I'm too damn anxious and can't wait 6 months for the storm 2 so I am looking to upgrade from my curve to the storm. I'm a carpenter and I NEED to keep my phone on me and I get pretty dusty. Short of putting the phone in a ziplock bag, are there any cases out there that pretty much seal up the phone from dust. If not, how well does the otter box work. Will it keep ALL dust out? and is it something I can put on in the morning and take off when i get done work?

Thanks a lot!
    05-30-09 11:12 PM
    I have no experience with the OtterBox, but I find the Case-Mate SmartSkin does a pretty good job of keeping dust out since it covers the sides of the screen and bottom four buttons. It won't offer as much protection as an OB, but it does a fairly great job at it. The rubber is pretty thick.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 11:15 PM
    Dude I just had my house redone...I did most of it with my phone in my pocket and a layer of
    Fine white dust everywhere else....I have little to no dust and I was using a siedo case
    Just take a little extra care to clap your hands off before you use the phone...I also kept it
    Face down if I had it on a counter.

05-30-09 11:21 PM
    05-30-09 11:30 PM
    Really? I'm worried because my pockets fill up with dust because we're always cutting lumber and making dust. Does the siedo case cover the outside of the screen?

05-30-09 11:46 PM
    Dude if you have pockets full of dust this isn't the phone for u......unless the otter box is that good
    But I do not know anything about it sorry.....I never dealt with pockets full of dust...but I do like
    A good game of pocket pool...

05-30-09 11:50 PM
    I think either the otter box or the new seidio innocase 360 that pkcable linked to should work well for you. Personally I am a big fan of seidio because of the look, feel and how light and thin it is. Haven't tried the new one but it looks much smaller than the otterbox but both offer full coverage.

05-30-09 11:52 PM
    How about a pouch or holster for you belt that over laps and fully closes...that should keep the dust
    Bunnies away.

05-30-09 11:58 PM
    Really? I'm worried because my pockets fill up with dust because we're always cutting lumber and making dust. Does the siedo case cover the outside of the screen?

That link I provided is for the Siedio Innocase 360, and yes it's full device coverage. Like Chuck said your best options are the 360 or the Otterbox.
    05-31-09 01:39 AM
    The 360 is much better than ob.

05-31-09 02:45 AM
    Man I am scared ****less to bring my phone with me on site.
    05-31-09 10:04 AM

Sounds like this is def not the phone for you.

05-31-09 10:15 AM
    haha, that's funny. i walked into the store today because DUST GOT UNDER MY SCREEN. the rep said "wow that's weird, how'd u get dust under the screen". i said, "well, there is dust around the side just from the phone sucking, but now it's underneath the screen". he took his air duster out and asked if i was a carpenter. haha.
    05-31-09 12:58 PM
    i do home improvements and remodeling ... i have the 360, even drywall dust does not get in it when it is in my pocket. just a little info from a storm user in the same profession. im even online during my lunch break.

Just FYI ... the Otterbox is friggin HUGE !!
    05-31-09 01:38 PM
    Thanks everyone for your input. I went to seidio's site and saw the case. Its looks awesome!!! I noticed the buttons and ports on the side were open, is this the right case?

06-01-09 06:46 AM
    I work Const also and started out the first few months with a naked storm, and a really good side pouch I got from Homedepot I think. After a few months I did get some dust but nothing bad. My biggest fear was smashing the thing when I was climbing around like a monkey (carpenter) lol

06-01-09 07:09 AM
    From what I've seen and read, the 360 or the otterbox are probably your best bet. When dust does collect in the opening you could always use that shop vac of yours and vacuum out the dust on occasion too .
    06-01-09 07:10 AM
    I am a mechanic in a shop that does a lot of fabrication on four-wheel drive trucks for salt mines. I fully endorse the otterbox. Its the only way my phone survives in the shop.
    06-01-09 08:37 AM
    i work construction also i use otterbox to protect against drops dust etc...protects phone great jus hard to hit some of the buttons on it
    06-01-09 08:41 AM
    I remember seeing in one thread where this guy cut some very thin foam rubbuer strips. I guess its the kind you would stick in an use for mouldings and put it between the gaps. That link PCKABL gave u may have it in there. Good luck
    06-01-09 08:43 AM
    hi everyone

is the Case-Mate SmartSkin the best skin out there for the storm? i'm looking into picking one up and wanted to get some opinions first, instead of just buying the RIM branded one
    06-01-09 11:00 AM
    DON'T get that one. I am a carpenter too. tried that case, and had plenty of dust BEHIND the screen protector after just one day.

However, I DO simply use the Innocase II with a regular screen skin. It still gets dusty, but it's easier to clean, nothing can get under the screen protector (unlike the 360, where the screen protector is not sealed to the glass). I have not had a problem to date with dust actually getting behind the glass, although I have seen a number of such stories here in these forums.
    Last edited by jhimmel; 06-02-09 at 06:51 PM.
    06-02-09 06:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD