This may or my not have been covered, but the threads i looked through didn't really give me a definitive answer. I purchased my storm on launch day, so obviously we are well past the 30 day normal return policy. However, i have read that the Storm's return policy was extended to this friday, the 15th. I stopped by my local Verizon store and asked if i could still return the phone, and they said that since it has been longer than 30 days, I cannot return the phone and would have to pay the ETF to cancel the line. Just looking for some insight or tips on what the deal is, as I wanted to love this phone, but it's just not for me. thank you for your help!
    01-13-09 03:38 PM
    Have you tried calling Verizon? Sometimes people at the store(s) don't know all that much.
    01-13-09 03:40 PM
    oh yeah, i forgot to mention i called customer service and was told that i was past the 30 day return policy. i really don't want to have to pay the ETF as i trust my fellow crackberries more than the verizon employees...
    01-13-09 03:41 PM
    people seem to be having better luck calling verizon directly than going into the stores
    01-13-09 03:42 PM
    I purchased mine on opening day Nov 21st. I exchanged it for a new one on Dec 26th because of a screen click issue. The Rep told me I was beyond my 30 days. I told her the receipt specifically states you have until Jan. 15th. She then said "oh yes. That's right" and exchanged my phone for a brand new phone. I would ask to speak with a manager.
    01-13-09 03:44 PM
    Whip out your receipt if you bought it from a store. I know my Best Buy receipt says the 15th. Proof is always the best thing.
    01-13-09 03:55 PM
    i just took my storm back to verizon today for the debris under the screen problem and they gave me a brand new one. i purchased mine on decemer 4th, so it's def been over 30 days...i heard them whispering something about the "holiday return period" which is until jan. 15th i'm assuming...i guess it all depends on where you go and how much the idiots in the store want to f*&% you over...
    01-13-09 04:05 PM
    This date was extended due to the high return volume, They wanted to give people who have been having problems a fighting chance to learn to love the phone without getting stuck with it. (I think, VZ rep explained that to me)

This date is legit and set by Verizon, anyone that tells you different doesn't know any better. A receipt and a manager should be you full proof ticket, either way the date is a sure thing, regardless of when you bought the Storm

Just curious but what phone are you thinking of getting? staying with the BB family?
    01-13-09 04:06 PM
    Actually the date was extended for the holidays. The 15th has been well advetised so if they try to tell you anything different tell then you know your facts. VZW tend not to give you this info if you dont know it.\\I've gotten two new replacements well after my 30 limit.

Dont take no for an answer is what I say. try again
    01-13-09 04:18 PM
    just got off the phone with verizon.

Told him I had the phone since the launch date and asked if I had to return the phone to the store where I bought it.

His answer was "yes, take it back to the store where you purchased the phone. But, it looks like you are past the 30 day return window." I then reminded him about the 15th and he says "oh yes, thats correct, you have until the 15th."

So even some people at verizon need to be reminded about this.
    Last edited by 3B3XA; 01-13-09 at 04:32 PM.
    01-13-09 04:29 PM
    thanks all for the replies! i will be taking my storm back tomorrow. i am indeed staying in the blackberry family and going back to my curve. it will be tough re-adjusting to the low res screen but i guess it's for the best. i knew i could count on everyone here far more than verizon employees.
    01-13-09 05:09 PM
    Holiday Returns: All purchases made between November 16 and December 15, 2008 may be returned or exchanged through January 15, 2009. All other provisions of Verizon Wireless' Return and Exchange policy, and Verizon Wireless' Test Drive program, still apply.
    01-13-09 05:12 PM
    Does the 30 days start when you purchase the phone or when you activate the phone?
    01-13-09 05:14 PM
    it starts when you purchase the phone
    01-13-09 05:19 PM
    If you plan on getting rid of the storm why wait till the last minute anyways.
    01-13-09 05:22 PM
    i was waiting as long as possible to see if the software updates would help the phone out enough. while they have made HUGE improvements, this phone just isn't for me. i understand that i can return the phone until january 15th, but i am wanting to cancel that line as well. will i be able to do so without incurring the ETF? that quote from the receipt was helpful but i'm still unsure about the line cancellation.
    01-13-09 06:00 PM
    yeah this is untrue , right at the bottom of the receipt it says you have until the 15th show them it. simples as that.
    01-13-09 06:58 PM
    i was waiting as long as possible to see if the software updates would help the phone out enough. while they have made HUGE improvements, this phone just isn't for me. i understand that i can return the phone until january 15th, but i am wanting to cancel that line as well. will i be able to do so without incurring the ETF? that quote from the receipt was helpful but i'm still unsure about the line cancellation.
    You just need to call CS and tell them you would like to return your phone and cancel your line. Answer their questions about your account and be nice. Sooner or later I imagine they'll say you're past your 30 days. Don't ask them any questions. Just tell them "Yes I realize it's been longer than 30 days but according to the receipt I'm holding in my hand it says phones purchased between 11/16 and 12/15 can be returned/exchanged until 1/15." You just have to be nice but FIRM. They'll do it. You're not asking for anything you don't deserve.

And the "return" part refers to canceling your line. Obviously if you were going to return your phone without getting a new one (or "exchange" it) you would not want to keep the line active.
    01-13-09 07:08 PM
    Will see if this is as much of a hassle as getting the phone credit for a returned defective phone is
    01-13-09 07:14 PM
    Yeah I went into the store today the 13th, after receiving my replacement storm today and was unable to get the SD card to register on the computer to sync my contacts. They told me it was past the 30 days since I bought it on launch day. But now I'm on the phone with the lady and she has to approve this with her Supervisor, I feel bad about taking it back, but it's just not working for me. So I have to downgrade to the Curve (I wish they had the bold) but I will be picking up the Niagara or whatever it will be called when that comes out.
    01-13-09 11:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD