I still love the phone and it's concept. It's a BlackBerry at it's core so I love its email handling. It has fun qualities to it.

But, even after the official OS update, I have never had a phone so quirky. Yesterday I had to battery pull twice due to laginess. I still get an occassional random reboot. The accelerometer is still slow (I find myself shaking it to change orientation at times).

I realize in comparison to some of my older phones (bag phone was my first WAY back in the day), the technology is leaps and bounds (and/or lightyears) ahead of original phones - they are complex devices. I still spend my hard earned cash and would like something closer to relaible than the Storm is. I'll keep it and complain, buty it still is quite buggy.
    06-23-09 04:40 AM
    well..maybe you have alot of apps running at the same time......i myself have about 8 apps running and even then my device does not lagg it..maybe you need to do a complete wipedown and re-install the os...see how that works out
    06-23-09 05:17 AM
    well..maybe you have alot of apps running at the same time......i myself have about 8 apps running and even then my device does not lagg it..maybe you need to do a complete wipedown and re-install the os...see how that works out
    +1 not really any lag here, havent had a random reboot since like .109

with OOAK .151 v8, im really enjoying this phone. The transitions are decent and the media bug was fixed... bit by bit, it's getting pretty dang good

I do hear a lot of people with problems, and I wouldn't recommend anyone keep a phone that is giving them grief. Important thing is not what device you have, but to be happy with whatever device works for you
    06-23-09 09:42 AM
    ok, yea some themes are still messing up. Switched to a theme, got the APPERROR message, restarted handheld, them came up ok, but some of the functionality was hindered..some stuff not working the way it should. There are probably some posts in the OOAK findings thread about what themes work ok... but if you rely on themes, you might want to wait for a fix
    06-23-09 10:56 AM
    If your waiting around for RIM to fix it anytime soon good luck. It would be wise to ditch it asap. Sell it on ebay and get something better like an iphone or 8900. I wouldn't recommend the bold because it has a pathetic 128mb or memory like the storm which is a big problem when the phone runs out of memory.
    06-23-09 10:59 AM
    ++1.

Even more so, some apps may not play nice with .148, so I suggest, if you haven't done so already, install apps one at a time and note any suspicious behavior (like memory leaks). Think of this as a scientific experiment, where you test and observe a single variable at a time.

Also as kinggeoff stated, be wary of themes installed. Some of theme are not well complied and may cause problems.
    06-23-09 11:40 AM
    Most likely verizon csr will have him wipe the device. if it still acts up they will replace it then rinse and repeat with the next storm.
    06-23-09 11:43 AM
    If your waiting around for RIM to fix it anytime soon good luck. It would be wise to ditch it asap. Sell it on ebay and get something better like an iphone or 8900. I wouldn't recommend the bold because it has a pathetic 128mb or memory like the storm which is a big problem when the phone runs out of memory.
    I don't think the OP was actually looking for a recommendation. And, frankly, you're not even in the ball park in terms of memory on the Storm. Personally, if I were you, I'd stick to something I knew.
    06-23-09 03:46 PM
    I was in the same boat as you. But after going to a hybrid, deleting everything I didn't need, and customizing everything with the scheduled battery pull once a day everything has worked well. I just have to remember to close out every app after I am done. Now my only complaint is that the battery does not get me through the day without a charge.
    06-23-09 04:17 PM
    The Storm is probably one of the buggiest phones I owned, but that was the .75 era. Much improvement has been made, but it's still a little laggy, especially if i'm running more than 4 apps or Running BlackBerry App World. Yes, I've done the device wipe and this is my third storm. I love the concept of the BlackBerry Storm, and I love the device, but I think RIM should of stuck with what they know instead of Hurrying a device to compete with Apple. Can't wait for the BlackBerry Tour, Can't Wait.
    06-23-09 06:21 PM
    The Storm is big departure for RIM, usually Blackberries are good at what they do and very stable, the Storm is neither.

I suspect RIM has outsourced their development team to save money. The Storm is extremely poorly designed and even worse execution. They have really missed the mark on this one, sadly I do not see it getting any better with the Storm 2, they are so far behind at this point, I doubt 5.0 will bring anything to the table. RIM is still not able to deliver a responsive, stable OS for the Storm, 6+ months after its release, completely unacceptable.
    06-23-09 06:31 PM
    I don't think the OP was actually looking for a recommendation. And, frankly, you're not even in the ball park in terms of memory on the Storm. Personally, if I were you, I'd stick to something I knew.
    The Storm only has 128MB of flash memory. Thats a fact. It's one reason the phone is such a POS. Overtime if you forget to close out apps or run too many simultaneously the phone will slow to a crawl and reset. There are also memory leaks in the 3rd party apps and within the OS itself. Unfortuantely I know more about this device then I care to. I've been through four of them over six months and wiped and installed countless updates. I've had to deal with several other storms at work.
    06-23-09 08:43 PM
    The Storm is big departure for RIM, usually Blackberries are good at what they do and very stable, the Storm is neither.

I suspect RIM has outsourced their development team to save money. The Storm is extremely poorly designed and even worse execution. They have really missed the mark on this one, sadly I do not see it getting any better with the Storm 2, they are so far behind at this point, I doubt 5.0 will bring anything to the table. RIM is still not able to deliver a responsive, stable OS for the Storm, 6+ months after its release, completely unacceptable.
    Yes the whole storm fiasco could be used an example of what NOT to do when bringing a new product to market. I could be wrong but I believe the recent blackberrys such as the tour, 8900 and onyx were designed by the RIM team in Germany. Not sure about the Storm though.. I think maybe a couple of guys up in canada came up with design on a cocktail napkin one night at the bar. Then decided to get all the parts and assembly done from the lowest bidder in china and mexico.
    06-23-09 08:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD