Hey guys, I haven't always been a BlackBerry user. The only BlackBerry I ever owned was an 8703E and I didn't even know about BlackBerry's then, I just thought they looked fancy.

Back to the topic, I remember in 2009 when I heard about the storm, I really wanted to get one but eventually didn't and I have had a range of devices (non BlackBerry) since then until now. I got a Z10 last year for my contract upgrade and I later decided to get a Q10 because I preferred the battery life. I remembered how bad I wanted the storm when it came out so I randomly had a look on ebay to see how much they were going for and I saw one ending soon and made an offer for it. I was sold as spares and repairs, didn't come with a battery and "may have further issues" but I only paid �9 so I thought I might as well try and get it working. I dissembled my Q10 to fix the screen previously, so it is definitely something I can do. Ordered a new battery for �3.50 and I might possibly get a new housing for it which I have currently spotted for �15 but I am really trying to price it down.

I know its really really old technology. Im just doing it for fun and the experience but at the same time I don't want to throw money away, so thats why I have come here. Do you guys think that I am really just wasting my time? What is the most I should spend? or should I just resell the phone?
    04-08-14 10:26 PM
    At this point I don't see a purpose on selling or using the storm 2. Unless you actually enjoy it and make use of it. Keeping it as a collectors item is probably better I would say unless you find someone to pay the price you want. The Z30 to me is the best BB10 device and BlackBerry device period.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Nemzy and mkiiw like this.
    04-08-14 10:30 PM
    Like you said you are doing it for the fun and experience. The monetary value of the end result may be less than the money you invest fixing it but it seems like something you enjoy. So instead of worrying about time wasted just have fun with your project, set a budget and work around it. People invest in their interests. Reconstructing an old phone might not be a mainstream hobby but if you enjoy it you should go for it.

Posted via CB10
    Nemzy and kbz1960 like this.
    04-08-14 10:35 PM
    Like you said you are doing it for the fun and experience. The monetary value of the end result may be less than the money you invest fixing it but it seems like something you enjoy. So instead of worrying about time wasted just have fun with your project, set a budget and work around it. People invest in their interests. Reconstructing an old phone might not be a mainstream hobby but if you enjoy it you should go for it.

Posted via CB10
    Yes I definitely agree and that is just what I will do. I by no means want to make this my daily driver, just interested in what I could have had. The storm series does seem to be one that no one really liked.
    04-08-14 10:39 PM
    At this point I don't see a purpose on selling or using the storm 2. Unless you actually enjoy it and make use of it. Keeping it as a collectors item is probably better I would say unless you find someone to pay the price you want. The Z30 to me is the best BB10 device and BlackBerry device period.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Im not trying to compare this with any BB10 phone or even a BB7 phone. Just a little project.
    04-08-14 10:41 PM
    I understand it's fun to do and it was cheap.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 10:48 PM
    I still have my old Storm 2. I would suggest enjoying repairing it as a hobby, and you'll have fun seeing how it functions, but it is a far cry from your Q10 or my Z30. I sometimes fire it up on my wifi for old time's sake, but it will never be my daily driver. If you have any questions on functions once you've repaired it, just reply here or PM me.
    Nemzy likes this.
    04-08-14 11:02 PM
    I still have my old Storm 2. I would suggest enjoying repairing it as a hobby, and you'll have fun seeing how it functions, but it is a far cry from your Q10 or my Z30. I sometimes fire it up on my wifi for old time's sake, but it will never be my daily driver. If you have any questions on functions once you've repaired it, just reply here or PM me.
    Thanks a lot Gebco. I definitely will
    04-08-14 11:06 PM
    Haha this is a funny story. You have the best qwerty BlackBerry ever and you pick up the Storm?!

I have the Z10 and just got the Z30. The Z30 is such a nice device, but today I put my sim card back into my Q10 because I missed this thing. I just can't stay away from the real keyboard. I'll go back to my Z30 in a couple hours or tomorrow, I'm sure. Sounds like you like to have extra BlackBerrys around too.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 11:12 PM
    Storm 2 is much better than the Storm. Neat little devices to tinker around with. Feel the power!!

Posted via CB10
    Coachbulldog and nick13b like this.
    04-08-14 11:18 PM
    I think it is cool that you want to check out the Storm 2. If it is inexpensive (which it was in your case), there's little financial harm in checking it out.

For whatever it is worth, I've given some thought to buying late model Palm OS, Windows Mobile, and/or Symbian smartphones just to check them out, if I can get them for under say $50 new off of eBay. (I'm not including Blackberry because I already have a Bold 9930.) I've never owned any smartphones with any of those operating systems; my first smartphone was a Motorola Droid 2 I bought in late 2010.
    04-09-14 12:14 AM
    The one line of BlackBerry smartphones I will NEVER touch again lol

Posted via CB10
    web99 likes this.
    04-09-14 12:28 AM
    Lol what was so bad about the Storm series? I know the sure press touch screen wasn't the best idea but what else?
    04-09-14 06:15 AM
    Yes Im just really interested in seeing what the phone and the OS was like. If I can't get parts for a decent enough price, I'll scrap it.
    04-09-14 06:20 AM
    I have my old Storm sitting right next to me on my night stand. Dunno why. I guess I just like looking at it. It's not functional at all because it has no battery and the screen is shattered. Maybe it's the memories? One of my favorite musicians made a call with it when I first met her. Most of my high school years are tied to that phone. Even though it's junk now, it was surprisingly sturdy when I used it and only frustrated me when I had to do a battery pull. I still cringe thinking about the little black clock in the middle of the screen. Typing was painfully slow and to this day I still feel annoyed whenever I have to respond to a text. Still, I loved it for the most part. It was my first Blackberry. It was the reason I decided to give BB10 a try after my brief stint with an iPhone. I'm thinking about getting a Storm 2 just to play with so I can understand your interest in it. It's different. Imagine if Blackberry kept up with the clickable screen? SurePress? I wonder how they would have further developed the technology.

Posted via CB10
    Nemzy likes this.
    04-09-14 06:41 AM
    I actually liked the Storm 2. It was a big improvement over the original and if I could have gotten a 3G version with AT&T I would have kept it. I hated being stuck on Edge with an unlocked Verizon model.
    04-09-14 06:50 AM
    I had a storm 9530 for 2.5 years. The first few months I had it it was almost unusable. It was slow, laggy, and prone to freezing and didn't have much memory. After I discovered crackberry and the wondrous joy of leaked OS's, the phone improved around, oh 1000%!

I became addicted to loading new leaks and tweaking them by removing files and apps that I didn't need or want and that freed up space. I really had almost 2 full years were I enjoyed it alot. What really helped was the absolutely huge following the storm had in the storm forum here on crackberry. It seemed that whenever I had a question or problem I could always find a solution on CrackBerry. It really felt like I belonged to a group of people with a common interest.

It was a lot different than the way the forum is now. There was no name calling and users hating on each other. It felt like everybody was on the same page. It really made this place feel like "crackberry" because you just wanted your "fix" all the time. There were always new leaks, or tweaks, or tricks.

I'm sure I'm romanticizing this a little bit but CrackBerry was Def different then.

So the phone is a very solid piece of hardware and virtually indestructible. If you go have a look at the storm forum, there is a lot you can learn and a lot of hours of reading there.

Good luck and have fun.

Via CBZ10 10.2.1.2947
    Nemzy and nick13b like this.
    04-09-14 06:54 AM
    For all of its faults, I'm pretty certain that the Storm line has still exceeded the sales of the Z line of BlackBerry 10 phones so far.

The Storms were actually profitable for BlackBerry, I remember standing in a long line for the Storm 9530 on its release date. Sadly, that was the last time I ever seen people line up for a BlackBerry device. It was a different time back then though. Verizon didn't have the iPhone and the Motorola Droid hadn't happened yet. So they pushed the first Storm like crazy.

It was a horrible device, but at least the Storms weren't commercial failures. I knew so many people who had Storm 1 and Storm 2. Again, those were different times though.
    04-09-14 06:58 AM
    I had a storm 9530 for 2.5 years. The first few months I had it it was almost unusable. It was slow, laggy, and prone to freezing and didn't have much memory.
    Via CBZ10 10.2.1.2947
    The 9530 made Shrink-an-OS my very best friend.

I remember using that program to remove everything I didn't use in the OS to free up some of that memory because the phone came with a pathetic, 32mb of RAM. Yes, that was with an "M".
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-09-14 07:00 AM
    Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely check it out.
    04-09-14 07:03 AM
    The 9530 made Shrink-an-OS my very best friend.

I remember using that program to remove everything I didn't use in the OS to free up some of that memory because the phone came with a pathetic, 32mb of RAM. Yes, that was with an "M".
    Wow didn't realise it was that bad
    04-09-14 07:10 AM
    Let the torture begin!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 08:00 AM
    Sounds like a fun project, and with what your paying might be worth it for the learning experience. If you get it working you can use it for portable music/ videos/ movies. It can't compare to the Q10, but for the money it would be a nice device to have laying around as a back up.
    04-09-14 08:01 AM
    For all of its faults, I'm pretty certain that the Storm line has still exceeded the sales of the Z line of BlackBerry 10 phones so far.

The Storms were actually profitable for BlackBerry, I remember standing in a long line for the Storm 9530 on its release date. Sadly, that was the last time I ever seen people line up for a BlackBerry device. It was a different time back then though. Verizon didn't have the iPhone and the Motorola Droid hadn't happened yet. So they pushed the first Storm like crazy.

It was a horrible device, but at least the Storms weren't commercial failures. I knew so many people who had Storm 1 and Storm 2. Again, those were different times though.
    I have had both Storms and I agree with you. I also believe that BB made the same mistake with them as they did with the Z's. The Storm 2 should have been released first and then the Storm 1 as a low cost alternative. Same with the Z10 & Z30. The only thing I found unsatisfying about my Z10 was Battery life and the fact that just a few months after I purchased it (First date available, not contract) I could have gotten a much better device for the same amount of money, but now stuck in a contract. They got me twice with that, Storm and Z. It just took a little away from the enjoyment.
    Raddin likes this.
    04-09-14 08:10 AM
    I had a storm 9530 for 2.5 years. The first few months I had it it was almost unusable. It was slow, laggy, and prone to freezing and didn't have much memory. After I discovered crackberry and the wondrous joy of leaked OS's, the phone improved around, oh 1000%!

I became addicted to loading new leaks and tweaking them by removing files and apps that I didn't need or want and that freed up space. I really had almost 2 full years were I enjoyed it alot. What really helped was the absolutely huge following the storm had in the storm forum here on crackberry. It seemed that whenever I had a question or problem I could always find a solution on CrackBerry. It really felt like I belonged to a group of people with a common interest.

It was a lot different than the way the forum is now. There was no name calling and users hating on each other. It felt like everybody was on the same page. It really made this place feel like "crackberry" because you just wanted your "fix" all the time. There were always new leaks, or tweaks, or tricks.

I'm sure I'm romanticizing this a little bit but CrackBerry was Def different then.

So the phone is a very solid piece of hardware and virtually indestructible. If you go have a look at the storm forum, there is a lot you can learn and a lot of hours of reading there.

Good luck and have fun.

Via CBZ10 10.2.1.2947
    Omg you were there for it too!!! I remember the 9530 days!!! They were amazing times with leaks to your hearts desire and every single person wanted a blackberry and would eat a small child just to get one!

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    04-09-14 08:19 AM
38 12