I got my new Storm 9530 less than a month ago and really like it. However, I have a few issues that I have tried to resolve myself using these forums, Blackberry's site and my carrier's site (Verizon) to no avail. I am down to posting this thread hoping to get some more specific help with these frustrating issues. I hope it is something simple since I have gone through every step-by-step process I could find.

1. Ok, first thing is that the sales guy at the Verizon store inadvertently took my software CD out of the box when we was showing me the phone and I drove home without it. Not a huge issue, but I live in Austin and bought phone in Dallas. I thought it would be easy to go online and download the software/drivers. No such luck. Here's the problem:

I go to the BB (or Verizon) site and find the Desktop Manager software and drivers I need to download. According to both sites, the software is v4.7, which I select. Keep in mind that I have tried to download BOTH the version with the media manager and the one without it. I click on "download" and save file to my desktop to install. After it has downloaded, I go to the icon to install the file. I have tried double-clicking the icon to open and install AND right-clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator", both with same result.

The WinZip Self-Extractor comes up and runs through it's setup, then asks me to select what language I want to install the software in. I click "next" since the default is English. After a few seconds, the InstallShield Wizard window pops up with the following error:

"The wizard was interrupted before BlackBerry desktop software could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified. To complete install at another time, please run setup again."

I have tried downloading to my laptop directly from the web while using my DSL connection at home and I have tried downloading the software to my flash drive using my desktop computer at work (since I cannot connect to internet with laptop at work), then connecting that to my laptop and downloading...I get the same error. This happens when attempting to download either the desktop manager software or the drivers.

I opened my list of programs on my laptop and checked to see of any conflicts that may be there, and I see a v4.3 of the BlackBerry desktop software, which I had for an older BlackBerry. Would this be causing a conflict? I would think the newer version would just overwrite the old one. Either way, just to be safe, I tried clicking on uninstall to take that version off of my laptop and got this error:

"Error1316. A network error has occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\Windows\Installer\Blackberry Desktop Software.msi"

Behind that, the InstallShield Wizard has a window announcing that it will not let me repair, remove, or modify the desktop software.

That is issue #1, and the most frustrating. Sorry for the long-winded version, but I wanted to give as much detail as possible so that you guys would be able to help.

2. I am having issues sending and receiving texts, especially from Sprint users.

When I first got the phone, I was having issues getting texts with picture attachments from friends. They use AT&T/Cingular, Sprint and T-Mobile. This was when they sent messages using SMS. The T-Mobile friend was eventually able to send me messages once she used MMS, but it would come thru after a delay (sometimes hours!).

My parents, who are on AT&T, try to send me texts and I do not get them. They do not receive mine, either. They both have BlackBerry Pearls. Other friends have BlackBerry's on Sprint and we cannot communicate via texting. After a bit of research, I found that if we set up BlackBerry Messenger, we could communicate that way, but that's only for friends/family with BlackBerry's. Not a total pain, but would like to be able to text with these people!

I have friends on Sprint that do not have BlackBerry's and we cannot communicate at all by phone using text...and obviously BB Messenger only works on BlackBerry's.

Any ideas on this one? I have removed the signature line on my texts...the one that is pre-set to stamp that reads "sent from my Verizon Blackberry" or something similar. I have done all of the step-by-steps I can find on optimizing my memory and currently show a status of 37278824 bytes under file free.

3. My last issue is very minor. It's just an annoyance for me and may or may not be correctable. I have Gmail and Yahoo mail both set up on my phone. When I get emails, they pop up on my phone...we all know this is how its supposed to be. However, when I reply to a message in Gmail using my BlackBerry, I get a copy of that message in my inbox. This doesn't happen when I reply to messages in Yahoo. I cannot figure this out for the life of me! I have looked at all the options/setting for email on my phone and inside my email (when online) and cannot fix this.

Well, that seems to be it for now. I appreciate any help I can get on any of these issues. Also, if it helps to know, I am running 32-bit Vista on my laptop and have the most currect BB software on my device. Thanks!
    01-09-09 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD