I don't think so. I think it's a good way for a provider to find out what bugs it has. Leak it, guys like us will load it and post our problems. They fix what they can and release it.

Just a thought or perhaps lack of coffee this morning.
    12-22-08 11:12 AM
    I would have to think RIM reads sites like this to get feedback but I highly doubt the OS's are leaked on purpose.
    12-22-08 11:35 AM
    honestly, i wouldnt be surprised if it is intentional... in an idirect kinda way. This allows for multiple beta testers in real conditions.

The way i see it... if we were not suppose to have it, rim would contact the admins and have them remove it right away.
    12-22-08 11:53 AM
    No it's not intentional. It costs RIM more money when OS's are leaked.
    12-22-08 11:55 AM
    I'm sure RIM has a dedicated team of beta testers (as well as others who get updates early such as BB developers), and the leak is just that a LEAK!

But as Garz pointed out they most of coursely (spelling intentional ) read Crackberry Forums.
    12-22-08 11:56 AM
    I'm a little confused by that statement... How do leaked OS's cost RIM money? I suppose that bricked phone could be the issue, but there are plenty of resources to help with unbricking.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 11:57 AM
    I am an IT professional for the military. Nothing is leaked on accident! It like other posters say it put out there for a test bed. To get real world feed back. Come on you know how tight application security it is? And you think some guy just walks out RIM with it on a pen drive and give to world??? Come on who would risk their 6 figure job to give you a free copy of an update? Also, why do you think it is so long after the leak the official comes out???
    12-22-08 11:58 AM
    I am curious, about the name of the upgrades. I understand that they cant change the name of the upgrade i.e. .83 if they make any kind of changes, but can an unofficial .83 be different than an official .83? If so, then I would think it's helpful, while maybe not intentional, to leak the updates. Otherwise, if they can't be changed regardless of official status then theres no reason to leak them on purpose.
    12-22-08 11:59 AM
    Yeah good question how does it cost them money???? it doesnt!
    12-22-08 11:59 AM
    I am an IT professional for the military. Nothing is leaked on accident! It like other posters say it put out there for a test bed. To get real world feed back. Come on you know how tight application security it is? And you think some guy just walks out RIM with it on a pen drive and give to world??? Come on who would risk their 6 figure job to give you a free copy of an update? Also, why do you think it is so long after the leak the official comes out???
    My point exactly. And people wonder why those who have access to these kinds of SW will not "give them out". lol

I am curious, about the name of the upgrades. I understand that they cant change the name of the upgrade i.e. .83 if they make any kind of changes, but can an unofficial .83 be different than an official .83? If so, then I would think it's helpful, while maybe not intentional, to leak the updates. Otherwise, if they can't be changed regardless of official status then theres no reason to leak them on purpose.
    The only difference between the leaked version and the Official version is one is stamped "Official". The leaks occur when the SW make it to Partners. Then someone from there leaks the OS.
    12-22-08 12:01 PM
    How is that cx?
    12-22-08 12:04 PM
    Yeah good question how does it cost them money???? it doesnt!
    See here is where you have zero idea as to what you're talking about. First off, the OS gets leaked. Then some inexperienced user tries to load the OS onto their device and bricks it. They try but cannot get it going again, so they take it to Verizon, and the device is still under warranty, so they issue a replacement. Verizon then ships the device to RIM. Who then get it, and upon testing to figure out what the problem is, find out it's only bricked, and that it was bricked trying to upgrade to a beta. So in the end RIM has to eat the price of a replacement. This happens all the time. I've spoken to 5 or 6 members who have bricked their phone with .83 and were taking it back today. Theres a lot that goes on behind the scenes regular people don't think about.
    12-22-08 12:05 PM
    I've posted this before.....

I have both the leaked and official versions of .75. If you load them into a program like Hex Workshop it will do a side by side comparison of the two programs highlighting any differences. There are large blocks of different code between the two versions.

I am not a programmer so I can't tell you what is changed. I can tell you it is not just text statements ie. version #'s or release dates (that I could read). All I can say for certain is that the two files are definitely NOT identical.
    12-22-08 12:05 PM
    My point exactly. And people wonder why those who have access to these kinds of SW will not "give them out". lol

The only difference between the leaked version and the Official version is one is stamped "Official". The leaks occur when the SW make it to Partners. Then someone from there leaks the OS.
    Would it then follow that when a leak occurs, one should expect an official version shortly?
    12-22-08 12:08 PM
    Would it then follow that when a leak occurs, one should expect an official version shortly?
    No because various builds are given out to test. It's up to the carriers which build they decide to use.
    12-22-08 12:09 PM
    It's doubtful hat a RIM employee leaked it. As people have mentioned on this forum previously, it's likely a Verizon beta tester who leaks after they get the update from RIM to review for approval.

12-22-08 12:11 PM
    You'd think that RIM would want to explain to vendors that its easy to fix a "bricked" BB.

It'd save RIM a lot of money in the long run I think.
    12-22-08 12:17 PM
    Well I am playing it safe I will wait until the official update comes out.
    I do a lot of maintenance to my phone anyway I just purchased mem viewer if I am recalling the name correctly which lets me view and do a quick clean I do a batt pull maybe once or twice a day; maybe three.
    I go into security and do a clean there.
    I have also removed the progs that I don't use.
    I like my system running smooth....................................
    I do hope as upgrades do come they will continue to improve on the memory.
    So I am in no hurry to chance using a leaked version of an upgrade.
    12-22-08 12:20 PM
    You'd think that RIM would want to explain to vendors that its easy to fix a "bricked" BB.

It'd save RIM a lot of money in the long run I think.
    Vzw employees deal with dozens of phones. To attempt to revive the phone with a full os install would mean more training and hassle for them. It's easier from their end just to swap it.

12-22-08 12:23 PM
    Another angle to this all, is that there simply isn't enough time between when the OS is leaked and an official version comes out for RIM developers to do much of anything.

They may very well be reading forums like this one, and looking for bug reports, but those would only go on the list to be fixed in the NEXT version. Even if someone finds a bug on the first day of the leak, by the time RIM developers can verify the bug themselves, then work out and implement a solution, odds are the carrier has already gone ahead and "blessed" the leaked version.

Software development, for those of you who have never written a line of code in your life, is a very slow tedious process. You write a little code, test it extensively, then write a little more code, test that extensively... And so on, until you have a finished product. That's the view from orbit as well. If you want to get in closer, there's a lot more involved, most of it very tedious and time consuming. It's not like someone could just bash out something like .83 in an afternoon, even if you use .75 as a starting point.

OS leaks are not accidental, but nor are they part of some secret beta testing plan. It's just someone trying to look cool by being the one who leaked a copy of the firmware. It's a giant, "Look at me and what I have access to!" sort of ego trip.
    12-22-08 12:25 PM
    See here is where you have zero idea as to what you're talking about. First off, the OS gets leaked. Then some inexperienced user tries to load the OS onto their device and bricks it. They try but cannot get it going again, so they take it to Verizon, and the device is still under warranty, so they issue a replacement. Verizon then ships the device to RIM. Who then get it, and upon testing to figure out what the problem is, find out it's only bricked, and that it was bricked trying to upgrade to a beta. So in the end RIM has to eat the price of a replacement. This happens all the time. I've spoken to 5 or 6 members who have bricked their phone with .83 and were taking it back today. Theres a lot that goes on behind the scenes regular people don't think about.
    I have to ask: don't many people brick their phones doing the 'official' upgrades anyway? It seems that no matter which way you slice it BBs are going to get bricked. Just my two hundredths of a dollar...

12-22-08 01:14 PM
    I have to ask: don't many people brick their phones doing the 'official' upgrades anyway? It seems that no matter which way you slice it BBs are going to get bricked. Just my two hundredths of a dollar...

The difference is Verizon can/will help with Official releases. That's not the case with beta software.
    12-22-08 01:17 PM
    you agree with mantray?

he said "nothing is leaked by accident" i read his post to mean that rim leaked it on purpose.
    12-22-08 01:22 PM
    Another angle to this all, is that there simply isn't enough time between when the OS is leaked and an official version comes out for RIM developers to do much of anything.

They may very well be reading forums like this one, and looking for bug reports, but those would only go on the list to be fixed in the NEXT version. Even if someone finds a bug on the first day of the leak, by the time RIM developers can verify the bug themselves, then work out and implement a solution, odds are the carrier has already gone ahead and "blessed" the leaked version.

Software development, for those of you who have never written a line of code in your life, is a very slow tedious process. You write a little code, test it extensively, then write a little more code, test that extensively... And so on, until you have a finished product. That's the view from orbit as well. If you want to get in closer, there's a lot more involved, most of it very tedious and time consuming. It's not like someone could just bash out something like .83 in an afternoon, even if you use .75 as a starting point.

OS leaks are not accidental, but nor are they part of some secret beta testing plan. It's just someone trying to look cool by being the one who leaked a copy of the firmware. It's a giant, "Look at me and what I have access to!" sort of ego trip.

yeah but it could give them time to put the breaks on release and tell the provders "hey we found a big bug with our beta testing, dont release it"

and then instead of officially releasing crappy software, they scrap that point release and release the next one instead.

lol to play devils advocate that is
    12-22-08 01:24 PM
    you agree with mantray?

he said "nothing is leaked by accident" i read his post to mean that rim leaked it on purpose.
    In a sense, but I don't agree that RIM leaks OS's on purpose.
    12-22-08 01:24 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD