1. mjdato's Avatar
    Got my Storm a week ago tomorrow. It had .75 installed on it when I got it, and was really slow and froze a few times but worked what I would call, ok.

    Upgraded to .83 two days ago. Camera works better but it's frozen up on me 5 times since the upgrade and still is not easy to use due to the sluggishness. Typing can't keep up with me and the browser is awfully slow.

    What are my options, I'm thinking of just returning it but am wondering if another software release is on the horizon from Verizon.

    Help me, what do you guys, the experts, suggest?
    12-23-08 03:57 PM
  2. LetMeClearMyThroat's Avatar
    Get a new phone.
    12-23-08 03:59 PM
  3. Superballs5337's Avatar
    stick with it or return it. its your choice and yours alone. you have to remember high end technology will have more problems then simple technology. so what do you want to have high tech or simple. go make your choice.
    12-23-08 03:59 PM
  4. whyme4000's Avatar
    I would suggest not installing an un-official version of the OS and go back to .75

    If you keep the amount of programs running down, remove crap you don't use, delete emails regularly, and upgrade the apps that the desktop manager suggests, it will run fine.

    At least mine does...
    12-23-08 03:59 PM
  5. Tennessee's Avatar
    i would wait till .85 offical or higher comes out before deciding anything. Just my opinion. I had problems as well as many other CB users with .85. Downgrade and wait for the official update would be my suggestion.
    12-23-08 04:00 PM
  6. RevBradley's Avatar
    My wife and I both got a Storm within a week of each other - hers first.

    Her phone gave us all sorts of trouble and mine worked like a charm.

    I re-installed the Verizon software upgrade on her phone (basically wiped the phone and started over) and POP! It now works great. She was having issues with it hanging up, extremely short battery life, etc. Now it works just fine.

    I have to think that there was a setting or a glitch when the upgrade (0.75) was installed.

    It is worth a try.

    12-23-08 04:02 PM
  7. mjdato's Avatar
    Any idea when that might be?
    12-23-08 04:02 PM
  8. dibs ODDJOB's Avatar
    Return it and get a replacement. No one should judge a phone based off of a leaked, unofficial OS.
    12-23-08 04:04 PM
  9. beamerdog's Avatar
    Don't count on verizon to help with any of your blackberry woes. They're idiots!
    12-23-08 04:05 PM
  10. Tennessee's Avatar
    Return it and get a replacement. No one should judge a phone based off of a leaked, unofficial OS.
    i agree 100%
    12-23-08 04:05 PM
  11. dhendriksen's Avatar
    Any idea when that might be?
    I would do a full JL_Commander wipe and reinstall the .83 OS. Make sure and remove the apps you don't use, to keep the available memory down. I think reinstalling the OS after a wipe will do it for you, .83 works PERFECT for me.
    12-23-08 04:06 PM
  12. loslwm's Avatar
    I went through my 2nd Storm already and it had OS .75 with no problems freezing or any of that... not willing to take the risk of updating to .83 yet until an official release from Verizon/RIM....
    12-23-08 04:10 PM
  13. FrackBerry's Avatar
    I was one of the very first of the lemmings to embrace the Storm on 11/21. My unit was plagued only by the freezing video issue. .75 helped a bit with that issue and seemed to improve stereo bluetooth audio quality(A2DP).
    I'm beginning to think that maybe some of the units shipped with hardware defects as evidenced by the fact that updates haven't remedied things for those owners. If I were you, I would ask for a replacement phone just to play it safe. You shouldn't have to put up with this fracking stuff or chance that some future update might fix things. If the video recording issue is not fixed by the 15th(Jan.), I'm returning mine.
    12-23-08 04:22 PM
  14. fecurtis's Avatar
    If you're up to it, do a complete wipe and install .83, if its buggy (a lot of people, myself included, are having issues with it, but mine aren't nearly as bad as what others have been reporting), wipe again and install .75.

    If you don't feel like doing all that, just wipe and reinstall .75, its a far more stable, albeit slower, OS.

    And if you don't feel like doing that, simply return it.
    12-23-08 04:35 PM
  15. wdcbrucefan's Avatar
    I'm close to throwing in the towel as well, in favor of going back to the Pearl. I'm usually quite pleased to work thru glitches, get to know a device and make the most of it. But the Storm is on my last nerve. My issues are both hardware and software.

    Its still lagging too much (I'm using .83) for my taste. The phone doesn't pop up when I hit "send" and not being able to have the #s and a call log is frustrating.

    The touch screen ain't all I'd have hoped. I miss being able to use the phone "eyes free" by touch.

    Typing is still not as accurate and I've tried to force myself to write and learn. I was a really fast typer on the Pearl.

    I like the big screen and all that obvious stuff. But, I am not convinced that its worth the trade offs.

    I hear that we have until Jan 15th to return it, since its bought during holiday gift purchase period. Want to know if I can undo the new 2 year contract that I agreed to when I got the Storm. And, what about the $50 rebate I've already sent in for? And, am I better off selling my own Storm on eBay, instead of actually returning it?
    12-23-08 05:32 PM
  16. mjdato's Avatar
    No one should judge a phone based off of a leaked, unofficial OS.
    Obviously. Thats why I let .75 suck for a week.
    12-23-08 07:09 PM