Hi,

I am currently in the process of ordering a storm on Vodafone in the uk. Having expected the email capabilities to be pretty straight forward it appears that they arent!!

All of the uk price plans have been listed with unlimited blackberry email included, however it appears that this is only BIS and not BES (which i understand isn't available yet and is likely to cost another �28 plus vat per month ontop of a basic �34 package

My question is this - is BIS going to be suitable for someone with a business email and a couple of personal email addresses?
    Synching calendar and contacts is nice but not essential.

Cant beleive vodafone are charging so much for BES!!
    11-26-08 03:55 PM
    I'm in the US and also a newbie so I might not be the best source but here's my 2 cents anyway. I have BIS and love the Storm for everything but my corporate email. I was also willing to give up the ota syncing of calendar and contacts but the slowness of my corporate email push is too much. I am averaging 15 minutes from when the email posts on my exchange account till it makes it to my Storm via their online push. I've tried every which way (POP3, IMAP and HTTP) settings on the Verizon Blackberry setup page but no better response. My company will not get a BES so I'm stuck. The phones going back and I'll have to switch back to the dark side / ages Windows Mobile.
    11-26-08 04:12 PM
    You'll have BES soon, right? Wasn't it just some minor issue that had to be resolved between Voda and RIM?

BES is working great for me here. But I'm on GroupWise, which stinks, so internally I forward all my email to my GMail account for faster archiving / searching / remote access.

I could just as easily forego the BES and manage my company email through the GMail ap, which is working great for my personal GMail account.

But my monthly cell phone stipend from the company gets a heafty boost for BES services, so I'm sticking with it, because they're paying me to!
    11-26-08 04:18 PM
    Hi,

I am currently in the process of ordering a storm on Vodafone in the uk. Having expected the email capabilities to be pretty straight forward it appears that they arent!!

All of the uk price plans have been listed with unlimited blackberry email included, however it appears that this is only BIS and not BES (which i understand isn't available yet and is likely to cost another �28 plus vat per month ontop of a basic �34 package

My question is this - is BIS going to be suitable for someone with a business email and a couple of personal email addresses?
    Synching calendar and contacts is nice but not essential.

Cant beleive vodafone are charging so much for BES!!
    umm... now I have no clue if its differen't then the usa but I would really assume not.

Basically what BES does is allow you to authorize on a business server. If you are just using emails like google and so on you only need BIS. and as far as the cost. Here in the USA bes is quit a bit more expensive as well.

basically to sum it up with BIS you are able to connect to imap/pop3 accounts
    11-26-08 04:20 PM
    When I bought my storm, I was gung-hough on getting set up with the BES. When I found out just how much control the company has when the device is attached to a BES, it scared me. If the company had bought it, that's one thing. But, I bought this Storm, and I'd like to retain the ability to use my camera, and use Google talk, and send SMS messages, and surf the internet without a proxy, and...

So, I've got my corpoate email set up using BIS and Outlook Web Access. You can read more about that here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/cor...w-o-bes-96850/

The calendar and contact sync is only via cable, but there are google options to get around this.

The overall corporate email over BIS via OWA is tolerable. The reconciliation between the Storm and the actual Inbox gets off sometimes, but ususally rights itself in about 10 minutes or so.

So, I'm satisfied so far with only BIS. Your resuts may vary.
    11-26-08 04:26 PM
    Verizon is also charging more for BES access because they know we'll expense it anyway. My previous company had access via BIS and believe me I wasn't happy when I found out I couldn't access my email at 4pm on a Friday (launch day). Point is: they know they can screw you on the price of a BES plan and they will because they know your company will pay.
    11-26-08 04:27 PM
    Thanks for the repsonses maybe BIS will be ok - shame though was looking forward to the full crackberry dose!
    11-26-08 04:31 PM
    Thanks for the repsonses maybe BIS will be ok - shame though was looking forward to the full crackberry dose!
    Install BB Desktop Manager on your work PC and say to install using exchange server ( forget the exact wording but you have two choices personal email or work). I did this at work and my Storm wirelessly syncs with my work calendar, email, and contacts. I do not have BES.
    11-26-08 04:46 PM
    nice. will give it a go thanks.
    11-27-08 03:43 AM
    Verizon is also charging more for BES access because they know we'll expense it anyway. My previous company had access via BIS and believe me I wasn't happy when I found out I couldn't access my email at 4pm on a Friday (launch day). Point is: they know they can screw you on the price of a BES plan and they will because they know your company will pay.
    I am confused, all i have is the regular plan and i setup a BES server and it works fine. am i to expect a magic bigger bill at the end of the month?

or is the added cost the price of the BES itself? cause i got 1 free CAL for the pro version of BES.
    11-27-08 03:49 AM
    I am confused, all i have is the regular plan and i setup a BES server and it works fine. am i to expect a magic bigger bill at the end of the month?

or is the added cost the price of the BES itself? cause i got 1 free CAL for the pro version of BES.

unfortunately I cant answer this for certain.. It was my understanding that verizon does not let the device connect to a BES server without a BES plan. If I am mistaken please inform... But that is really the only benefit of a BES plan.

as stated in earlier posts I would not put my personal phone on a work BES. They control it once you do.
    11-27-08 04:45 AM
    unfortunately I cant answer this for certain.. It was my understanding that verizon does not let the device connect to a BES server without a BES plan. If I am mistaken please inform... But that is really the only benefit of a BES plan.

as stated in earlier posts I would not put my personal phone on a work BES. They control it once you do.
    All i know is this, i was on the unlimited data plan for my winmo device, the full plan, the one that allowed push email. i think either $35 or $45. when i changed to the storm they said my plan would change to a BB plan, but price would be the same. and it works with BES no problem.

maybe there is a chaeper plan for $30 or $25 that only allows BIS and a BES plan for $40 or $45 and thats why my plan price is the same as before?

someone please chime in ehre, i really want to know whats up with this. i will freak if my plan goes up $50 a month without me knowing!
    11-27-08 05:34 AM
    All i know is this, i was on the unlimited data plan for my winmo device, the full plan, the one that allowed push email. i think either $35 or $45. when i changed to the storm they said my plan would change to a BB plan, but price would be the same. and it works with BES no problem.

maybe there is a chaeper plan for $30 or $25 that only allows BIS and a BES plan for $40 or $45 and thats why my plan price is the same as before?

someone please chime in ehre, i really want to know whats up with this. i will freak if my plan goes up $50 a month without me knowing!
    Verizon Rates:

Unlimited Plan w/ BIS - $29.99
    Unlimited Plan w/ BES - $44.99

Tethering w/ BIS - $30 (Total = $59.99)
    Tethering w/ BES - $15 (Total = $59.99)

Sounds like you have the Unlimited Plan w/ BES.
    11-27-08 07:09 AM
    nacho, thanks so much for clearing this up. i must have that

and if i dont, i aint gonna complain
    11-27-08 03:20 PM
    Mrfruit

Have a look here

//forum.vodafone dot co dot uk/index.php?showtopic=12338

Obviously change the dot to . and stick http: in front.

This link is to the Vodafone forum in the UK and explamnis BIS and BES.

If you are running for example Exchange 2003 at work with Outlook Web Access enabled then you can get your work email via BIS. As said before your contacts and calendar are synched over the air. You install Desktop Manager from the CD and you sync when you plug it in.

Hope that helps.
    11-27-08 03:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD