05-16-09 06:26 PM
53 123
tools
    ok i'm srsly right now, guys...

network testing is testing in a controlled enviornment as well as real world implications, but they're not testing the "network", they're checking for any adverse effects the device could cause, taking too much bandwidth, creating interference for other devices, etc...
    [/srsly]

but the "real test guys" have this van full of devices and measuring tools for signal and stuff and drive around while the phones are active and they're "talking" to the network...we always speculated about what the recordings or signal actually were...i suspect a series of tones, similar to "close encounter of the 3rd kind"...
    Yeah, I hope you realize I was being funny in the above post. Usually the devices are hooked up with internal or external antennas and driven around in someones trunk or car checking for various things in the real world. And this is just that part of testing. They still need to test sound quality and screen video, camera, etc. results. There's no doubt it's not something that's quick, but I think they are wasting A LOT of time on testing versions that are probably isht to being with. The problem here is that they should be skipping over a few revisions... like the ones with the big obvious bugs that still didn't get fixed because they didn't notice them until 20 revisions later or something. That's my point... why not load up a phone real quick, check the basic isht and then go... hey, they finally fix those bugs in this one.... here, put this version through network testing and lets see what's up. I think that's part of the problem.
    05-16-09 05:51 PM
    Yeah, I hope you realize I was being funny in the above post. Usually the devices are hooked up with internal or external antennas and driven around in someones trunk or car checking for various things in the real world. And this is just that part of testing. They still need to test sound quality and screen video, camera, etc. results. There's no doubt it's not something that's quick, but I think they are wasting A LOT of time on testing versions that are probably isht to being with. The problem here is that they should be skipping over a few revisions... like the ones with the big obvious bugs that still didn't get fixed because they didn't notice them until 20 revisions later or something. That's my point... why not load up a phone real quick, check the basic isht and then go... hey, they finally fix those bugs in this one.... here, put this version through network testing and lets see what's up. I think that's part of the problem.

top half was serious, bottom half was joke, and yes my sarc-dar went off

i couldnt begin to speculate how they could streamline the testing processs, but i agree about RIM not sending EVERY build to VZW, this trial and error testing process is making VZW look bad. usually they're pretty good about this stuff. but then again they don't launch phones like the storm was when they sent it out. they sent the xv6800 back for almost a year before it was released...there was never supposed to be a winmo 6.0 release for the xv6700, but because the 68 couldn't pass, they had to bump the 6.0 onto the 67
    05-16-09 06:15 PM
    top half was serious, bottom half was joke, and yes my sarc-dar went off

i couldnt begin to speculate how they could streamline the testing processs, but i agree about RIM not sending EVERY build to VZW, this trial and error testing process is making VZW look bad. usually they're pretty good about this stuff. but then again they don't launch phones like the storm was when they sent it out. they sent the xv6800 back for almost a year before it was released...there was never supposed to be a winmo 6.0 release for the xv6700, but because the 68 couldn't pass, they had to bump the 6.0 onto the 67
    Funny how though after they released it they only took about 2 months to patch the GPS hole in VZNav people were using to enable system wide GPS without a cooked ROM. Ahhh, the neverending battle of developers vs the elite public. They work dilligently on something forever and we unravel it in half the time.
    05-16-09 06:26 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD