I dunno about that pic, if it is running OS 6.0 it doesn't look like the OS is taking up that much memory. I don't see why a device with 256 couldn't run it. Yea it wouldn't boot up with 130 like it is now, but still. 256 should be enough.
    04-22-10 02:10 PM
    i sure hope so... my phone is pretty new...(8530 256mb) and to be stuck with an os, no higher than 5.0 sounds pretty crappy.. makes me feel like i got jipped..
    Last edited by fedge; 04-22-10 at 02:26 PM.
    04-22-10 02:19 PM
    I keep drooling over the android incredible and if I find out my s2 wont be getting 6.0 I'm pulling the trigger and going over to the dark side..
    04-22-10 02:20 PM
    I'm sure RIM will do there best not to let the 6.0 OS use a ton of memory
    04-22-10 02:29 PM
    i sure hope so... my phone is pretty new...(8530 256mb) and to be stuck with an os, no higher than 5.0 sounds pretty crappy.. makes me feel like i got jipped..
    when we got our devices, they were sold based on the features/functions they include. So you got what you paid for.

RIM didn't make any promises that any/all currently sold devices will run OS 6.x. And there isn't a "Ready for OS6.0" sticker on these things.

Yes it stinks that you purchased a device today, locked into a 1yr or 2yr agreement with the wireless carrier, and there is a chance that to get OS6 you'd have to buy a new device. BUT again, you got what you paid for. A device that does today, what it was advertised as doing today.
    04-22-10 04:10 PM
    when we got our devices, they were sold based on the features/functions they include. So you got what you paid for.

RIM didn't make any promises that any/all currently sold devices will run OS 6.x. And there isn't a "Ready for OS6.0" sticker on these things.

Yes it stinks that you purchased a device today, locked into a 1yr or 2yr agreement with the wireless carrier, and there is a chance that to get OS6 you'd have to buy a new device. BUT again, you got what you paid for. A device that does today, what it was advertised as doing today.
    true... forums are for opinions... and that was mine, take it for what you will..
    and in my humble opinion it just sucks if i can't use 6.0
    04-22-10 04:16 PM
    ...and in my humble opinion it just sucks if i can't use 6.0
    I'll be very happy if we can use OS6 on our current devices.

And I'll probably also say "that sucks" if we can't.
    04-22-10 04:20 PM
    What does the title has to do with Kevin?
    04-22-10 04:33 PM

An its comments and logic like this that makes me want to leave the Blackberry platform.

Yes shame on us, yes they sold it as is, yes it sucks that you are locked into a two year plan.

An yes it will suck when people like myself start fleeing the sinking ship if they are in fact not planning to support devices that are not even 8 months old with OS 6.0.

When Android can get out higher builds for the ancient G1 there is no reason RISM shouldn't be able to follow suit.
    Last edited by Valace2; 04-22-10 at 04:57 PM.
    04-22-10 04:54 PM

Yes, you are absolutely correct. And ... I love my Storm. But ... as I move forward, the first phone that has support for 4G and a good Browser will get my money. When all things are said and done, it is how I feel I am treated by a company, after the sale. I don't have any right to expect OS 6.0. On the other hand, we have been promised the Webkit browser for some time. If my Storm can not support the new browser, then I have to get a new phone and I will look at all of the companies where I will be influenced by what the company has offered and where the company is going, not just empty promises.
    04-22-10 05:34 PM
    Yes, you are absolutely correct. And ... I love my Storm. But ... as I move forward, the first phone that has support for 4G and a good Browser will get my money. When all things are said and done, it is how I feel I am treated by a company, after the sale. I don't have any right to expect OS 6.0. On the other hand, we have been promised the Webkit browser for some time. If my Storm can not support the new browser, then I have to get a new phone and I will look at all of the companies where I will be influenced by what the company has offered and where the company is going, not just empty promises.
    Wasn't really promised, but it was heavily implied that we would be able to use it.
    04-22-10 06:20 PM
    ...then I have to get a new phone and I will look at all of the companies where I will be influenced by what the company has offered and where the company is going, not just empty promises.
    The way RIM has been acting over the past year... I expect there are MANY of the BB faithful who will be moving on to phones by other makers...

And from a personal perspective, I definitely understand why. And I certainly wouldn't/couldn't argue.

If RIM doesn't come out with at least the Web Kit browser for current models, I think they are doomed in the consumer market.
    04-22-10 08:04 PM
    I would love to be able to run OS 6 on my S2 and will be a bit unhappy if I can't, but what will really PI$$ me off is if they don't have some version of the Webkit browser for us. THAT will probably be the last straw because they have been working on these things since before the S2 was released. There is NO reason why all current BB's can't run a better browser and could have/should have been running one two years ago, even if there were to be two different versions of it.

But then again, RIM seems to be the master of always screwing the customer lately. They need to get their isht (hardware and software) in alignment and stop releasing things at random that don't work with other things released at random.

And why the %&$* does it take so long to make a web browser? I bet I could learn programming and create one myself faster than they can!
    04-22-10 09:27 PM
    <snip>And why the %&$* does it take so long to make a web browser? I bet I could learn programming and create one myself faster than they can!
    Let me know how that works out for you.
    04-22-10 10:30 PM
    ...When Android can get out higher builds for the ancient G1 there is no reason RISM shouldn't be able to follow suit.
    It depends on if the OS is that bad that they can't tweak it to fit on less memory devices, or if they feel they don't want to spend the time/money to retro fit certain devices.

Either way doesn't bode well for RIM does it?

I *HOPE* that all devices with 256meg memory get OS6.

RIM *HAD* a pretty good track record of upgrading older devices... way back when... but lately they've seen to shorten their support window on devices.

Then again, I see OS6 like I see OS5... not much better than 4.7 and 4.5 OS.

Would I love to have the latest and greatest device? with the latest and greatest OS... Sure, I think we all would. I just don't have a lot of faith it will come.
    04-23-10 01:11 AM
    Kind of a tangent... but I'm tired of everyone saying that we get a phone for what it can do right now. Frankly, I bought a phone that should stay current for at least the length of my contract. Although I expect better hardware to be released, I bought the storm2 because it was brand new hardware, by far the best BB available (when I got it the day it was released), and was going to be able to stay up to date for the duration of my contract. There is a reason why I won't be buying any apple mobile products and may never buy blackberry again. If a company is building a product based on yesterday's standards rather than tomorrow's possibilities then its obvious they are not focused on innovation and their customers, just money. Technology companies should be focused on innovation. Businesses should be focused on satisfying their customers. That is what should be making RIM a successful business. We'll see whether RIM follows the path of innovation set by HTC or minor evolutions like apple.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-10 01:26 AM
    Let me know how that works out for you.
    OK, I might have exaggerated a bit...I couldn't even figure out how to make a theme...lol!

BUT, these are people that are supposed to know how to do this stuff. Maybe the programmers take lots of breaks?
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 04-23-10 at 01:48 AM. Reason: spelling
    04-23-10 01:48 AM
    I don't think this is a RIM only approach, my other half has an android phone (model escapes me at this exact second, HTC something or other!) and they aren't releasing 2.1 for it despite it being newer than my storm 2. I guess it's just the rate that companies perceive technological redundancy to be occuring.

And let's be honest, companies screwing over consumers is hardly a fresh new idea!
    04-23-10 02:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD