ok, i could have an iPhone on AT&T and a friend of mine has a Storm on verizon. we want to switch phones, but not carriers. how would we go about getting both the iphone and storm unlocked for use on our respective carriers?
    05-30-09 04:15 PM
    You can't use the iPhone on Verizon. Your friend would have to call Verizon to get the unlock code, unlock it, then switch to ATT.
    05-30-09 04:17 PM
    You can't use the iPhone on Verizon. Your friend would have to call Verizon to get the unlock code, unlock it, then switch to ATT.
    crap. ok, thanks!
    05-30-09 04:37 PM
    crap. ok, thanks!
    No problem. ATT uses GSM technology and Verizon uses CDMA. It's impossible to use a GSM device on CDMA, but RIM intentionally made the Storm to work on both CDMA and GSM for international travel.
    05-30-09 04:42 PM
    I read somewhere that VZW was doing some weird thing to be able to carry BOTH GSM and CDMA phones somehow. It was explained to me and, maybe I'm naive or something, but it made sense to me. I just wish I remembered what I was told.

The only catch was that the projected ETA was late 2010 which means we probably won't see this technology within our lifetime. I don't have any difinitive proof that this could actually happen, and I don't have any refrences for my information, and I definitely have no pictures...

...So flame away.
    05-30-09 06:24 PM
    Well supposedly VZW will be able to run gsm when the 4G LTE network gets set up with all the carriers (except for sprint)
    05-30-09 10:15 PM
    Well supposedly VZW will be able to run gsm when the 4G LTE network gets set up with all the carriers (except for sprint)
    Ya... and Verizon will supposedly be getting the iPhone in 2010 too...

Doesn't mean squat till it happens...

Look at how long our official OS upgrade is taking...
    05-30-09 11:35 PM
    I would looooooOoooooooooooOoove an iphone with verizons service

I want to meet the guy or gal who passed on the iphone at verizon

See what makes that genius tick

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 11:58 PM
    I would looooooOoooooooooooOoove an iphone with verizons service

I want to meet the guy or gal who passed on the iphone at verizon

See what makes that genius tick

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    very good business reasons went into that decision, such as Steve Jobs wanting complete control over the warranty process, meaning you couldn't walk into a Verizon store and swap it under warranty, Steve Jobs demanding a cut of the data plans, and Steve Jobs wanting to not only control pricing of the device, but not wanting to give the carrier a cut.

Carrying the iPhone cost AT&T $700 million for exclusivity just last year, they made nothing on the phones and they had to give Steve a cut of the data and all of the app revenue. The iPhone is the main reason that ATT will not have the revenue to fully deploy a 4G network for a full year after VZW has theirs operational.

All in all, I think it was a wise decision. Let ATT carry it and bear the expense until the bugs are worked out, then pick up the device after it's perfected and put it on a superior network.

I, personally, am not looking forward to dealing with people who think they're cool because they have the same thing as everyone else.
    05-31-09 05:29 AM
    I read somewhere that VZW was doing some weird thing to be able to carry BOTH GSM and CDMA phones somehow. It was explained to me and, maybe I'm naive or something, but it made sense to me. I just wish I remembered what I was told.

The only catch was that the projected ETA was late 2010 which means we probably won't see this technology within our lifetime. I don't have any difinitive proof that this could actually happen, and I don't have any refrences for my information, and I definitely have no pictures...

...So flame away.
    No need for flames... it's the LTE that everyone mentioned in the thread. That is the path they have chosen for 4g.
    05-31-09 09:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD