OK I admit. I jumped ship last summer to the iPhone camp. Today I'm sporting an iPhone 4, and I must admit the infamous antenna issue is like a bad itch to my OCD tendencies.

Then it hit me: Why am I sticking with such a crummy carrier in San Francisco where my old Verizon berries did so well?

I'm entertaining the thought of switching back to VZW and possibly the Storm 2. Since it's been out so long now, I figure any potential issues may be know by now.

How's the build quality been? When I had the Tour last year, it really irked me that the earpiece plastic (the glossy bit that covers the blinky LED and earpiece) had a creak in it that I'd hear every time I put it up to my head. Any such phenomena on the S2?
    07-06-10 05:25 PM
    I've had my storm2 for almost 4 months now and have no real issues with it so far. I love my s2 and for the most part it has solved alot of the problems with the storm1. In essence the storm2 is what the storm1 was suppose to be.

I also have not experienced any issues with the "creaking" that you described with your tour or any other hardware issues for that matter. The surepress works perfect for me too. My biggest gripe about the phone is that the stock browser is not as fast as iphone's browser for loading web pages. But even that is not horrible and when OS 6 and webkit are released it should help alot.
    07-06-10 06:26 PM
    Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

07-06-10 06:42 PM
    So....you already got hold of the iphone4?

Got....30days to make phone exchange or return?

Congratulation!!! No prize but you be the first ever smarty to dump an apple for berry!!!
    07-06-10 06:49 PM
    Since you have used BB before, I will assume you already know the basics of the OS, you are aware that the UI is not as appealing as iOS4, you also know that RIM has not started using a Webkit browser making browsing internet on Storm 2 a bit trying, you will also know that there are tons of app for iOS4 that you will not find in AppWorld.

Having said all that, the build quality of Storm 2 is very solid. The reliability of the network is the best. You will get trusty messaging function of RIM, a phone that you will hold anyway you like and make calls (sorry I couldn't resist, LOL), a speakerphone/loudspeaker that is very loud and usable, a multitasking device that actually multitasks, ....do I need to go on?
    07-06-10 11:47 PM
    I went from iphone to Storm2.
    No regrets.
    07-06-10 11:52 PM
    My wife has a iphone and I wouldn't swap it for my s2. I have a touch and its great but I couldn't use an iphone because it is stupidly difficult to type on after using sure press. By the way I also have no gripe with the build quality. Its ezveptionsl to be honest.

07-07-10 12:22 AM
    My wife has a iphone and I wouldn't swap it for my s2. I have a touch and its great but I couldn't use an iphone because it is stupidly difficult to type on after using sure press. By the way I also have no gripe with the build quality. Its exceptional to be honest.

07-07-10 12:29 AM
    Thank you everyone.

Yes, I frequented this forum long ago when I was an addict. Now it seems I may be around here more often.

I WAS one of the "lucky" ones to be able to order the iPhone 4 on pre-order day. I was on vacation in Hawaii furiously trying to beat the borked ordering system on my iPad. I was successful.

Call me crazy, but I REALLY miss the BB's ability to assign ringers/vibration to each event (text, email, etc). I don't know why. I mean, being stuck with 6 of the same SMS tones as everyone else around you is a personal kind of ****.

Going to attempt visiting a VZW corporate store today in SF. They have a Storm 2 on hold for me. I will kick the tires first with a live model before committing.
    07-07-10 10:35 AM
    I went from iphone to Storm2.
    No regrets.
    BNIB 0mins talk time.....see my signature.
    07-07-10 11:25 AM
    The only issues I have with build quality are the "chrome" bezel and the battery door being slightly loose. I find that the bezel gets fine scratches on it from putting a silicon cover on the phone over time. It's only visible in direct sunlight, but it annoys me that they're there.

The battery door thing seems to be an issue on only some phones, not all. Mine is just a bit loose, but not anthing that affects the phone.

07-07-10 11:55 AM
    Loose battery doors don't scare me, thankfully. I usually shim those up anyhow! Phew.
    07-07-10 12:12 PM
    I've been rocking an S2 since November and while the early 5.0 OS was a real mess with constant failures; the latest two releases are solid and I the phone has not crashed once since updating to the latest versions of 5.0. I love this phone and with the latest tech on board it feels new again. Don't be worried, the S2 is still an incredible phone and I have no regrets about it.
    07-07-10 12:33 PM
    Loose battery doors don't scare me, thankfully. I usually shim those up anyhow! Phew.
    So have you got the storm2?
    07-07-10 12:35 PM
    You guys crack me up. I'm still at work! Although I'm leaving early to hit the VZW store...

Been reading up on syncing up my Mac's Address Book > BB via Google sync. Ditto for calendars. If there's an easier way, let me know!

Edit:

Wait a sec... BB Desktop Mgr for the Mac?! Wow I really am out of the loop. Does that support sync for contacts and calendar natively?
    Last edited by wirelessandy; 07-07-10 at 12:57 PM.
    07-07-10 12:40 PM
    Thanks everyone. Got the Storm 2 in hand. Now re-learning all the oddities of the BB!
    07-08-10 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD