankfully none of mine are major like the I phones.

01-02-09 11:34 PM
    I am on my first (and only - no replacements here) Storm, since 11/27/08.

OP : the accelerometer doesn't know what its doing. my phone is constantly stuck in a side view mode when its perfectly up straight.

The accelerometer may be a little too sensitive for my liking, but it's OK for me. If it gets stuck in landscape, I turn the phone to landscape then back to portrait and it clears it right up for me.

OP : it turns off randomly.

Never had this happen to me.

OP : the keyboard is not calibrated correctly. often ill type something and its pressing another key

It can be a little sensitive and takes some getting used to, but I rarely click the wrong key nowadays.

OP : its beyond ridiculous i have to keep a cut up business card behind my battery for the screen to click right

Agreed - but people seem to have had a lot of success with tightening or loosening the screws instead of the business card fix.

OP : the sounds ( alerts etc ) randomly stop working

Never had this happen to me.

OP : the phone is dead or near dead before 1 pm

My battery life is acceptable. A good amount of use during the day and I still have 65-70% at the end of the day.

OP : it slows down to a crawl when ever its receiving data.

Mine slows down a little when receiving data, but I would hardly say to a crawl.

OP : the phone is slow and the fade effects are horrible bandaid at trying to make it look cool and smooth

the browser is SLOW

Personally, I've had it be slow.

OP : visual voicemail constantly stops working ( now i just press check for new messages )

Can't comment on this. Don't use VVM. I refuse to pay an additional monthly fee for it.

OP : its pretty dumb i have to have a 3rd party screen lock application just to be able to make a call with out muting it or doing many other stupid things ( yes i hold the phone with my cheeks sometimes but guess what. im not going to hold it lightly and have it fall and drop and break )

I've never had any problems with my cheek accidentally pushing a button when on a call.

All in all, I'm really liking the Storm. Admittedly, the software still needs a little polishing, but with the rate they're updating it (I'm counting the leaked versions here, as I've used the leaked .75, .83, and .85, and each seems to be getting better) I think most if not all of the software quirks will be worked out soon.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with it.
    01-02-09 11:36 PM
    Running stock!

Running perfect!

NO problems!

I love it! My wife and I have had our Storms for many weeks now and we think they are worth every penny and a boat load of fun!

Oh, oh, I have a rant! My rant is members who ***** and ***** but tend to not take the phone back and get something else.

Oh well I'm happy and that's ALL THAT COUNTS!!!!!!!!

Oh and thanks CB for all the help tips and tricks! ROCK ON! ROCK OFTEN! and ROCK WITH THE STORM!
    01-02-09 11:36 PM
    all the techs kept promising updates and even reading the posts on here gave me hope.. i was just too stupid to believe everything and should of returned it.. its my fault and i accept that
    The phone has 1 year warranty. Just keep returning them. Could be like a game. You could also sell the next replacement you get and buy any other phone you want?

01-02-09 11:38 PM
    I think maybe your expectations were set a bit high, which gave the phone no chance. Maybe you were expecting that the Storm was going to be the first device to be the perfect combination of both software and hardware, flawless in form and function? Or maybe you were hoping for it?

I really like the storm. It may not be the fastest phone, or have the best battery life. But once you stop testing it and start using it, it's pretty cool. It has an amazing screen, it's a great size and weight and is a really nice looking phone. Are there things I don't like? Of course. But there are a lot less negatives than there are positives.

To be fair, here are a some things I don't like about the phone: It's a bit slow at times, but that's usually when I'm testing it and trying to make it do something stupid; the battery life does suck, but this is my first smart phone so I have nothing to compare it to; the build quility of the phone is great, except for the buttons - they seemed to go a bit cheap on those; the click screen scares me a little bit - couldn't they put a freakin gasket around the screen to prevent the wobble, light leak and dust issues?

Even still, I think this is a really nice phone, so I'm willing to roll the dice that upcoming software updates will take care of some of the bugs. If not, the next best thing will be out when the time comes.
    Last edited by Bundy71; 01-02-09 at 11:42 PM.
    01-02-09 11:39 PM
    You can still return your phone until January 15th. If you dislike it that much, then I suggest you do that. It seems like your device is definitely faulty. Before I got my phone, I hated seeing people respond to problems with, "Mine works perfectly." I'm not saying mine works perfectly, because it doesn't, but based off of my experiences you have a bad phone.

you mean exchange right? they told me on the phone tonight that talking to tech support is my only option..
    01-02-09 11:40 PM
    So when are we going to have that serious discussion?

I think maybe your expectations were set a bit high, which gave the phone no chance. Maybe you were expecting that the Storm was going to be the first device to be the perfect combination of both software and hardware, flawless in form and function? Or maybe you were hoping for it?

I really like the storm. It may not be the fastest phone, or have the best battery life. But once you stop testing it and start using it, it's pretty cool. It has an amazing screen, it's a great size and weight and is a really nice looking phone. Are there things I don't like? Of course. But there are a lot less negatives than there are positives.

To be fair, here are a some things I don't like about the phone: It's a bit slow at times, but that's usually when I'm testing it and trying to make it do something stupid; the battery life does suck, but this is my first smart phone so I have nothing to compare it to; the build quility of the phone is great, except for the buttons - they seemed to go a bit cheap on those; the click screen scares me a little bit - couldn't they put a freakin gasket around the screen to prevent the wobble, light leak and dust issues?

Even still, I think this is a really nice phone, so I'm willing to roll the dice that upcoming software updates will take care of some of the bugs. If not, the next best thing will be out when the time comes.
    i wasnt expecting anything really. I was at least expecting it to work right. The fact it has so many "bugs" is just annoying. There are lots of awesome factors about this phone but the problem is there are just as many issues holding them back

its like owning a ferrari and having it break down in front of everyone daily. Some of my friends played with it and were like wow this thing is a POS.. they have bolds and curves.. Im in the same boat. i want to keep rolling the dice but these updates are just sad. .85 which isnt technically released is leaps and bounds better than 65 or 75 but still.. why did we even experience those?? Rim shouldnt of allowed the release.

I am a hard core BB fan. I swear by them but right now i am missing my curve.. which is from sprint so i cant simply swap back to it
    01-02-09 11:44 PM
    So when are we going to have that serious discussion?

Exactly. When you simply use this device, it actually works. It may not be perfect, but what is? If you're phone actually can't perform simple tasks, you have a dud. That happens - to every manufacturer and device type. Get over yourself - get a replacement, stop testing the thing like its a crash-test-dummy, and leave the internet bandwidth to actual discussions.
    01-02-09 11:45 PM
    Exactly. When you simply use this device, it actually works. It may not be perfect, but what is? If you're phone actually can't perform simple tasks, you have a dud. That happens - to every manufacturer and device type. Get over yourself - get a replacement, stop testing the thing like its a crash-test-dummy, and leave the internet bandwidth to actual discussions.
    its hard to get a replacement when the people on the phone wont replace it and the people at the stores are say wow your phone doesn't have any problems right now sorry..

3 weeks ago getting it swapped was easy.. now VZW stance is wait for the update
    01-02-09 11:47 PM
    My phone runs perfect.
    01-02-09 11:47 PM
    The Storm definitely has some problems.

Dust getting under the screen is ridiculous... I've had it for 3 weeks and I can already see a regular build up of dust. (Don't believe me, go to Google.com and look around the screen. Imagine what its going to look like in 16 weeks or 1 year)

Also, the light bleed around the buttons looks extremely tacky. The device seems really solid, but some of the design decisions are questionable.

The software is a lot smoother with .85, but the fade in/out transitions look terrible when they start to lag. I would much rather have the new window appear.

I agree with the OP, the accelerometer has a mind of its own. Everyone that defends it always says something along the lines of just flip it back and forth and it will be fine. What they don't realize is what is the point of owning this blackberry? I thought I was going to be more efficient? When you're in the middle of something and you want to quickly reply to a text message, you don't want to be flipping your phone around and waiting for screen transitions... you want to reply to the ******* message and put the phone back in your pocket.

I also have the problem of notifications not having a sound once in a while... which I could really care less about. But its there.

I really don't think they should have sacrificed usability for flashiness, but what can you expect when buying a touch screen phone? Its already limited out of the box without direct access to a keyboard.

With all that said, I would like to note that I'm probably one of the lucky ones because my phone has zero clicking problems, the brighter screen, no bleeding around the screen edges, and doesn't reset very often if at all on any of the official or leaked OSs.

I still think I might return this Storm and buy a used curve on Ebay until all the problems are worked out or until something better comes to Verizon.
    01-02-09 11:55 PM
    I don't like having "serious discussions" with people who don't have proper grammar. It makes it hard to read and I just can't take them... well... seriously.

On a side note: I'm using the original storm and haven't had any real problems. It's got some bugs, but it was JUST released. Prematurely, as well. Stop judging the phone as if it's been around for years, it hasn't. RIM's doing a good job releasing constant updates and you honestly sound like a whiny, consumer brat when you rant about how bad you have it. If you don't like it, no one's holding a gun to your head telling you to keep it.

Oh and btw...

i really dont care to see anyones reply sticking up for the phone. i have 5 friends with the phone and we all have the same problems.. you are a crack addict in denial if you think this phone is ready for prime time.
    Definition of "discussion" from dictionary.com

"an act or instance of discussing; consideration or examination by argument, comment, etc., esp. to explore solutions; informal debate."

Definition of "rant" from dictionary.com

"to speak or declaim extravagantly or violently; talk in a wild or vehement way; rave:"

Which do you think you did more of? If you didn't want to hear the opposition of your views then DON'T ask for a "discussion."
    Last edited by KoH; 01-03-09 at 12:02 AM.
    01-02-09 11:58 PM
    I was pretty set on replacing my ****ty Motorola Krzr with the Storm over an Omnia, but after reading this thread it has me thinking WTF! For a phone that had so much hype, it really bites to hear people talk about what a POS they think it is...

To the op, I hope things work out better for you, for how ****ty you think your phone is why not just getting something else?
    01-02-09 11:59 PM
    i fully wiped my phone and i am on .85 sooo

and hold the phone with no hands.. the screen will click down and do lots of random things
    i do worry about the clicky screen thingy. my palm treo lasted 3 years and it was still working fine when i replaced it with the storm. i have serious doubts this thing will come even close to that lifespan.
    01-03-09 12:00 AM
    Stop your crying - DONT LIKE JUST F*** RETURN IT. Many many many post just like this. Please do a search cause this post are getting old.
    01-03-09 12:01 AM
    i fully wiped my phone and i am on .85 sooo

and hold the phone with no hands.. the screen will click down and do lots of random things
    On second thought, maybe your phone is posessed.
    01-03-09 12:03 AM
    I find that often the people who have issues are much more vocal than the people who don't I can honestly say I don't have 95% of the problems the OP experienced. I have to wonder what the circumstances are that can cause a phone that seems to work great for just as many people as it does not work great. I know this does not help the OP but some people I just don't think the STORM is for & maybe he/she is one of them.
    01-03-09 12:03 AM
    First. The whole "The phone actually works" argument doesn't even make sense... Well ****, the first generation Blackberry worked too. Should I have not upgraded from that? The problems are that the phone makes the user less efficient than a normal Blackberry but draws them back in because it has a bigger screen, cooler look, and the best multimedia features that Verizon offers. When you take a look at the actual reason you own the device, to communicate with other people, it isn't quite up to par. Its laggy, the accel. is quirky, and it features a touch screen which ultimately limits the user already... (All of this coupled with the flaky manufacturing != a great device, rather a device that looks great but has some serious flaws)

And the GET A REPLACEMENT reply? Many people are on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, replacements. Does that not lead you to believe that the phone has problems? So the OP was correct when he said the device was not ready for prime time.
    01-03-09 12:06 AM
105 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD