You're allowed to be cranky. I'm not even going to bother trying this one...I got burned by 895 and had to reload my apps and activation codes twice already for that garbage. I'm not going to go through all that again for the same problems.

Anyway, you're right. Those that claim they aren't having any problems aren't using all the features that were advertised to be part of the Storm2 experience.

And I haven't seen it posted, but I'm guessing that VZNav doesn't work with this one either. I need VZNav and OpenGL to work (without breaking other isht!) or I'm not going there...lol!

Oh yeah, and it's pretty freaking inexcusable that they have gone 400 builds or so without any improvements and only more and more new bugs. We should be mad!
    Agreed, except for that bit about not using my S2 "to the fullest"; that's not what I have one for. Anyhoo, you are totally correct - we should have a bug-free OS by now. Oh, and you might have some .895 remnants when you go to put .983 on, I still have reboot loop and the thin loading bar. Might have to redo things, but I'm almost willing to deal with it simply because I can have a normal conversation on the handset.
    10-19-10 08:03 PM
    maybe someone can give me a brief hand here. I have read the tutorials, and have upgraded my phone a few times with the loader. I deleted the vendor.xml file, but when I run the loader, it just shows the applications on my phone. No option is there at all for the OS. It doesn't show the old or new. I uninstalled everything BB on my computer and then re-installed this ver of the OS. Ran the loader (it updated itself first) but it still does the same thing.
    any ideas?
    10-19-10 08:03 PM
    Finally had a chance to do a battery pull. Volume rocker bug has been fixed. It works in all apps now.

The problem before was that the volume rocker and the long press to skip tracks would only work when the media player was the active application. While running in the background, the rocker and long press did not function. When you went into the native music app, it would work.

Anyhow, it works now after a battery pull.
    10-19-10 08:09 PM
    from reading these posts.. im not sure im going to do this build either... sticking with .713. not great.. but works
    maybe someone can give me a brief hand here. I have read the tutorials, and have upgraded my phone a few times with the loader. I deleted the vendor.xml file, but when I run the loader, it just shows the applications on my phone. No option is there at all for the OS. It doesn't show the old or new. I uninstalled everything BB on my computer and then re-installed this ver of the OS. Ran the loader (it updated itself first) but it still does the same thing.
    any ideas?
    you using "run as admin" for loader?
    When you get a chance, redo your install, and double-check before loading that BBmaps is set to install. After loading do one, maybe two battery pulls and see if that corrects the problem.
    Tried those already,just wanted to see if it was just me before I start looking further.Is your bb maps woking btw?
    10-19-10 08:13 PM
    well it's xp, so that has not been a prob in the past. the loader runs, but doesn't show an OS for me to play with. I also had this problem with .895, but after reading all the negative reviews about it, I didnt' pursue it any further. This may require a wipe and then the loader would have to see the OS to put on, wouldn't it?
    10-19-10 08:13 PM
    well, after installing the desktop manager again, it seems to be doing the update from there. Don't know why, don't care really.
    10-19-10 08:19 PM
    any ideas?
    Uninstall the OS, delete anything inside Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader\, and restart. Reinstall the OS you want again, and make sure loader.exe is set to run with admin rights.
    10-19-10 08:21 PM
    Yes. Still waiting for the Verizon release. Did this update the fix the Fr**king distorted audio, as when two people try to talk at the same time you get the robotic voices??? Don't play games or watch You Tube videos, just want a phone that works.
    10-19-10 08:25 PM
    well, after installing the desktop manager again, it seems to be doing the update from there. Don't know why, don't care really.
    dont do the desktop update. that one has terrible robotic voice.

desktop just asked me to upgrade to .895 but ill be updating to .983 instead.
    10-19-10 08:25 PM
    the only time i have gotten the phone to show the clock when charging is when i plug in the data cable, charger and cradle do not activate it
    Did you change the settings under the clock? One of them is to enter Bedside Mode when in cradle. Just asking...
    10-19-10 08:39 PM
    Does the radio work better? That is, bars, and how long it takes to dial?
    10-19-10 08:43 PM
    Tried those already,just wanted to see if it was just me before I start looking further.Is your bb maps woking btw?
    It is indeed
    10-19-10 08:44 PM
    dont do the desktop update. that one has terrible robotic voice.

desktop just asked me to upgrade to .895 but ill be updating to .983 instead.
    It's listing a leaked OS?
    10-19-10 08:47 PM
    Yes. Still waiting for the Verizon release. Did this update the fix the Fr**king distorted audio, as when two people try to talk at the same time you get the robotic voices??? Don't play games or watch You Tube videos, just want a phone that works.
    It did for a few of us, as previously posted.
    10-19-10 08:49 PM
    the only time i have gotten the phone to show the clock when charging is when i plug in the data cable, charger and cradle do not activate it
    The clock shows on my phone with the data cable and with the cradle if plugged in to the data cable. Anytime I use the wall charger it doesn't display the clock (whether in crade or not). Not really a show stopper though, just click the clock and it will display.

I'm not experiencing any of the other issues relative to the rock buttons and the lines when playing songs. I haven't made any calls so I can't speak to the call quality.
    10-19-10 09:43 PM
    It is indeed
    Copy that went back to .713 ill load it again later thanks.
    10-19-10 09:52 PM
    WOW - I love these people! - really? So in the media player - everyone else's phone has the flashing bar - - but not yours? And your games that rely on the open gl (Tank Recon3d, Need for Speed Shift 3d) work perfect on your device but all us complainers with the complaining Storms have issues. Please post a video of streaming 3gp on your device since RIM's own software engineers and technicians are stumped at how it broke and how to fix it. Or at least, tell us, where can we get one of your 'special' no issue 9550s?

Or is it that you either don't care about thoese issues or have not tested them on your device - - yet still felt compelled to come on and post.

Maybe what you meant to say was, "I don't care about any of the issues noted above and have not experienced any other bugs or issues that particularly bother me."
    First let me start by apologizing, I did not know it was that time of the month for you and I did not mean to be insensitive.

Second let me also apologize because I did not know that I was obligated to respond to the issues of all the previous posters.

The OS is working very well for me. What I have noticed since my first post is Weatherbug is not working. I will delete it and reinstall and see what happens.

I do not have the black bar media issue. All video plays fine, whether it's streaming or playing from the sd card.

I am not a big phone gamer, but just for you I downloaded the 3D Bowling preview and can confirm that the phone reboots when opening the game.

If you have any other issues you would like for me to address please feel free to ask.

Side Note: I hear chocolate helps during this time.
    10-19-10 10:00 PM
    When I first downloaded and installed, my BBM wouldn't start, kept getting error. I tried reinstalling, then deleting and reinstalling, but simply would not work. So I did a java wipe.

Upon second install, the computer couldn't find the software, but after I ran as administrator, it found everything and installed. Just finished installing all my 3rd party apps and so far, after a few early hiccups, it seems pretty good (knock on wood).
    10-19-10 10:02 PM
    so whats the verdict? Is this the one, at least for now? How about the robotic voice problem...is it finally gone?
    10-19-10 10:10 PM
    THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST OS on the STORM 2.. NO PROBLEMS YET EXPECT THE MEDIA PLAYER BLACK BAR IT GOES AWAY .... from turning it side to up ...
    10-19-10 10:17 PM
    bare with me as this is my first post.

i upgraded to .983 and the os is fast. I do have the flashing bar in media but that doesnt bother me. just flip the phone to horizontal and it will go away.

I tried 3D bowling and the game worked until i was about to take my first bowl and it rebooted my phone. weird thing about it is when it was restarting, my "loading bar" went to the small one like .8xx had when it would load. any body else get that?

Overall this os is great to my needs.

ps: just because this is my first post, doesnt mean i am new to a bb. got my first one in 07 and have been using cb for about 2 years now
    10-19-10 10:35 PM
    Does anyone know of a fix for the contacts not working? I can't even get the contacts app to pop up, it just freezes. I need this on my phone, i use it all the time. I can't sync my contacts with outlook or with google sync.
    10-19-10 10:35 PM
    5.0.0.713 was working perfectly for me, except for the robot voice thing. .983 seems like a step backwards to me. Unless anyone has events timed pre and post upgrade, I think the "speed" and "snappiness" is a placebo. I don't think it feels any different than 713, which I think was fine. Though I don't have numbers to back that claim up either

In addition to the annoying blinking black bar when playing media with album art...
    I am getting an audible click whenever starting MP3s

That is, the very first song I play will have a POP before play begins. Skipping between tracks is fine. If I stop playback, then click on a new track nearly every time I will get a CLICK as the song starts. This does not happen 100% of the time, but nearly every time. It also doesn't matter speaker or headphone. I'm getting the same result with both.
    10-19-10 10:43 PM
388 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD