I am planning on getting a replacement for my Storm. I told the OP that my Storm has a crunchy screen and excessive light bleed and that the battery drains quickly. The OP put me on hold then came back and told me to go to the nearest Verizon store and have a technician look at it and then replace it for me. I asked if I could just order it and have it shipped and the OP said "oh that would not be a good idea cause you might get a refurbished one" I called my local Verizon store and they said they did not have any Storm's in stock and that if I do come in I would have to give them my Storm and WAIT till they ship me another one.

What should I do? I need help please. I also paid full price for this phone.
    Last edited by skittlebomb101; 12-26-08 at 11:06 PM.
    12-26-08 11:03 PM
    Don't worry be happy.

If you don't want to wait, call the 800# and have them ship you one.
    12-26-08 11:13 PM
    How can you tell if it's a refurb?
    12-26-08 11:16 PM
    When I went to buy my phone, 'all the stores in Georgia' were out of stock. After 32 calls I found a store that had one that was 63 miles away. Well worth the drive.

Let your phone be your friend.

SidIrish
    12-26-08 11:16 PM
    How long ago did you did you get the phone? If it's within 30 days call them and be nice but tell them that a refurb is not acceptable since you paid full retail. Some say that there is nothing wrong with a refurb but when spending 500 on a phone VZ got their money you want what you paid for. Would you buy a nice new 1500 flat panel tv have something go wrong and let it be replaced with a refurb?
    Ps if they don't budge always play the iphone game, tell them you will leave VZ and go get the iphone I heard this works with them as if you need something done
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by mystics7; 12-26-08 at 11:22 PM.
    12-26-08 11:17 PM
    I Ordered It On December 16, 2008!
    12-26-08 11:22 PM
    i would just keep it but if the battery sucks then i might trade it but i would hate bein without a phone for that long and who knows if you take it to the store you still might get a refurb one
    12-26-08 11:26 PM
    I Ordered It On December 16, 2008!
    If your initial order for the phone was December 16th and your issues with the phone are manufacturer's defect, you are entitled to a new phone, not a refurb.

Might they try and send you a refurb? They might, they sent me one. I called them, explained that is was a replacement of a less than 30 day old phone, that the refurb was not acceptable and sent it back. I got my new in the box replacement today.
    12-26-08 11:28 PM
    That doesn't seem right. At my VZW store anytime I have had to get a replacement they overnight one to me at no cost and then i place the damaged one back in the box and ship it back with the label they give me.
    12-26-08 11:43 PM
    As long as the phone is less than 30 days old, you will get a new phone as a replacement. Not a refurb.

The phones are shipping same day ( I ordered mine today and it has already shipped and will be here monday) but the stores still dont have stock. Let them know you just want them to order you one.
    12-26-08 11:46 PM
    I called VZW today because I was haveing click issues and they first offered to send me a refurb, I said it's only 2 weeks old why should I get a refurb? She then called my local store, who told me earlier today they didn't have any in stock, and told me to go to the local store that they had 30 in stock. Went there and got my replecement. I live in GA too.
    12-27-08 12:33 AM
    I called VZW today because I was haveing click issues and they first offered to send me a refurb, I said it's only 2 weeks old why should I get a refurb? She then called my local store, who told me earlier today they didn't have any in stock, and told me to go to the local store that they had 30 in stock. Went there and got my replecement. I live in GA too.
    Lucky Fed Ex timing?
    12-27-08 12:38 AM
    How can there be refurbish phones and the phone was launch on Nov. 21? If VZ received that many storms back w/in 30days something ain't right.
    12-27-08 12:48 AM
    if you're within our 30 days then fight for your new phone! i got mine launch day and on my 28th day i went to a VZW store and wanted a new one b/c my screen didn't click in all the corners. i did an "exchange" and they handed me a brand new phone on the spot since i wasn't canceling my contract. it can be done. i was lucky though that they had them in stock last friday.

unfortunately the one i got doesn't click well in the middle bottom of the screen (right on the spacebar in suretype portrait... argh!). i tried the screw trick this time around, but it doesn't fix it entirely. i'm going to fight for a new, non-refurb phone in the morning w/ tech support. when i called earlier this evening i inquired about the refurb situation and the lady told me they were not sending out many refurbs as the phone is very new.
    12-27-08 02:10 AM
    according to VZW, ther are no refurbs available yet. As of yesterday, RIM has not shipped any to them. Any replacement, regardless of the box used to ship (brown or original OEM), is new. VZW has boxed so many new ones specifically for replacements, that they will be shipping new ones as replacements for some time.
    12-27-08 05:47 AM
    You realize OP means "original poster", right?
    12-27-08 06:34 AM
    I am planning on getting a replacement for my Storm. I told the OP that my Storm has a crunchy screen and excessive light bleed and that the battery drains quickly. The OP put me on hold then came back and told me to go to the nearest Verizon store and have a technician look at it and then replace it for me. I asked if I could just order it and have it shipped and the OP said "oh that would not be a good idea cause you might get a refurbished one" I called my local Verizon store and they said they did not have any Storm's in stock and that if I do come in I would have to give them my Storm and WAIT till they ship me another one.

I don't know who you spoke with at the Verizon store, but if I were you, I would go to to your nearest VZW and show them the problems you are currently having with your 11 day old phone and request a brand new storm. The store will order you a new phone and more than likely the new phone will be shipped directly to the VZW store and you will be able to keep your current phone. When the new Storm arrives at the store, they will give you a call to come and pick up your new Storm.
    12-27-08 07:43 AM
    I called yesterday about a defect screen and they shipped it yesterday will be here Tuesday.
    12-27-08 08:12 AM

whoever you talked to was misinformed or lazy. here's what you do:

1) Call Verizon and use the menus to go directly to Technical Support - regular Customer Support is useless.
    2) Tell the Tech rep you're having hardware issues (no need to go through a laundry list - a simple "my screen isn't responsive" is fine) and you'd like a NEW replacement sent to you - you're entitled to a new phone since you bought it less than 30 days ago.
    3) Ask the Tech to send the replacement to you via FedEx Priority Overnight. This will get the phone to you in 1 business day.
    12-27-08 08:20 AM
    according to VZW, ther are no refurbs available yet. As of yesterday, RIM has not shipped any to them. Any replacement, regardless of the box used to ship (brown or original OEM), is new. VZW has boxed so many new ones specifically for replacements, that they will be shipping new ones as replacements for some time.
    no refurbs available yet? What do you think about this: I got a replacement for my Storm which had a broken, non-clicking screen. It has specks under the screen and lint in the camera lens. Why would that be if it was brand spankin' new?

Also-- was able to keep mine till the replacement came in. it's unreasonable for them to ask you to do without your phone.
    12-27-08 08:47 AM
    What if your replacement phone has the same issues, and now there telling me their policy is to only give out one NEW replacement phone per customer. They say they will only replace my screen defect phone with a refurbished one.

I'm on the phone with them right now on hold fighting this.
    12-27-08 04:31 PM
    What if your replacement phone has the same issues, and now there telling me their policy is to only give out one NEW replacement phone per customer. They say they will only replace my screen defect phone with a refurbished one.

I'm on the phone with them right now on hold fighting this.
    i would keep fighting. its no different then if the phone you just received was the one you originally purchased. it still doesn't work.
    12-27-08 04:54 PM
    I mean "OP" as Operator
    12-29-08 12:49 AM
    I was told to do the same thing. I think what the rep wants you to do is have a technician look at it and verify that the hardware is acting as you have described it. If it is, they will then note the account with the details of the problem and when you call CS back again they will be able to send you a new one.

Basically the problem with a CS rep ordering you a new one for a problem such as you are describing is that if you were to just send it back after you got your replacement, they would have no way of knowing that there actually was a problem with the phone, rather they would just be taking your word for it. Taking it to a Verizon store and having a tech look at it is their way of verifying that there actually is a problem.

At least that's how it went with me and that's what the situation is looking like for you.

Just pray you don't get a "Certified like new replacement" like I did. And if you do, call up CS and tell them you're sending it back and want a brand new one, not a certified replacement.

I was also told by one CS rep that there are no refurbished phones yet, which made no sense to me considering they sent me a phone with "Certified Like New Replacement" stamped all over the effin thing.
    12-29-08 02:32 AM
    I went to the Verizon store on teh 18th (three days before my 30 days were up). Explained my reboot issue and they shipped me a new phone. They also offered to extend my 30 day worry free guarantee until 12/31. New phone arrived and it was the dimmer/yellower screen so I called and had them ship me a new one. I did get a refurb so don't be fooled -- the Item # is FRUbb9530 and it did not arrive in the new packaging. The 800# claims the extension on my worry free did not occur and they are unable to enter an order in for a new phone - physically restricted in their computer system from being able to do it. I am headed into the Verizon store today to complain and have them ship me a new phone.
    12-29-08 07:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD