the phone has been out for about 3 months now and IMO, still hasn't lived up to the hype

for the most part, there's still a substantial amount of bugs, the leaks haven't really done that much, and the phone fails miserably as a media player (the volume is low, the controls are poor)

So, IMO, it fails as a normal BB (it isn't as reliable or easy) and fails as a next gen touch screen device (the iphone smokes it in this regard)
    02-12-09 05:43 AM
    then this ought to make your day...

Verizon tidbits: Versa, Touch Diamond, Pearl 8230, and more - Engadget Mobile

I think the Storm will be passe in a few months.....
    02-12-09 05:59 AM
    No one is forcing you to stay. Wal-mart is having a great sale on iphones, and just about everybody has a sale on BB's!
    02-12-09 06:00 AM
    No one is forcing you to stay. Wal-mart is having a great sale on iphones, and just about everybody has a sale on BB's!
    once again someone misses the point and says "go get an iphone"

blows my mind
    02-12-09 08:19 AM
    For the 1000th time, leaks are not official code, they are incremental releases built and submitted to fix known/reported issues with the phone. You cannot complain about a leak not doing it for you because technically, you should not have access to it. Once all of the issues are resolved in a build, that build is approved by Verizon, the reason we have not had an official release since .75 is because not all reported issues have been resolved with the builds submitted thus far. The official version .75 is not great, but it didn't crash either and the basic functions of the phone worked. I recommend going back to .75 and waiting for the next official update since this is the only approved OS for the Storm at this point, otherwise as others have said, you should not be forced to live with a phone that doesn't meet your needs and there are alternatives.
    02-12-09 09:32 AM
    i completely disagree that the leaks haven't really done that much. the phone with .65/.75 vs .103 is night and day. take pictures and videos without errors, no more vzsod, media card inserted error, random reboots, screen rotation issues, and the device has been way more reliable. a lot of stuff has changed because of the leaks. anyone who says the leaks haven't done that much are not giving an objective opinion, are tragically biased, or (not to be rude) don't know what they're doing.

these are the types of people that are probably just incompatible with the storm. and it's true, if the iphone is what you're measuring it against and you don't feel the storm has improved, then the iphone might be your real soulmate. it is a good phone. and i heard that you get a free miracle from jesus when you purchase it. true story.
    02-12-09 09:41 AM
    then this ought to make your day...

Verizon tidbits: Versa, Touch Diamond, Pearl 8230, and more - Engadget Mobile

I think the Storm will be passe in a few months.....
    Eh ... HTC Touch Diamond...? It runs Winmo. :-/
    02-12-09 10:30 AM
    RIM is clearly struggling with the Storm, and if you need a reliable phone that works as it should, the Storm is simply not there and probably never will.
    02-12-09 10:32 AM
    ^ i have a wager going on with another cb member on the storm OS reliability/stability. he doesn't think the storm OS will ever be reliable or stable either. i have $10 that says we'll have an OS that puts all of that 'never' nonsense to rest by the end of march. would you like in on it? it would be a nice contribution to my happy hour fund.
    02-12-09 10:55 AM
    ^The clock is ticking. I see beads of sweat forming on your forehead. Be afraid be very afraid : )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-09 12:27 PM

blows my mind
    How exactly does it blow your mind that someone misses a point that doesn't exist?

The OP is just whining, which is at least in the proper subforum, there's no real point to the message at all. I mean seriously, if I don't like Pepsi, I'll move on to Coke or A&W. I don't sit around continuing to drink Pepsi and spending my days whining about it.

If you don't like the Storm, that's fine, but there's no point torturing yourself by continuing to use it when there are plenty of other phones out there to choose from. So if the Storm isn't doing it for you, take it back and find something that will. Granted I think good things will come to those who wait, but I certainly don't fault anyone for simply saying that the Storm isn't for them, and looking for something else. I do quickly lose patience with people who just whine endlessly about how they hate the Storm, but refuse to do anything about it.

You might feel that RIM and/or Verizon/Vodafone/Telus/Bell owes you something for letting you buy the Storm... I can't really change that, but I can tell you that you'll be waiting a very long time before you see anything.
    02-12-09 03:29 PM
    why do you come to this part of the forum if you don't want to see a rant?

go to your scholarly parts and go write an app or something. clearly, someone so wise should be applying their knowledge to the benefit of all.

as for me, im a half brain--if it doesn't work, im going to complain. leave us half brains alone
    02-12-09 03:33 PM
    ^ i have a wager going on with another cb member on the storm OS reliability/stability. he doesn't think the storm OS will ever be reliable or stable either. i have $10 that says we'll have an OS that puts all of that 'never' nonsense to rest by the end of march. would you like in on it? it would be a nice contribution to my happy hour fund.
    He's already lost.

.75 is stable and reliable for me. Game over.
    02-12-09 03:41 PM
    I just don't get the point of coming to a place like this to whine about how you don't like this or that. Cell phone choice is a matter of personal taste. I may not really be all that impressed with the Jesus Phone while some other random person might think it's the greatest cell phone ever made. That's all well and good, like I just said, it's a matter of personal taste. What I DON'T get, is people who come here and all they can say is how much they hate the Storm.

I could care less if they hate it, see above, but it just makes no sense when people p!ss and moan endlessly about it, but refuse to take it back and get something that they do like. Why torture yourself for 2 years (or more) with a phone you hate using?
    02-12-09 03:48 PM
    I just don't get the point of coming to a place like this to whine about how you don't like this or that. Cell phone choice is a matter of personal taste. I may not really be all that impressed with the Jesus Phone while some other random person might think it's the greatest cell phone ever made. That's all well and good, like I just said, it's a matter of personal taste. What I DON'T get, is people who come here and all they can say is how much they hate the Storm.

I could care less if they hate it, see above, but it just makes no sense when people p!ss and moan endlessly about it, but refuse to take it back and get something that they do like. Why torture yourself for 2 years (or more) with a phone you hate using?
    I don't get it myself. Some are understandably bitter because they were either too lazy or too stupid to return within the 30 day window and are now stuck with it.

For others, if it doesn't work, return it and move on!

The best, of course, are those who don't even own the phone and yet feel the need to chime in with their negative reviews. Sour grapes we call them.
    02-12-09 03:54 PM
    Just to chip in....

Even with the new beta firmware, I'm still relatively unhappy with the product as a whole. I'm not looking for a phone which does every feature wonderfully, some things can just be standard so long as other parts of it work as expected. With the focus on business and such, I expected the phone to do what Blackberry does best: easily receive emails, keep me well connected on IM mediums, stability, etc.

But instead, my findings and feelings are mixed. This phone should be amazing, it has all the stats to be amazing, but my experience says it isn't. The phone has already crashed for me four times in six days (battery needing removed style crashes) That is atrocious. If I had a computer crash four times in six days, it'd be going straight back to the shop and I'd be writing it off as a company to never buy again from.

The screen/click method itself is pretty nice when you get used to it, but one of the corners on my phone has no spring at all. When icon/links/etc are there, it's frustrating and feels like poor/weak design. Even AIM can't keep connected properly. Maybe that's the fault of the network rather than RIM, the MSN software seems to perform better.

Phones can't have it all - but this phone really doesn't do it at all right now.

Why torture yourself for 2 years (or more) with a phone you hate using?
    But that's the best advice. If you're having a hard time with it, get shot of it, and I'm seriously considering switching to the Omnia or Nokia N95.
    Last edited by Syrius; 02-12-09 at 04:01 PM.
    02-12-09 03:56 PM
    Just to chip in....

Even with the new beta firmware, I'm still relatively unhappy with the product as a whole. I'm not looking for a phone which does every feature wonderfully, some things can just be standard so long as other parts of it work as expected. With the focus on business and such, I expected the phone to do what Blackberry does best: easily receive emails, keep me well connected on IM mediums, stability, etc.

But instead, my findings and feelings are mixed. This phone should be amazing, it has all the stats to be amazing, but my experience says it isn't. The phone has already crashed for me four times in six days (battery needing removed style crashes) That is atrocious. If I had a computer crash four times in six days, it'd be going straight back to the shop and I'd be writing it off as a company to never buy again from.

The screen/click method itself is pretty nice when you get used to it, but one of the corners on my phone has no spring at all. When icon/links/etc are there, it's frustrating and feels like poor/weak design. Even AIM can't keep connected properly. Maybe that's the fault of the network rather than RIM, the MSN software seems to perform better.

Phones can't have it all - but this phone really doesn't do it at all right now.

But that's the best advice. If you're having a hard time with it, get shot of it, and I'm seriously considering switching to the Omnia or Nokia N95.
    I'd try a replacement or maybe the N95 (I have no experience with it though)

The Omnia is a joke (having owned it for 7 days before swapping it for a Storm)
    02-12-09 04:05 PM

Simple, some people are mandated to use Verizon through their work. Next question.
    02-12-09 04:21 PM
    Last time I checked, Verizon offered a ton of phones. Stop whining and go get one of those.
    02-12-09 04:25 PM
    I do agree the media player is a little light on the wow factor, but it functions well and does what it's supposed to. Plus I can listen to music without a cord going to my head. Every OS past .75 has fixed the low volume problem. Mine's louder than isht now. Video playback is spectacular on this phone, the camera works well for a phone, the video recorder is good, what else is there?

Other than rapid memory loss and somewhat slow typing response, I haven't found any bugs yet with .103. So far it's fast and stable, no reboots or freezes or anything.
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 02-12-09 at 04:32 PM. Reason: oops
    02-12-09 04:32 PM

Ok...I see your point...but its a damn RANTS and RAVES forum. Meaning there's room for both in here. Did you expect to come into this section and see a whole bunch of "I love my storm threads"? Some people are stuck with thier phone due to contracts. Yes they did have 30 days to make a choice, but many of us thought if might've gotten better over time. Well it did but marginally, and thankfully im not stuck in that situation.

Seriously all you are doing is contradicting yourself. Take your own advice and just stop entering this section of the forum if you don't want to hear people whining about the instability of the phone. Its never going to end honestly and i dont blame them for doing so.
    02-12-09 07:42 PM

blows my mind
    Ok. The Storm sucks sooooo bad.

Are you happy now?

Are you gonna get a cake baked to celebrate?

Does this admission make you feel like more of a man?

What exactly ARE you looking for?

Compliance and agreements?

Doucher.
    02-12-09 08:11 PM
    No? Well, then there ish no pleashing you.
    Last edited by Lawcheehung; 02-12-09 at 08:32 PM.
    02-12-09 08:24 PM
    Simple, some people are mandated to use Verizon through their work. Next question.
    When did VZW stop selling all other phones besides the Storm?
    02-13-09 01:45 PM
    Ok...I see your point...but its a damn RANTS and RAVES forum. Meaning there's room for both in here. Did you expect to come into this section and see a whole bunch of "I love my storm threads"?
    No. I don't care if people dislike the phone, but there's a difference between whining to get attention, and expressing a set of issues you have. Most of what gets posted in this place is the former and not the latter.

Some people are stuck with thier phone due to contracts. Yes they did have 30 days to make a choice, but many of us thought if might've gotten better over time. Well it did but marginally, and thankfully im not stuck in that situation.
    Then those people really only have themselves to blame. They had 30 days, they were unhappy with the device, and they chose to do nothing. I just can't bring myself to give a toss about these people.

Seriously all you are doing is contradicting yourself.
    I do jokingly say I'm a walking mass of contradictions, but in this case I'm being pretty consistent. You might think I'm being hypocritical, but that's a whole other issue.

Take your own advice and just stop entering this section of the forum if you don't want to hear people whining about the instability of the phone. Its never going to end honestly and i dont blame them for doing so.
    There's a difference, in my mine anyway, between whining and complaining. Complaining is a person expressing their frustration about a specific set of issues, such as the sluggish performance of the official releases. Someone who is whining will come in here ranting nearly incoherently about how Verizon and RIM both suck because the Storm isn't this miracle device they thought it would be. Or they'll say that RIM and Verizon should be sued because they don't like admitting that they were suckered in by the commercials, and are basically gullible idiots. Those people annoy me to no end. If people have specific gripes, and they leave all the free floating hostility nonsense out of it, I think that is very constructive in improving the Storm.
    02-13-09 01:57 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD