I've done a ton of research on JL Cmdr and fully wiping the phone. I am comfortable with the process and understand what it does. I have a couple of questions that I have been unable to find an answer for via searching any help would be appreciated.

I have done two upgrages so far without wiping and have had minimal to no issues. I've gone from .75 to .99 to .103.
    Should I be wiping the phone between upgrades? Is their a benefit to doing so? After doing multiple upgrades, do you feel it is necessary to wipe the phone clean? Does residual data that needs to be deleted accumulate throughout the upgrade process?

When running the JL cmdr, I realized that the device will be wiped completely clean of the current OS and all data. I have no problems re-installing 3rd party software (I know a tutorial exists to back these up and I dont have too many apps so no big deal), so what I'm asking is a simple backup through DM all I need to do in order to re-load my contacts onto the phone. I'm not sure what file(s) I should be uploading to the phone after doing a wipe and OS install.

Sorry for the newb questions. I tried my best to search for answers. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dan
    02-12-09 12:03 PM
    According to others with a great deal more experience than myself (ie. Crucial Xtreme).....it is not necessary to wipe between each OS upgrade, the upgrade of the OS should overwrite the existing OS during the process....it was recommended that a wipe may be beneficial every 3-4 upgrades.

Yes, perform a fresh backup and once the new OS is loaded, restore that backup to the device. This will bring back ur contacts and device data but not ur 3rd party apps. That is a separate process and there r How-To's available.

Hope that answered ur questions.
    02-12-09 01:46 PM
    Go here
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/
    and follow the links at the bottom of the first post. Read the posts and a couple of the other links, once you understand and see the process it is pretty easy.

I did my first wipe yesterday, I just figured it was time after a couple of OS updates.

Basically you do this.
    Back up
    Back up 3rd party
    wipe
    install os
    restore everything

Mine went pretty easy, I made a couple of mistakes along the way (forgot to bring is certain apps) but overall everything went smooth. The phone seems to be working great so far!
    02-13-09 02:41 PM
    When you say restore everything, do you mean the .ipd file that is created after i complete an upgrade? Thanks.
    02-13-09 02:54 PM
    If you go to advanced under restore you can open your ipd file in the lefthand pane. Then you can selectively restore just your contacts or whatever. I'm going from memory so my steps may not be exactly right.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 04:49 PM
    First of all do not wait for the time you intend to install a new OS to do backups/ You should do these on some kind of routine basis. Maybe every week, two weeks or at a minimum each month.

I suggest trying to install the new OS without a wipe initially. If you are having difficulty, then do a wipe and reinstall.

I did wipes for all OS's up through the 80's, but not for .9, .99 and Hybred. All three of these have worked almost flawlessly for me.

I also suggest installing through AppLoader, as it brings back all of your data and apps, at least it has for me and seems to be easier than using DM, and I have used both.

After installing the new OS on your computer go to: Program Files/Common Files/Research in Motion/AppLoader. Be sure to delete or move the Vendor file and double click on Loader.exe and off you go.
    02-13-09 05:01 PM
    According to others with a great deal more experience than myself (ie. Crucial Xtreme).....it is not necessary to wipe between each OS upgrade, the upgrade of the OS should overwrite the existing OS during the process....it was recommended that a wipe may be beneficial every 3-4 upgrades.

Yes, perform a fresh backup and once the new OS is loaded, restore that backup to the device. This will bring back ur contacts and device data but not ur 3rd party apps. That is a separate process and there r How-To's available.

Hope that answered ur questions.
    AGREED! CX, Pete6, Don, Reed all commented that a wipe with JL Cmdr is not necessary when upgrading, they actually comment that doing so may actually cause problems. I have installed all upgrades (leaks and official, except for Siths hybrid) without incident and without wiping
    02-14-09 03:49 PM
    AGREED! CX, Pete6, Don, Reed all commented that a wipe with JL Cmdr is not necessary when upgrading, they actually comment that doing so may actually cause problems. I have installed all upgrades (leaks and official, except for Siths hybrid) without incident and without wiping
    I too have upgraded through all the OS's, and have done so over previous as well I have used JLcmdr to wipe going back from 103 to the Hybrid. I did not notice any difference in either process. It is what you feel comfortable with.
    02-14-09 04:13 PM
    I too have upgraded through all the OS's, and have done so over previous as well I have used JLcmdr to wipe going back from 103 to the Hybrid. I did not notice any difference in either process. It is what you feel comfortable with.

AGREED, I was just reiterating a forum I had read about 2 weeks ago on this issue.
    02-14-09 04:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD