View Poll Results: Love your Storm2?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • **** Yea

98 92.45%
  • No way hate it!!!

8 7.55%
    Does any one elses storm2 have the LED look somewhat dim? I noticed that on my phone the actual LED it self seems to be behind the bezzle (off center left) rather than exposed at the clear opening for light emission. I hope this is normal and not a defective phone (already) Thanks.
    10-31-09 12:17 PM
    Yes definitely very dim compared to s1 led. Not sure why.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-09 12:21 PM
    Yes definitely very dim compared to s1 led. Not sure why.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    When looking at the LED, it's behind the black bezzle. On other devices it's actually behind the opening for the LED. Strange RIM, very strange.
    10-31-09 12:23 PM
    Isn't the "thingy" at the top left of the led window just the ambient light sensor?
    10-31-09 12:29 PM
    Isn't the "thingy" at the top left of the led window just the ambient light sensor?
    When looking at all other blackberry devices, the LED actually is placed in that opening.
    10-31-09 12:44 PM
    When looking at all other blackberry devices, the LED actually is placed in that opening.
    the pale yellow round object in my LED window is NOT where the colored lights are coming from.
    10-31-09 12:45 PM
    Yea well i thought i had a problem with my storm 2 when i got it yesterday and i went back thinking there was somthing wrong with it and after opening 4 other storm 2s, the vzw tech guy just scratched his head showing me that all 4 have the same dim LED problem. Never had this many problems with my storm 1 when it came out. i think im gonna return it and wait for a new batch of storm 2s to come out with all these freakin problems fixed :-(
    10-31-09 03:12 PM
    Yup, definitely dimmer. For me, using the "bright" color settings in BerryBuzz generates more than enough color to allow me to see the light and differentiate between colors. Not using the "bright" colors... not so much. Thank you BerryBuzz
    10-31-09 03:22 PM
    And speaking of the ambient light sensor, mine doesn't seem to be reactive at all. My Pearl would change in reaction to ambient light, my S2 doesn't. Anyone else notice that?
    10-31-09 03:28 PM
    It is believed to be to allow colors to mix better like Purple, orange etc... I assume it's also why the "window" is scuffed on the inside....
    11-03-09 03:55 PM
    yea the two S2's I got both have the dim LED and I noticed when on a call the light blinks really fast for some reason way faster then the S1 did its weird but it doesn't bother me it is a great phone and other then that it works perfectly and I love it
    11-03-09 04:04 PM
    It blinks fast because that is the face sensor. The touchscreen locks when in close proximity to your face so that you don't accidentally touch the touchscreen with your oily, nasty-*** cheeks.
    11-03-09 05:44 PM
    The new BlackBerry Storm 2' 9550 LED light is not placed correctly behind the cleared out opening for it. In fact when facing the phone, the LED appears to have been installed to the left of the cleared out lens for it to shine through. When look at the phone from the left side you can barely see a flash. When looking at the phone from the top you can see a dim flash that doesn't catch anyone's attention. Only when you look from the right side of the phone you can see the LED through the lens super bright. It's so bright that you can be at eye level with the phone and still catch the LED.

Either the LED wasn't installed correctly or the cleared out piece for the lens wasn't made in the correct position.

I have confirmed this with another BlackBerry Storm 2 that I have and have compared this with my BlackBerry 8900 & 9000.

And yes this is annoying enough to complain about IMO. When on silent I rely on the LED indicators with the help of BerryBuzz to know when/what types of messages I'm receiving.

Here's a youtube video of my Storm 2 where you can see how you can't see the light at all from the right side of the phone and from the top is dim and from the left side is super bright.

Only face the BB from the left? :-/

Here's a video I made of it -
    11-06-09 12:21 PM
    Does any one elses storm2 have the LED look somewhat dim? I noticed that on my phone the actual LED it self seems to be behind the bezzle (off center left) rather than exposed at the clear opening for light emission. I hope this is normal and not a defective phone (already) Thanks.
    I have noticed this as well. On my Bold when I would play with the "White" led colors in BerryBuzz I would nearly get blinded every time it would flash. Not so much with the S2
    11-06-09 12:23 PM
    When looking at the LED, it's behind the black bezzle. On other devices it's actually behind the opening for the LED. Strange RIM, very strange.
    I agree. It's like offset from center of the clear part and set in the black part. Which is really bad because I rely on that. I have my phone on silent a lot and use the LED a lot and it's really bad on this phone.
    11-06-09 12:34 PM
    Yes its definitely off to the left....which IMO i like it like that because i use berry buzz to change my colors for different messages and it doesnt blind me while im typing.
    11-06-09 12:50 PM
    well let me explain the reason why its off center.....

there are three items within the led assembly..

the LED
    the proximity sensor
    the light sensor

the prox sensor has a scan range measured in degrees which is about 10 degrees from the center of the sensor. nothing can be in this range unless you want the output of the prox sensor to switch high (when your face is in the way)

this and the light sensor simply dont leave much room for the LED and it gets pushed to the bottom.

IMO the LED is much better than the S1. orange is actually orange and purple is actually purple
    11-06-09 01:00 PM
    i think someone else mentioned this..but i hope its not just mine.... on my led light opening..the upper portion of the opening is scuffed/wrinkly with tiny lines...the opening is not totally smooth..is your S2 led light opening the same or should i go exchange my phone...thanks guys
    Last edited by rockinfigs; 11-06-09 at 02:24 PM.
    11-06-09 02:20 PM
    I havent missed an LED notification yet. When I look at my phone I have no trouble distinguishing colors or whether the LED is blinking or not.
    11-06-09 03:19 PM
    Oh shoot I chose the "no" lol. The title was LED so I thought you were asking whther I like the LED or not and since it's not that bright I hit no... only then i realized it said "do you love your s2?"
    11-06-09 03:45 PM
    As stated before, There is a lot to cram now inside the led indicator window area. There is the face detection sensor, ambient light sensor and the led's. This appears to be the norm for the Storm 2. Hasn't really bothered me at all yet
    11-06-09 04:16 PM
    i think someone else mentioned this..but i hope its not just mine.... on my led light opening..the upper portion of the opening is scuffed/wrinkly with tiny lines...the opening is not totally smooth..is your S2 led light opening the same or should i go exchange my phone...thanks guys
    anyone...................?
    11-06-09 10:19 PM
    Mine seems bright and I downloaded the berrybuzz and it makes it brighter IMHO.
    11-06-09 10:39 PM
    I have same LED configuration - pushed too far to the left of the little window so it only blinks dimly from head on, better when viewed from the far right.

It doesn't bother me too much, but another posting had a guy that wanted to fix a big gouge in the bottom plastic under the command buttons. So a guy posted a site that you can get spare parts.
    What do you know?> they have replacement for the top panel with the window for $8.00.
    Now I know it will probably be the same part, but perhaps you could experiment and make the window bigger?

Try this site:
    BlackBerry Storm2 9520/9550 OEM top cover - Cellular Nationwide Network - Cellular Accessories -
    11-07-09 10:14 PM
    hmm, i seem to have that problem too with the LED. But if you guys are saying that they're sensors, every time i test it out it doesnt work like its suppose to. when i put my face to the phone and pretend to talk and purposely press the screen with my face it lights up and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it lights up when i move it from my face which is good. Sometimes when it on my face the screen stays lit. They shouldve spread out the sensors along the top part. Have the LED light at the usual spot, and have the prox and light sensor on the left.
    11-08-09 12:15 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD