Well I finally dropped my Storm after about 2 months of use. that's probably a record for me but very sad nonetheless... marks aren't too bad. the battery cover came off but the battery didn't come out so it stayed on. Only damage seems to be on the chrome ring around the phone. It definitely held up better than I thought though

01-29-09 07:35 AM
    Ouch, sorry to hear. But good that it stood up to the fall... explain to us what happen? I'm curious...
    01-29-09 07:46 AM
    Ouch man - that still hurts. It's like watching a grown man do the splitz!
    01-29-09 07:46 AM
    sorry for the mishap, I'm just waiting on this to happen to me, but I use a silicon skin, so hope that will help...
    01-29-09 07:47 AM
    I was getting out of the car and didn't have a good grip on it and it slipped out of my hand. That's kind of how I figured it would happen when it did...

I have the holster on my hip but was going to put it back in there once I got out of the car. so much for that plan
    01-29-09 07:54 AM
    Yeah - I used to carrd a holster for my 8830 and thought it was SO secure. The first time I got out of my car, the seat belt caught it and flung it like 5 feet. I was SO pissed!!!
    01-29-09 08:04 AM
    I'm with you. I dropped mine on the driveway on "NIGHT #1". It made a nice bounce, my heart stopped and I got a huge lump in my throat. But to my jubilation, the only thing that happened was that one of the locks of the battery cover unlocked, but not a scratch on it.

Unfortunately, before I realized that parts of my BB was exposed when in the case, my seat belt put some nice divots in the silver bezel as I would go to buckle up.

Needless to say, I now take the phone out of the case when driving.
    01-29-09 08:05 AM
    It happened to me, too. But then I dropped it in milk and the scratches were the least of my worries.

I feel your pain!
    01-29-09 08:06 AM
    Ouch - MILK? What happened? Is it still working???
    01-29-09 08:10 AM
    Dropped mine for the first time yesterday. Have the Invisible Shield on it so it was protected with the exception of the chrome corners. Wish ZAGG came up with something to solve the unprotected corners. Oh well, other than one corner no other damages.
    01-29-09 08:11 AM
    Mine is surrounded in the hard plastic case. W/ the screen protectors on I don't think much damage can be done but I haven't dropped it so I'll have to let you know. Knowing me - it's coming!!
    01-29-09 08:14 AM
    Beat it up to get a replacement

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-29-09 08:26 AM

You are supposedly only allowed 2 replacements in one year so I would not get a replacement yet. You may need one for more serious reasons further down the road. Just my two cents.
    01-29-09 08:59 AM
    Ouch - MILK? What happened? Is it still working???
    It went in face-first. I grabbed it out quickly. It didn't get completely wet - just the face part. I immediately took the battery out and let it sit overnight. the back wasn't wet and the stickers to determine wetness were totally fine. I put the batt back in the next morning and it worked fine. The clicking screen was totally GUMMY but that eventually worked itself out (I guess after drying). But I never could hear out of the earpiece after the incident. I tried getting it out the best I could but it just didn't help. I finally broke down and got a replacement. I couldn't hear what anyone was saying! But other than the earpiece, everything was fine (amazingly)!
    01-29-09 09:01 AM

Actually over at cnn.cn I can get the chrome bezel for 19.99 so I'm not paying $50 for an insurance claim when I can do it for way cheaper and save my 2 phones a year for bigger problems like swimming pools and broken screens
    01-29-09 09:06 AM
    Is the chrome bezel easy to pop off and replace?
    01-29-09 09:12 AM
    Is the chrome bezel easy to pop off and replace?
    I wouldn't say easy, but I wouldn't say difficult. The instructions for taking it apart are here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...y-guide-54485/
    01-29-09 09:16 AM
    On day 2 or 3 of owning the Storm, I was walking out of my house and down the steps on the front porch when I slipped on ice that covered the steps and did a full gainer (damned Cleveland ice storms). Had the phone in my hands and only concentrated on making sure I didn't drop it as I fell. Bruised my back pretty good and 6 stitches to the back of my skull, but the phone never touched the ground! I feel your pain tho man. Think that would have hurt me worse!
    01-29-09 09:31 AM
    No seriously... you are paying $20 and investing the time to replace the bezel? When my phone gets a new scratch (as long as it's not the screen) or dent and survives... it's a badge of honor.

Show the world your Storm is a warrior! *grunt, grunt, grunt*

Just my two cents.
    01-29-09 09:37 AM
    Mine dropped off a table in my house once. Ony a couple nic's in the chrome bezel. But I have noticed that the black rubber side on the left side makes a clicking noise noise if I press on it. Like the black part is loose now or something.
    01-29-09 09:39 AM
    I guess it's inevitable - dropping your phone I mean. The true test is whether the phone holds up to some abuse. I don't expect my phone to be indestructible (although that might be nice LOL), it should stand up to normal wear and tear, which includes the bumps and drops that all phones get.

So far, most of what I have heard seems to indicate that our Storms are relatively well built - now if we can just get a decent OS LOL
    01-29-09 09:42 AM
    Don't feel bad. I had mine for literally nine days before my dad dropped my phone, without a case on it, out of the window of his moving vehicle.
    Yeah.
    I was pissed. The chrome-looking ring around the phone I'd all that was damagdthough.
    I was thinking about returning it but the guys at the local vzw store said I had to wait a month. Well, its been a month but mine has worked flawlessly since I got it and is a launch day one, so I didn't want to risk getting a faulty replacement.

01-29-09 09:47 AM
    Seidio Innocase will take care of that problem... what you can't see won't bother you, right?
    01-29-09 09:49 AM
    No seriously... you are paying $20 and investing the time to replace the bezel? When my phone gets a new scratch (as long as it's not the screen) or dent and survives... it's a badge of honor.

Show the world your Storm is a warrior! *grunt, grunt, grunt*

Just my two cents.
    Oh I'm not doing the $20 thing. I was just saying I would do that instead of the $50 for an insurance claim. The scratches give it character.

I will change out the bezel if I ever go to sell the phone though.
    01-29-09 10:34 AM
    Actually over at cnn.cn I can get the chrome bezel for 19.99 so I'm not paying $50 for an insurance claim when I can do it for way cheaper and save my 2 phones a year for bigger problems like swimming pools and broken screens
    Swimming Pools? Is this a regular occurrence?

I'm so scared of dropping mine...I always make sure it's in my pocket until I close the door of my car, getting in and getting out.
    01-29-09 10:37 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD