Had Storm for a week now...having trouble typing...always seem to click the wrong thing in the menus (fat fingers maybe?) and phone seems to get "stuck" or frozen all the time. Reception is definitely way worse than on my 8830. Cant get a signal on probably 20-30 percent of my commute (used to be maybe 5%). Constant complaints from wife that I sound garbled. Press mute button with my cheek sometimes....Phone seems unable to answer a call without pressing "answer" four or five times. Overall, dissapointing. Upside - slick phone...love multimedia capabilites. I think Ill stick it out and see if the updates coming fix it. But Ill keep my 8830 as a backup because this thing is real buggy right now. Too bad because I salivated for months waiting for this thing...
    12-18-08 10:06 AM
    so I shouldn't get the storm?
    12-18-08 10:08 AM
    I loved my 8830, but I think the Storm will grow on you as time goes on. The typing improves drastically with use (it took me a while to hit keys on the left with my left thumb and right with my right) although one handed is impossible in landscape mode.

I feel like the more I use it the better I like it. And with upcoming updates, performance will only improve.
    12-18-08 10:14 AM
    Had Storm for a week now...having trouble typing...always seem to click the wrong thing in the menus (fat fingers maybe?) and phone seems to get "stuck" or frozen all the time. Reception is definitely way worse than on my 8830. Cant get a signal on probably 20-30 percent of my commute (used to be maybe 5%). Constant complaints from wife that I sound garbled. Press mute button with my cheek sometimes....Phone seems unable to answer a call without pressing "answer" four or five times. Overall, dissapointing. Upside - slick phone...love multimedia capabilites. I think Ill stick it out and see if the updates coming fix it. But Ill keep my 8830 as a backup because this thing is real buggy right now. Too bad because I salivated for months waiting for this thing...
    I kinda feel same way.

I just hate every time I pick the dam phone up I have to turn and twist just to dial a number. And if its locked - forget it - it is so slow unlocking that half the time I ask my self "did I hit the unlock" (which is 50/50) so then it unlocks and locks again. Ugggg.
    12-18-08 10:16 AM
    I gave my 8830 to a friend of mine a week after I got the Storm.

I love it so much more than my 8830.
    12-18-08 10:17 AM
    Word! I miss my 8830 too. It was such a great friend to me! Never gave me a moment's trouble!

I've had the storm since launch and even tho it has it's problems, I still love it. Lots of adjustments to make including getting used to not having a track ball and more steps to making a call but whatever! The coolness factor of the storm is still very much alive for me!
    12-18-08 10:20 AM
    Seems like a common sentiment. Im gonna stick it out for awhile. Maybe here will be a magic update that cures what ails me. I dont miss trackball, Rooster! In all, Im still glad I got it...Its been an entertaining toy this week. I just hope they can correct the issues. The poor reception is particularly troubling....
    12-18-08 10:23 AM
    Seems like a common sentiment. Im gonna stick it out for awhile. Maybe here will be a magic update that cures what ails me. I dont miss trackball, Rooster! In all, Im still glad I got it...Its been an entertaining toy this week. I just hope they can correct the issues. The poor reception is particularly troubling....
    Were you already with verizon before you got the storm? Might be that verzion particularly doesn't have good reception where you're at which would be weird
    12-18-08 10:41 AM
    ive had verizon for years. odd. every phone ive had gets great recepton at home...but the storm is awful at home. almost unusable.. and im not in the woods, either.
    12-18-08 01:02 PM
    Iam happier with that Storm that what I originally thought I was going to be. However I have to admit that if the 8830 had a camera or at least Verizon allowing it to send/receive MMS I probably would have kept it and not got the Storm.
    12-18-08 01:15 PM
    LOL. My wife and I both had 8830's until I got my Storm. I used to be MONEY with the trackball. Every once in awhile I play w/ her phone for nostalgaic purposes and the trackball just drives me nuts now! I like my Storm better now BUT - I'm WAY better at Brickbreaker on her phone than I am on mine!! LOL
    12-18-08 01:18 PM
    I will be honest, there are issues (which I expected, and ppl have said multiple times)

The problems I experience are, still a little sluggish when scrolling the menus.. does lock up from time to time, (maybe I am asking it to o things too quick) and has rebooted twice.

The nice thing is I have never had a BB so I didn't have much in the line of expectations or ability to compare to other BB as this is a first.

With that being said though, I have fallen in love with the phone. The media player is great, the web access is fantastic, typing has gotten 100% better and continuing, and not any real issues with "phone" portion of it.

Never had the issue with answering, just use the physical button..
    12-18-08 01:23 PM
    ive had verizon for years. odd. every phone ive had gets great recepton at home...but the storm is awful at home. almost unusable.. and im not in the woods, either.

Would a *228 call to VZW be appropriate now? I know it's a brand new phone but since your reception is less than stellar.....
    12-18-08 01:23 PM
    Yeah. I've had the same felling about my pearl. but storm rules... When it's not in bad mood!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 01:25 PM
    I feel your pain haha... I've had my storm for almost a month now and am trying to decide if I am going to keep it now that my 30 days are almost up. I have 2 days to decide and thinking about returning it to get the Curve although I have never had one. I will however miss the bright screen display and multimedia functions, but with all the bugs/problems that I've had on this phone that tend to slow me down, I think the switch will be worth it. Also the cheek hit on the sure-press screen is annoying as **** along with the 'fat finger' syndrome haha.
    12-18-08 01:34 PM
    Let me preface my remarks by saying, I'm not taking shots at anyone or calling anyone out or whatever.

I've had the 8700c and the 8830 over the last 2 years and without a doubt, I love the Storm in comparison to either. There are some definite advantages to have a true tactile keyboard, but the features, abilities and even the touch aspect of the Storm is far beyond comparison to either of the previous two. I am a techno-geek, to steal a stupid stereotyped name, and maybe it's just the fact that I was using my Storm, 24/7 when I got it and the learning curve was short. I'm sure there are some on here that would call themselves the same and have a 180 degree opposite opinion. But it's possible that the Storm is being:

• Compared to the iPhone in terms of quality or functionality
    • People aren't used to the touch aspect
    • People truly prefer a tactile keyboard, but LOVE the idea of a touch device
    • <Insert opinion here>

For any of the reasons, it doesn't really matter, know that it isn't an iPhone, it doesn't have a true tactile keyboard, even though it "acts" like one and it IS a touch device that is FAR different from what you may have been used to for the past year or however.

Give it some time and learn how it works. With updates and revisions to the software, you will more than likely like the device.

Again, everyone has their preferences, but if you are attempting to try the device because you like the look of it or the touch aspect, it WILL take getting used to depending on your level of experience.

With that, I hope anyone who is truly unhappy with after giving it an honest try will find whatever device will suit them.
    12-18-08 01:37 PM
    I too really enjoyed the 8330, but I had more problems with that phone than I did the storm. In a three month period, I went through 2 (3 if the storm didn't come out) 8330's. Each time my trackball would become non functional and Verizon was at a loss as to why. (And I've removed the ball, cleaned it, did a battery pull, reinstalled the OS, etc).

In three months I came to hate the 8330 because of the trackball. That said, the 8330 was a great phone in every other way.

To date, this is my second Storm. The first had an unresponsive screen in the corners. This new phone seems to be operating better, though in the past two days, I've experienced two random reboots, and one lockup. I'm starting to get concerned about this one as well.

So far though, I'm mostly content with the storm.
    12-18-08 01:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD