View Poll Results: What's your opinion after 3+ months?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Getting very tired, give me my OS already!

5 17.24%
  • Starting to get annoyed.

9 31.03%
  • No big deal, I can wait.

11 37.93%
  • Who cares, I can wait.

4 13.79%
    Ok VZW/RIM, we know you rushed the phone out for Black Friday...all is good with that. However, it has been three months and the OS has barely gotten any better. I'm sure many of you will argue the fact, it's faster, no lag, green GO button, etc. Lets face it folks, an official OS should have been released by now and no .75 doesn't count. I hope that we see something over the next couple of weeks. We've all read the rumors that an official update should land soon but we've been hearing that from day one. I love the Storm and the potential is huge. I just want, as I'm sure all of us want, is a stable OS, min memory leaks, long battery life and the color issues fixed. I've also read where RIM is working on 5.0?? Are they not even concerned with 4.7 any longer? What's going on?? I hate to throw the "i" word out there but they had the iPhone's bugs worked out around the same time frame of 3 months. Perhaps RIM has too many projects going on at the same time, who knows. Maybe their financial troubles have limited the manpower? Bottom line, I bought two Storms, spent alot of money for both along with accessories. I'm just tired of constantly looking for leaks, watching others tear down several OS' trying to build their own OS....which quite frankly those same people should go to Waterloo to help out with the problem. Just getting really old. How long can you keep telling people, "have patience, it will get better". Come on RIM give us some love!! We love our Berrys now love us back and get this sh!t fixed once and for all!!!
    02-25-09 08:29 AM
    1 - There's no such thing as a memory leak on a Java-based device.
    2 - .75 has been very usable for me. Compared to other smartphones (not including the single-process iPhone), it's on par in terms of speed.
    3 - No software company has all of their manpower devoted to a single task. They have several teams working on several different OS lines concurrently. There may be a 5.0 team, but there's also a 4.7, 4.6 and 4.6 teams. Writing an OS isn't easy, and I'd rather they take their time and deliver a good release, as this is what will make or break the Storm in the eyes of many.
    02-25-09 08:34 AM
    Mods I smell a rant.
    02-25-09 08:36 AM

No such thing as memory leaks?? Have you checked your memory out on your phone lately? As one stated in another thread, this thing has more leaks than the Titanic!
    02-25-09 08:38 AM
    Mods I smell a rant.
    Sorry if its not in the Rants forum but this is an OS issue. Of course, everything is an OS issue I guess.
    02-25-09 08:40 AM
    I also guess a lot will have to do with how long you have had your Storm. I've had it since day one, I guess that's one reason I am becoming frustrated with the whole issue. For those who just got their Storms...give it time....it will slowly set in.
    02-25-09 08:42 AM
    No such thing as memory leaks?? Have you checked your memory out on your phone lately? As one stated in another thread, this thing has more leaks than the Titanic!
    Oh please, do you even know what a memory leak is? There was an excellent thread in this forum explaining garbage collection and memory management in a Java ecosystem. I suggest you read it an educate yourself.
    02-25-09 08:42 AM
    Technically, the titanic had one leak... just one real big one, lol.
    02-25-09 08:43 AM
    I'm in no real hurry just to have an "official" OS. As long as the one I have works, I'm happy. The next "official" will be released here before hand as a leak anyway... I put .109 on yesterday and other than a user error with weather bug, I'm pleased. Each leak gets a little better but I'm almost to my happy place.
    02-25-09 08:44 AM
    Technically, the titanic had one leak... just one real big one, lol.
    haha! Maybe that's my problem, one 3rd party app has punctured my hull!!
    02-25-09 08:46 AM
    I beg to differ: while technically memory cannot leak in a java based system because the jvm is tracking it, it is also the case that it cannot be garbage collected as long as the jvm thinks that some app is holding a valid reference to the objects in that memory. If something in the system (OS or third party) is failing to let go of references when it should then memory use can grow in a fashion that might as well be described as a memory leak.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 08:47 AM
    Oh please, do you even know what a memory leak is? There was an excellent thread in this forum explaining garbage collection and memory management in a Java ecosystem. I suggest you read it an educate yourself.
    Damn dude, chill out. Do you have stock with RIM? Are one of the slow ones working on this OS?? Don't take it so personal. Call it what you want, memory leak, ecosystem, memory management. The bottom line, the official OS' released and the betas are all FAR from perfect, or even close to a finished product.
    02-25-09 08:51 AM
    I beg to differ: while technically memory cannot leak in a java based system because the jvm is tracking it, it is also the case that it cannot be garbage collected as long as the jvm thinks that some app is holding a valid reference to the objects in that memory. If something in the system (OS or third party) is failing to let go of references when it should then memory use can grow in a fashion that might as well be described as a memory leak.

haha! Somebody just got educated!! Thanks David!
    02-25-09 08:52 AM

Yes, in that case it could be considered a memory leak. My response is a reaction to the vast number of people who micromanage their App memory number, thinking that unused memory is a good thing. Yes, if it drops too low, you start to experience ill effects, but for the most part people are spazzing out about something that's a nonissue as their idea of a leak is a decrease in reported available memory with few apps running in the background. In most cases, this can be chalked up to the garbage collector not having been run yet.

Unused memory is wasted memory.
    02-25-09 08:54 AM
    The bottom line, the official OS' released and the betas are all FAR from perfect, or even close to a finished product.
    Then say that and not throw around phrases you don't understand :-D
    02-25-09 08:55 AM
    I'm in no real hurry just to have an "official" OS. As long as the one I have works, I'm happy. The next "official" will be released here before hand as a leak anyway... I put .109 on yesterday and other than a user error with weather bug, I'm pleased. Each leak gets a little better but I'm almost to my happy place.

You're right, its getting better in some areas while causing issues in new areas, at least for me. I've never had a battery issue until .109. The typing lag was fixed from .103 but now my battery sucks. I guess thats where my frustration sets in. I guess I assume with all the technology in the world that a Java based system could create so many problems or be so difficult to nail down. I understand that touch is new to RIM, but hey they did just receive the innovative award for the SurePress. So you (RIM) can create a breakthrough with the SurePress but get bogged down with Java.
    02-25-09 08:57 AM
    Damn dude, chill out. Do you have stock with RIM? Are one of the slow ones working on this OS?? Don't take it so personal. Call it what you want, memory leak, ecosystem, memory management. The bottom line, the official OS' released and the betas are all FAR from perfect, or even close to a finished product.
    haha! Somebody just got educated!! Thanks David!
    Actually you both need to chill out. Both of you have your opinions- let it stand at that and move on.
    02-25-09 08:57 AM
    Actually you both need to chill out. Both of you have your opinions- let it stand at that and move on.
    Exactly, terms or variations thereof have nothing to do with the thread.
    02-25-09 09:00 AM
    Yes, in that case it could be considered a memory leak. My response is a reaction to the vast number of people who micromanage their App memory number, thinking that unused memory is a good thing. Yes, if it drops too low, you start to experience ill effects, but for the most part people are spazzing out about something that's a nonissue as their idea of a leak is a decrease in reported available memory with few apps running in the background. In most cases, this can be chalked up to the garbage collector not having been run yet.

Unused memory is wasted memory.
    I won't disagree with with your point here. Certainly unused memory is wasted memory as long as it can be used wisely! I don't always trust that all programs use it wisely.
    02-25-09 09:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD