I have a few questions to ask about the Jawbone Icon bluetooth headset. I would greatly appreciate any help as I am planning to purchase this product. Please try to answer as many of the following:

1) How is the call quality/sound on the unit?
    2) Will having the phone in my front pocket cause disturbance and static? (The phone is in a official blackberry leather holster)
    3) Can you stream music to the Jawbone? If so can it be done using the native media player?
    4) Is this the best bluetooth headset available? I can spend around 200 bucks.

I have a Storm2 9550 so this thread is relevant.
    Thx
    04-26-10 09:35 AM
    I have jawbone its sweet talk time isn't the greatest though. Do a lot of research first they are a lot of money

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-10 09:44 AM
    1. quality sound is great... most of my friends think I'm using a landline fone. But depending on their device for example one of my friends uses a Pearl---via Sprint. She has a hard time hearing (that's her device and service) not mine.

2. YES--- at times I have disturbance and static when I place the fone in my pocket depending on my location. I find using a holster I don't have any distortion in sound. Weird, huh?

3. No, you can't stream music using the Jawbone which is a big disappointment. I use Jabra for streaing music.

4. Personally, the Jawbone is good. Great in airports and using while driving--- I'm always on the go so it's the best for as noise reduction (friends can't hear anything in my background), but keeping it in my ear without the hook can be annoying if you don't place it just right with little movement to your head.
    Last edited by shopgurl; 04-26-10 at 09:48 AM.
    04-26-10 09:45 AM
    Although I own the Jawbone Prime, my buddy has the Icon and the experience is pretty much the same for both (though, I like the fit of the Icon, better).

1. Call quality/sound is find with the Storm 2 and Jawbone...no issues at all, with one, VERY important issue that cropped up with the release of .607. Volume is horribly low (this isn't a Jawbone issue though, people using all brands of BT devices complained). Hopefully, RIM will get this fixed SOON.

2. I have no problems with the phone in a holster (on my side clipped to my belt) nor in my pocket. The only time I've seen an issue at all is when the phone is on the opposite side of my body than the earpiece. Front pocket/same side is not an issue. I did notice that when using Voice Dial, with my phone in the leather holster, there were serious delays while waiting for the various prompts. .607 seemed to resolve that, though the trade off of horrible volume isn't worth it.

3. I am not aware of streaming music, though to be honest, I've never tried (music in one ear? I don't think so .

4. Best? It's all relative and you'll find as many votes for and against this as there are people who read the thread. Forget your question, you can't determine that by what you hear in the forums as they're too biased and dependent on who happens to see the thread. That being said, Jawbone consistantly gets great reviews, but you'll always, ALWAYS find people who simply "hate it." Go figure. The Planatronics Voyager series also gets rave reviews, though I'm an ear loop kinda guy (for the extra security), using the combination of the loop with the new buds that can be used without the loop (those are a heck of a lot more comfortable than the other kind...you get the loop and both style earbuds in the package, so you can use what feels best for you) so anything that does not offer a loop is not my cup of tea. I've read some reviews that indicate it does have the absolute best voice quality (by a slim margin) but not quite as good with noise cancelling. Some people will rave about Motorolas, again, whatever floats your boat.

$200 for an ear piece? I hope that's not what you're paying for the Icon!

One more thing...battery life on my Prime isn't exactly stellar. I think they advertise about 8 hours of talk time, though I've never been on my phone that long to find out. I have made it a habit to charge it every night.

I have a few questions to ask about the Jawbone Icon bluetooth headset. I would greatly appreciate any help as I am planning to purchase this product. Please try to answer as many of the following:

1) How is the call quality/sound on the unit?
    2) Will having the phone in my front pocket cause disturbance and static? (The phone is in a official blackberry leather holster)
    3) Can you stream music to the Jawbone? If so can it be done using the native media player?
    4) Is this the best bluetooth headset available? I can spend around 200 bucks.

I have a Storm2 9550 so this thread is relevant.
    Thx
    04-26-10 09:51 AM
    very interesting perspectives indeed. Yea i usually keep my phone in my right pocket in a leather pouch and i planned on putting the bluetooth headset on my left ear. idk if this will cause problems or not. Music in one ear is just what im looking for actually, cuz when i have it in both ears well....lets say i cant hear anything and almost got ran over by a car LOL! Now somebody said they use jabra, what is meant by that? Plus i wanted something small i can put away in my pocket.

So would you suggest this jabra over the jawbone if i wanted music + bluetoth talking? OR would you suggest getting both? How is the quality on that jabra? OR would you suggest getting a jawbone and buying maybe a stero bluetooth headset (2 ears). I checked out the jabra HALO and motorola s9hd headsets. Lemme kno any thoughts on these. sorry for so many questions.
    04-26-10 10:03 PM
    No, well my budget is around 200 bucks. The ICON was priced at around 89 or 99 bucks? so i wanted to see different options within these fields. That sucks Jawbone doesn't stream music cuz its one of the coolest headsets i've seen. Not a fan of the paltronics, as im also needing the hook fit.

I heard that if you download mobilia xplayer or something for blackberry that you could actually stream the music to your jawbone or something. But i heard it lags, static like crazy, and UI isn't that great. But again idk haha
    04-26-10 10:07 PM
    I think you can play music from your stored content, but it's loud as HE||! And you can't turn the volume down.

But as for the quality of the headset, it's spectacular, like said above. I'm about to go get another one just to have it. The only thing I miss is the little pod the old Jawbone headsets came with. That would have been a nice thing to have to store the device.

My Plantronics Discovery headset came with a leather case, which was nice, but this one didn't come with anything.
    04-26-10 11:18 PM
    You can't listen to music on a jawbone doesn't matter the style they are for talking only

I have the jawbone icon and it is GREAT I can keep my BB in my handbag and it understands me when voice dialing. Call quality is super. I like it a lot
    and it is under 200 bucks way under
    04-26-10 11:43 PM
    I have the Prime call quality is great. Using Nobex I can stream to the Prime but can't use the media player to stream. I also have a pair of Motorola S9.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-10 12:00 AM
    Trojan: I suggest you hop over to Product reviews and prices, software downloads, and tech news - CNET and do a search on bluetooth earpieces. They have fairly decent reviews (in my opinion, but not everyone thinks so...you'll at least get a good written/audio/video review) and they also have user reviews. Finally, they have videos of most of the current devices and you can see how they fit in the ear, how they look and get a report on quality. Jabra is yet another brand...there are many: Jawbone, Jabra, Motorola, Planetronics...the list goes on.
    04-27-10 02:28 AM
    And you can't turn the volume down.

I can turn mine down
    04-27-10 07:28 AM
    I can turn mine down
    Not when you're listening to music.
    04-27-10 08:08 PM
    I have the prime and i can listen to slacker with it. granted its only one ear but u can stream music with it.
    04-27-10 10:58 PM
    I have the prime and i can listen to slacker with it. granted its only one ear but u can stream music with it.
    Exactly...
    04-28-10 11:22 PM
    The call quality is excellent. You can stream music to the headset. You have to goto the jawbone website and download the new update. It enables the icon to stream music/podcasts/turn by turn nav, all from the native media players. I love this headset and it has not failed me yet.
    05-06-10 01:59 PM
    Yep, I was thinking about this thread this afternoon. I just received an email from Jawbone, announcing a new software update for the Icon (Icon only) that allows you to listen to music, listen to turn-by-turn directions and some other updates.

The call quality is excellent. You can stream music to the headset. You have to goto the jawbone website and download the new update. It enables the icon to stream music/podcasts/turn by turn nav, all from the native media players. I love this headset and it has not failed me yet.
    05-06-10 06:01 PM
    are you serious???? I'm going to check that out, I hadn't rec'd my notification.
    05-06-10 08:02 PM
    ok I just update my icon... can barely hear my music, but maybe due to os 607
    05-06-10 08:43 PM
    LOL!! F R U S T R A T I N G!!!! I hadn't even thought about that angle...I know my BT is worthless in the car thanks to .607, but guess it's no surprise that it applies to everything BT. How long will VZW make us wait?

ok I just update my icon... can barely hear my music, but maybe due to os 607
    05-06-10 11:18 PM
    I think you have to register with them online. I get periodic emails with the subject "Friend's of Jawbone" or something like that.

are you serious???? I'm going to check that out, I hadn't rec'd my notification.
    05-06-10 11:23 PM
    I am loving listening music via my icon ... awesome on the Storm!!! Thanks for the 411 now I don't have to go back and forth between my jabra.

PS---> I downgraded my OS to 517 and I couldn't have made a better choice of .607
    05-06-10 11:24 PM
    One thing - you may want to buy locally rather than online. Most stores (Verizon, Best Buy, etc.) have a thirty day return policy. You can try them out, and if they don't work return them. Some online places allow this also, but you may have to pay the postage - check the fine print.

And check out the return policy no matter where you go, some will charge a restocking fee - ouch!!
    Last edited by ST1100A; 05-07-10 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Can't spell
    05-07-10 12:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD