Well folks, I tried. Verizon apparently revoked my school districts education discount on plans, data plans, etc. Last December I had this discount, but apparently it is no longer. That equates to me not getting the phone

Ive had an iphone for the better part of 3 years now. Ive owned each and every model of the phone.

That being said, I am picking up the storm 2 after work today for the 30 day trial period. Reason I am doing so is because AT&T is absolutely brutal in the State College PA (during football games) area and the place that I stay the night before games. I literally cant get any data during a game, and the night before... no cell coverage at all (AT&T) - in the boonies.

I like everything about the iPhone... except AT&T. I think their network is absolutely embarrassing and I have good coverage where I live lol.

I tried the storm 1 last November and ended up going back to the iPhone within the first 30 days. The phone was just horrible, but I really liked the text input (when it worked) and the look and feel. The OS is actually much cleaner and has more options/control than the iPhone ever will.

I need the best of the best for the storm 2 to give an honest review:

Weather app with push
    Chat app with MSN and AIM with push - not draining battery in the background
    Best browser - which is it?
    sports scores - this is big during football season... anything with push?
    Facebook any good on it? have push?
    NFL Superfan on blackberry for directv users?
    Best twitter app?
    Calendar on my screen so I can see whats coming up?

Out of all the apps on the iPhone, thats pretty much all I use daily... If I get all that stuff ready to go for the weekend, I can give a review Sunday night as an iPhone user experiencing the storm 2. The droid hardware doesnt interest me in the least, and even an open phone can only have some many things that interest you.

Thanks
    Last edited by psufan5; 11-05-09 at 05:27 PM.
    11-05-09 11:24 AM
    Weather app with push - Weatherbug
    sports scores - this is big during football season... anything with push? ScoreMobile
    Best twitter app? - Ubertwitter
    Calendar on my screen so I can see whats coming up? The Today Option for the Homescreen
    11-05-09 12:11 PM
    Browser is knowhere near Safari but not horrible try oper mini beta 5 or bolt for a better browsing experience...

Facebook is ok and kind of has push it reads off of your emails which are push so kinda? lol but it works!

chat apps sit in background but I have never noticed bad batt drain on background apps and yes on push...
    11-05-09 12:24 PM
    Facebook's app is pretty horrendous on Blackberry in my opinion.
    Try it out, you may find it suits your needs.

For browsing, there's Opera Mini or Bolt. Again, opinions differ as to which is the best, try them both.
    11-05-09 12:28 PM
    There is NOTHING a Blackberry does better than an iPhone if you're talking about apps.

The only thing keeping millions of more people from going to the iPhone is AT&T. If Apple brings it to Verizon, it's game over.
    11-05-09 12:34 PM
    Weather app with push
    Best twitter app?
    1) Weatherbug Elite. The Free version is not push, it polls the server on a set interval. Elite is not S2 compatible yet, but they are working on it.

2) RIM provides both of those, and they are push.

3) I use the default, but I've heard good things about both Opera Mini 5 and Bolt.

4) I check the NFL site, but this would be nice.

5) Yea, it's pretty cool. It supports push... sorta. It looks for facebook emails, and uses those to trigger the notification. If your email is instant, so will the notifications.

6) No idea.

7) I'm not much of a tweeter, but I use Ubertwitter to follow the beat writers of my fav NFL team.

8) Yes, there's a "today" option on the default theme. Also, there are many custom themes that will show calendar items on the main screen. Custom themes are still a little wonky on the 2 until they update Plazmic though.
    11-05-09 12:34 PM
    They need a rants and raves forum for the S2.
    11-05-09 12:36 PM
    Best twitter app would be TweetGenius although its overpriced at $8 ..
    -Ubertwitter would be the best free Twitter app.. Twitterberry is horrible.

Weather Bug works great on the S2 and they've updated the look of it ..
    11-05-09 12:56 PM
    Opera Mini 5 is the best by far! On WIFI its insanely fast!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-09 02:08 PM
    Opera Mini 5 is the best by far! On WIFI its insanely fast!

I second that.. Have heard nothing but rave reviews.

11-05-09 02:11 PM
    I didn't go to PSU, but I did go to Virginia Tech and have been to a few of their football games...trust me, during a football game, no matter who the carrier, you're going to have a tough time sending or receiving anything.
    11-05-09 02:56 PM
    I didn't go to PSU, but I did go to Virginia Tech and have been to a few of their football games...trust me, during a football game, no matter who the carrier, you're going to have a tough time sending or receiving anything.
    GO HOKIES!!!!

Graduated in '91.
    11-05-09 03:03 PM
    Well folks, I tried. Verizon apparently revoked my school districts education discount on plans, data plans, etc. Last December I had this discount, but apparently it is no longer. That equates to me not getting the phone
    11-05-09 04:36 PM
    Facebook's app is pretty horrendous on Blackberry in my opinion.
    Try it out, you may find it suits your needs.

For browsing, there's Opera Mini or Bolt. Again, opinions differ as to which is the best, try them both.
    i would differ, i find the facebook app integrates quite nicely with the blackberry overall (yay calender events and syncing info) but its certainly not the prettiest if thats what your getting at.

Bolt is awesome on phones that arent the Storm, and Opera 5 is pretty good. Essentially any browser is better than the stock browser (and that would be because all the other browsers are server rendered)
    11-05-09 05:20 PM

Ive had an iphone for the better part of 3 years now. Ive owned each and every model of the phone.

That being said, I am picking up the storm 2 after work today for the 30 day trial period. Reason I am doing so is because AT&T is absolutely brutal in the State College PA (during football games) area and the place that I stay the night before games. I literally cant get any data during a game, and the night before... no cell coverage at all (AT&T) - in the boonies.

I like everything about the iPhone... except AT&T. I think their network is absolutely embarrassing and I have good coverage where I live lol.

I tried the storm 1 last November and ended up going back to the iPhone within the first 30 days. The phone was just horrible, but I really liked the text input (when it worked) and the look and feel. The OS is actually much cleaner and has more options/control than the iPhone ever will.

I need the best of the best for the storm 2 to give an honest review:

Weather app with push
    Best twitter app?

Out of all the apps on the iPhone, thats pretty much all I use daily... If I get all that stuff ready to go for the weekend, I can give a review Sunday night as an iPhone user experiencing the storm 2. The droid hardware doesnt interest me in the least, and even an open phone can only have some many things that interest you.

Thanks
    Ok now that I'm on my computer I can throw my $.02 in about the apps...

Weather app with push - weather bug (although you should know that until the apps get updated to be compatible with OS 5.0 they may not update automatically on the home screen but it's in the works...

Chat app with MSN and AIM with push - not draining battery in the background - RIM has all these apps that you can download (yahoo, AIM, MSN, facebook, Myspace, etc)

Best browser - which is it? Opera Mini by far! Bolt is good but there's a combatibility issue with the keyboard on the S2 and this browser

sports scores - this is big during football season... anything with push? There's an app in app world called ScoreMobile which seems to work pretty good for me. It's not push but one click and you get everything right in front of you

Facebook any good on it? have push? Facebook is decent but I hear it doesn't compare to the iPhone's Facebook app

NFL Superfan on blackberry for directv users? Never heard of it

Best twitter app? I don't use Twitter so I can't help you there...

Calendar on my screen so I can see whats coming up? There's a built in today option in the default theme or you can download any of probably 1000 3rd party themes

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have questions about anything else.
    11-05-09 05:41 PM
    iPhone wins, hands down. Storm 2 runs on an outdated OS with a crappy browser and app store.
    04-13-10 02:24 PM
    I win, hands down. I run on fast food, but I'm not as ignorant as some people are.
    04-13-10 02:32 PM
    04-13-10 03:52 PM
    I win, hands down. I run on fast food, but I'm not as ignorant as some people are.
    Epic win. Lol

04-13-10 04:17 PM
    iPhone wins, hands down. Storm 2 runs on an outdated OS with a crappy browser and app store.
    I win. (Because I make the rules, and I say I win! )
    04-13-10 04:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD