Is anyone very advanced in how our OS works? Would it be possible to run the Odin's OS on our Storm, despite the hardware changes?

The goal is to use the Odin's OS to make our Storms completely touchscreen.
    Is it possible?
    05-21-09 03:06 PM
    rofl I love when people get ideas
    05-21-09 03:12 PM
    Who's to say this OS will be any better. They can't even get a full boot on that test unit yet. What I find hard to believe is that RIM would let someone look at a unit that was not functioning properly after the Storm debacle. Its like they are inviting smart remarks and derision. Hopefully its good, but actually finally rather pleased with .148 on my Storm 1 and will kinda miss the Suretype. I hope this Truetype thing works as well when making selections.
    05-21-09 03:14 PM
    I'm not too thrilled about the preview unit either. Sounds like more of the same, rush the unit to sale and maybe they can fix the OS by next year.
    05-21-09 03:36 PM
    Who's to say this OS will be any better. They can't even get a full boot on that test unit yet. What I find hard to believe is that RIM would let someone look at a unit that was not functioning properly after the Storm debacle. Its like they are inviting smart remarks and derision. Hopefully its good, but actually finally rather pleased with .148 on my Storm 1 and will kinda miss the Suretype. I hope this Truetype thing works as well when making selections.
    I am wondering whether the OS is compatible with our hardware.
    05-21-09 03:37 PM
    It's probably built off of the original Storm software. Wouldn't it be funny if Verizon released the Storm 2 with .75 on it?? :P
    05-21-09 03:41 PM
    I am wondering whether the OS is compatible with our hardware.
    It's RIM, a company known for reusing parts from device to device until they run out so probably. My guess is probably the same basic guts with maybe a little more memory since its almost free right now and possibly wifi which the current OS supports. We just don't have the chip on the U.S. phones. What else could they change really. The other changes seem to be cosmetic. The old phone is already capable of hardware acceleration and has pretty much the fastest mobile processor (not quite but almost). The software switch for a hard press on a fixed screen and a click on our screen is gonna be the same. No real reason for it not to work. I'm not only thinking that its software will work on our phones, but if you really wanted and experiment, I bet our current software would work on it. My guess is this thing will release a month or two earlier than the original since its about a month and a half earlier than we saw real machines for the first one and that they will release a comparable if not the same OS at or just before release to stop the mad rush of people demanding and upgrade. I also think, when that upgrade gets pushed thru there won't be a very big difference if any in performance or funcionality. At that point it will come down to do you like your screen to click or not.
    05-21-09 03:50 PM
    You ever try running incorrect drivers on your computer? It's not pretty. They may be similar hardware wise, but they won't be identical.

Although 5.0 is going to be more unified, they still need to account for the differences in hardware (especially input) somewhere. Considering how finite space is, I'm not sure they'd package the software that controls all the various types of input on each device.
    05-21-09 04:11 PM
    You ever try running incorrect drivers on your computer? It's not pretty. They may be similar hardware wise, but they won't be identical.

Although 5.0 is going to be more unified, they still need to account for the differences in hardware (especially input) somewhere. Considering how finite space is, I'm not sure they'd package the software that controls all the various types of input on each device.
    BBOS at its heart is nothing more than JAVA. As such, it has no drivers like you would see in Windows or Mac or Linux. Thats good, for RIM because it makes having such a large base of devices easy to program and easy to keep compliant with what we know as the Blackberry experience. Input is simply a 0 or a 1 switch, nothing more or less across the platform. Lets use the dreaded Iphone, another Java system as and example. 1 switch for light touch, 1 switch for telling whether or not its a light touch or a hard push, 1 switch for hard push. That is easily translatable to touch screen or click screen. Inputs are different, switches are the same. It also translates closely to wether you are moving around with a touch of the screen or a roll of the trackball if you move from the touchscreen devices and the trackball devices.
    Also remember, our current screens are already capable of what is being talked about. Yet another simple change of a software switch. Its a little different for that on the communications side, but not much. Just enough to make the current OS's incompatible from device to device.

What I was saying is that I don't think there is going to be any difference in the basic hardware ie. radio's, cpu, memory type etc., therefore it will probably be compatible though maybe they will bump up clock speeds. That would not make a difference. There may be additional hardware ie. wifi but that is already supported in the core OS. Of course this is all just conjecture, could be wrong.
    05-21-09 04:29 PM
    Will rim put out 2 VERY similar touchscreen phones with vastly different OS versions? probably not.
    05-21-09 05:18 PM
    If it's feasible for end users like us to steal the OS from the Storm 2, then that means the OSes are similar enough that RIM will probably just release the same OS for both. If RIM doesn't release the new OS for the Storm, it probably means it can't be done.
    05-21-09 05:19 PM
    Lets use the dreaded Iphone, another Java system as and example.
    Since when does the iPhone's OS run on a Java platform? iPhone runs a version of OS X, which is a UNIX kernel, NOT Java.

EDIT: And the iPhone does NOT differentiate between touch pressure
    05-23-09 10:09 AM
    Lets get a linux OS running on this baby.. watch it really come to life!

From there, then you can add graphical extensions.

Java is too slow. It's cross-platform, but its TOO SLOW.
    05-23-09 10:22 AM
    Lets get a linux OS running on this baby.. watch it really come to life!

From there, then you can add graphical extensions.

Java is too slow. It's cross-platform, but its TOO SLOW.
    Love that idea

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-09 11:07 AM
    It's probably built off of the original Storm software. Wouldn't it be funny if Verizon released the Storm 2 with .75 on it?? :P
    +1 Amazing! lol
    05-23-09 03:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD