05-15-09 03:27 PM
26 12
tools
    I just got my fourth replacement Storm three days ago, and this one randomly reboots, AND I have an intermittently flickering screen. I called VZW and they finally said enough is enough...I should take the phone into a VZW retail store and they will confirm my problem (although I don't know how they'll confirm random reboots) and then they'll let me exchange for the new device of my choice. I'm thinking I should just a Curve and be done with it. I know the Curve works. Anybody have any thoughts?
    05-15-09 07:25 AM
    I just got my fourth replacement Storm three days ago, and this one randomly reboots, AND I have an intermittently flickering screen. I called VZW and they finally said enough is enough...I should take the phone into a VZW retail store and they will confirm my problem (although I don't know how they'll confirm random reboots) and then they'll let me exchange for the new device of my choice. I'm thinking I should just a Curve and be done with it. I know the Curve works. Anybody have any thoughts?
    what was wrong with the other 3??man i have had my since day one with no problem
    05-15-09 07:50 AM
    Me two had my storm since nov. Have u tinkered with the OS? If so go back to .75 try that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 08:20 AM
    Storm #1) Arrived from VWZ.com in an unsealed box missing protective film and battery had been installed. Huge scratch across screen. Was told it had been opened and turned on for "testing." BS....it was probably a return.

Storm #2) Got this one two days after my first. After a full charge, the battery drained when on one phone call for 40 minutes, and the the phone got VERY VERY hot. Obviously had some kind of short. VZW replaced with a brand new one in a store the next day.

Storm #3) This one worked OK for a while...about 5 months, but then started having tons of trouble with a sticking screen and random reboots. Kept it for a while being told that the impending software update would fix the random reboots. Guess what...there's no software update. There probably won't be one any time soon. The rep sent me another one and this one has been having probs from the start.

Storm #4) This is my current and last one. The rep I talked to last night was very apologetic, saying that more than 50% of his calls these days are from unhappy storm owners, and he is pretty sure a software update will fix all this. I can't wait anymore. When I take my phone out of my pocket I expect it to work. I cannot deal with picking up my phone and seeing a black screen with a spinning clock and waiting 5 - 10 minutes before I can make a phone call.

I really wanted to like this phone, and I think it can be a great device, but the problems I've had have definitely outweighed the benefits. I'm not angry about spending the money on it..only cost me $100 with my NE2. My problem is that I don't want to have to spend $500 on a Curve because the Storm wasn't ready for prime time.
    05-15-09 08:36 AM
    Stick to a curve. You might like it more then the Storm.
    05-15-09 08:40 AM
    Strange. I don't know. I guess just get the curve and be done with it.

05-15-09 08:40 AM
    I'm sure I'll like the Curve. I had an 8830 for two years and it was a great phone. I just hope when I go into the VZW store tonight the rep doesn't give me a hard time about not being able to confirm random reboots.
    05-15-09 08:46 AM
    Get ready for a battle when you go to the store. Unless you can show them how it reboots they will fight you to the death to give you another phone. Regardless of what they tell you on the phone, the stores are not obligated to honor an agreement you make with customer service or data support. If they do cooperate however, I would stick with the storm. Ask to look at a few devices to make sure you feel comfortable with the screen click.
    05-15-09 08:46 AM
    Man that sucks...

Good luck with your quest... My original storm has been running like a champ.
    05-15-09 08:50 AM
    They have to switch your phone if you like. After 3 within a 3 month period they are required to change your device if you wish at no charge. Happend to me when i had the Moto krazr. i had 3 within 2 months and they switch me to a phone of equal or lesser value. VZW policy
    05-15-09 08:53 AM
    I am on my first sotrm with no issues at all on .132 OS
    05-15-09 08:55 AM
    I'm on my 10th storm.

I'm waiting for the 9630 tour to come out in a few months and I'm done with the storm
    05-15-09 09:02 AM
    They have to switch your phone if you like. After 3 within a 3 month period they are required to change your device if you wish at no charge. Happend to me when i had the Moto krazr. i had 3 within 2 months and they switch me to a phone of equal or lesser value. VZW policy
    They dont have to do anything. If the tech guy at the store looks at the device and decides there is nothing wrong with it, they will do nothing but ask you to leave. What most likely will happen if this occurs is the OP will call up tech support and they will mail him a new phone, but the store can do whatever it wants.

Just to be clear, I am not disputing thier policy. But the stores, IMO, have a insentive not to give out new phones. And when a phone is troubleshot over the phone with technical support instead of in person, the stores always will be suspicous since you can say anything over the phone and not have to prove it.
    Last edited by garment69; 05-15-09 at 09:17 AM.
    05-15-09 09:08 AM
    I'm on my 10th storm.

I'm waiting for the 9630 tour to come out in a few months and I'm done with the storm
    Liar!
    05-15-09 09:13 AM
    sounds like verizon is just taking other people's returns and shipping them right back out to other customers.

I had a storm that got some dust under the screen, so i exchanged it while still in the 30-day period, telus store gave me a brand new one out of the box no questions asked. Guess VZW quality control doesn't really exist much anymore?
    05-15-09 09:19 AM
    I did call tech support, and the agent did tell me that the VZW policy is that if you have 3 phones in a 3 month period, the MUST give you the option of changing to the new device of your choice. The only catch is that I have to do that in a VZW retail store and the tech has to verify the problem. Again, I don't know how they will verify random reboots, but I hope they can. The support agent I talked to noted all of this on my account, so hopefully it will be painless.
    05-15-09 09:22 AM
    sounds like verizon is just taking other people's returns and shipping them right back out to other customers.

I had a storm that got some dust under the screen, so i exchanged it while still in the 30-day period, telus store gave me a brand new one out of the box no questions asked. Guess VZW quality control doesn't really exist much anymore?
    No, verizon will give you a brand new phone if its within 30 days also.
    05-15-09 09:22 AM
    I'm on my 10th storm.

dude after 3 i say i believe you but 10.after the 3th one theres your sign!
    05-15-09 09:57 AM
    Hmmm I had my first storm since I got it,no major problems I upgraded the OS and did the torx screw fix and now it works great. It sucks to have to go through 4 storms and to have all of them not work.

05-15-09 10:20 AM
    I'm on my 10th storm.

Amen bruddah! The storm is a compost heap of electronic ingenuity.

05-15-09 11:09 AM
    I have been through 3 storms (currently on my 3rd) and am fairly convinced that it is the software. I wanted to wait it out for vzw to finally push a new update out but after the issues I had and doing some research I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to .132 and haven't had much of an issue with it. At least anywhere near what I was having with .75. Just my .02

05-15-09 11:22 AM
    I am on my first sotrm with no issues at all on .132 OS
    Ditto this. I'm also on my first Storm and running .132 with very, very few issues. I haven't had but only a small fraction of the issues people have reported here - even when I was running .75. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I can definitely understand the frustration, however, have you invested the short amount of time it takes to try one of the leaked O/S's? You mght find where it makes all the difference in the way your phone is performing.
    05-15-09 11:46 AM
    I did call tech support, and the agent did tell me that the VZW policy is that if you have 3 phones in a 3 month period, the MUST give you the option of changing to the new device of your choice. The only catch is that I have to do that in a VZW retail store and the tech has to verify the problem. Again, I don't know how they will verify random reboots, but I hope they can. The support agent I talked to noted all of this on my account, so hopefully it will be painless.
    It would be ridiculous to think VZW doesn't have a knowledge base and a problem management tracking utility capturing all of the issue they receive calls for. They may not be able to reproduce the issue on the spot but it shouldn't take them anything more than a few moments to pull this information up within their database. Further, unless VZW the rep/tech support are new and/or completely walking around in a stupor, this shouldn't be the first time they've been exposed to the issue - they should already be well aware and have plenty of experience with consumers complaining of random reboot issues.

If this isn't the case I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel in them assisting me in the first place.
    05-15-09 12:06 PM
    I'm on number 5. Technically I didn't even touch the fourth one...was a certified like new and it didn't click! Sent it right back and got the 5th one. This one is a little stiff on the click but is a regular Fru and is running ok, not a CLNR.

Storm 1) *New at store*The screen went to static with every click and when I went to the store to replace it, the associate had to try it 4 times before the transfer would work because it kept shutting off on her. She almost threw it after mumbling some choice words.

Storm 2) *New at store 30 day exchange*totally had a bug on it somewhere and never downloaded anything to the phone but my music and videos, no apps, no themes, just media. It crashed after three weeks.

Storm 3) *Normal FRU*Best I had yet... was wonderful...Bright screen! Didn't reboot for over a month! Then..... massive amounts of dust under the screen...Browser ups and quits over the weekend last weekend. Portrait and Landscape screen overlays that would bring up the clock for a few minutes then reboot the entire system....this began to happen daily... It was sad putting that in the return
    box this morning.....

Storm 4) *CLNR*I refused to activate it after I noticed the screen DID NOT Click! wtf?? Call Customer service and got another sent out.

Storm 5) *Normal FRU*So far so good....only been one day lol....Screen a tad stiff, but it clicks. Good brightness on screen and I'm sure this one won't get dust under it Only media and Blackberry App World apps on this one.

For those of you who haven't had any issues what so ever with your phone... that is awesome, great, fantastic, you are amongst a small number though. I love this phone when it's working properly, but there are many devices of this model type that have had a fair share of bad issues with them. Please try to understand that not every device works perfect across the board. I'm grateful to be a part of crackberry and learn and know about these devices and looking on here to see what's going on and next for all of the phones is wonderful. A good reason for me sticking with this device is the support from the members and moderators on this site.
    Last edited by jnixbb09; 05-15-09 at 12:10 PM.
    05-15-09 12:07 PM
    Shocker
    05-15-09 02:09 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD