I guess you need to go look up the definition of "truth" in the dictionary.
    Truth: Apple is no more "perfect" than RIM or Microsoft.

Truth: If the vast majority of computers were running OS X, then there would be tons of virus programs for OS X.

Truth: There is no "perfect" device, OS, computer, etc..

Three of the four definitions from Merriam-Webster defines truth as (the fourth had to do with religion):

1 aarchaic : fidelity, constancy b: sincerity in action, character, and utterance
    2 a (1): the state of being the case : fact (2): the body of real things, events, and facts : actuality (3)often capitalized : a transcendent fundamental or spiritual reality b: a judgment, proposition, or idea that is true or accepted as true <truths of thermodynamics> c: the body of true statements and propositions
    3 a: the property (as of a statement) of being in accord with fact or reality bchiefly British : true 2 c: fidelity to an original or to a standard

Now I ask you, which of the three overall points of Ploychrome's post does not fall under MW's definition of truth?
    05-19-09 07:36 AM
    I feel that there is a kind of loyalty to the Storm even if Verizon got the Iphone. I know that it has a lot of potential and in time that it will really be able to do some amazing things. I have a buddy with the Iphone and my girlfriend has the G1. It is only fitting that I have the Storm. But I have to tell you some times when we are all messing with our phones and my Storm starts to lag or freeze up wile I�m trying to show them something it is rather embarrassing and frustrating.
    05-19-09 07:42 AM
    The thing I hate the most about the Iphone and Ipod’s and Apple is that it is to restricting. I had a Ipod once and I hated it pushed me over the edge to were I would never get a Iphone. I like to work with something that I can change and play around with and make it better my own way and not be restricted and chained down to what they provide for me.
    05-19-09 08:33 AM
    The main reason why lawyers, doctors, CEOs, CFOs, and politicians use the BB is EMAIL related. You can very simply set FILTERS for your BB to limit which email comes to your phone from ALL YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNTS. With the iMAP of the iPHONE, you get ALL EMAIL coming to the account you specifiy - you have to be careful or set up a special email account for your iPHONE, since otherwise, you better be good at deleting and filing away in folders. Professionals simply cannot spent their time dealing with tons of email while they are in the workplace. They want to know that when an email reaches their phone, it is important and needs to be dealt with.

In their downtime, these same professionals can surf to all their email accounts and look at all their email.

Doctor Neutron
    05-19-09 08:34 AM
    Storm wins for me just by way of organizing data for easy access. Being able to sync all my email accounts to my hip, and be able to fully search all the data on my phone and keep it organized. On top of that the ability to customize the phone so fully to my liking.

I couldn't stomach an iclone. Apple makes a very nice UI, but I'd much rather just get an ipod touch for media and then keep a BB for data.

The fact that the storm covers the data aspect very well AND adds some media capabilities, a nice big screen and decent browsing was music to my ears... then feeling how well the click screen works for me sealed the deal. Great phone. Iphone could not take the storm's place in my world

that and itunes... I will never ever have itunes on any of my machines again. Pure trash.
    05-19-09 10:00 AM
    Storm wins for me just by way of organizing data for easy access. Being able to sync all my email accounts to my hip, and be able to fully search all the data on my phone and keep it organized. On top of that the ability to customize the phone so fully to my liking.

I couldn't stomach an iclone. Apple makes a very nice UI, but I'd much rather just get an ipod touch for media and then keep a BB for data.

The fact that the storm covers the data aspect very well AND adds some media capabilities, a nice big screen and decent browsing was music to my ears... then feeling how well the click screen works for me sealed the deal. Great phone. Iphone could not take the storm's place in my world

that and itunes... I will never ever have itunes on any of my machines again. Pure trash.
    Almost exactly the same reasons I got my Storm! Having access to every form of communication to me as well as being a decent multimedia device sold it to me.

I had a Samsung P2 for my MP3 player before and I've pretty much tossed it aside (though it was starting to fall apart). What I love best is that I now have my MP3 player and phone in a single device, so when I do my runs in the neighborhood, I have a link to the world in case of emergencies. And I have Google Maps in case I get lost.

Sure the iPhone does all that too, but it's not on Verizon now is it? I would have had to wait it out with my LG Voyager until now for my contract to expire and move to AT&T to get an iPhone. I'm patient, but not that patient...
    05-19-09 10:14 AM
    I bet most of the folks who clamor about how great the iPhone is or how crappy it is have used it for maybe a total of 10 minutes in their entire life.

My roommate has an iPhone 3G and we typically all leave our smartphones laying around and if we need to check something online, be it a score or something we'll just grab either my Storm or his iPhone depending on which one just so happens to be lying closer, and sometimes we'll just mess around with the phone for a bit, play some games on it, browse more of the web, etc etc.

I've used an iPhone quite a lot and it does have its fair share of issues just like my Storm does. The accelerometer on the iPhone does have its moments when it doesn't want to turn sideways, I hate how I can't type in landscape mode, sometimes apps can take a while to open...just like on the Storm. Our cars have bluetooth built in them and for some reason the bluetooth in his car doesn't get along too well with his iPhone, it'll randomly disconnect and reconnect itself at very random times, plus he has AT&T so in some places he has little to no signal (particularly in buildings like bars and what not).

Other than that though, the iPhone is a solid phone that is enjoyable to use and a pleasure to look at. If you're looking for a sleek, easy to use phone, then you really can't go wrong with an iPhone. I'd go into the downfalls of the Storm but I think we all know what they are.

I know about 10 folks with a Storm, while they like their phone, the ones who've used iPhones admit that they'd prefer the iPhone...but none of us are weird like some people here, we don't sit there and have heated debates about f-ing phones, we have a life.
    Last edited by fecurtis; 05-19-09 at 10:26 AM.
    05-19-09 10:24 AM
    The iPhone does indeed have a lock
    I'd meant that it locks up sometimes. My buddy, who updates his iPhone as if it's his religion, has had it lock up on him before. I didn't mean that it doesn't have a lock, my mistake.
    05-19-09 10:42 AM
    At our site, we have deployed three apps for the iPhone, its full html browser and VPN client work great. Zero out of three of these apps work using Blackberries BES / WLAN and the blackberry browser. The apps are 5+ year old web apps. It has been my experience that Apple is doing a great job, RIM not so much.
    But thats the problem with Apple. It has to rely on 3rd party apps in order to compete with other devices in the business world and all that is tied into Apple's corporate market. One or a corpration becomes a slave and is locked into only what Apple will allow. Whereas, BB's compatibilty within the corporate world was already there long before. I agree that RIM needs to be doing more with the technology, but they are ahead of the game in the market on this subject, end of story. I believe that Apple could expand and crush the market that RIM has firmly grasped, but I don't understand why they continue to limit the iPhone's technology. I have already made up my mind that if the Storm 2 is better, I'll trade up for the Curve and buy it as a personal device. But, if the iPhone comes to Verizon, I may end up ditching BlackBerry. But I would never even consider using the iPhone as business phone, because it's not a business phone, period.
    05-27-09 04:34 PM
    No device is perfect. But to me the Storm is miles behind any phone on the market. Why? Because its totally unreliable and unpredictable. The reliablity factor should come as standard with a phone and this certainly isnt the case with the storm. Yea every product will have some returns and faults etc, but the lag, freezes, randomness that happened when i had one was just totally unacceptable. (i never got to watch a full video file ever on a storm!)
    I just cannot understand how anybody could say this is a business phone when it struggles to do the simplest tasks. If it worked as fast and was as reliable as the iphone, then maybe it could compete but at this stage at least there is no contest.

And yea the iphone has its disadvantages also - MMS, no video, no cut/paste etc. these are disadvantages, but the phone is solid and works time after time no matter what you throw at it. But when the iphone updates to 3.0 soon, sorry its allover
    Thats just been the opposite for me. I have been a smart phone user since the early 90's. I even used the Simon. I have seen devices come and go. Made many purchases and were forced to use some per employer. The company I work for now recently switched from Palm to BB. Palm and Nokias are in my opinion have been the best. I still think Treos are better than BB, but thats just me. As far as the Storm it has it's pros and cons. I have used the iPhone, have a few coworkers that have them, and I am thinking of getting one for personal use (if and when Verizon gets it), but it is a far cry from a business phone. The Storm is not 100% business savy, but it is a pretty fair balance between business and entertainment. I prefer to watch my movies/videos on my Storm rather than the iPhone, although the iPhone has a larger viewing area, it does not have the resolution or clarity of the Storm. In my business I need a phone that can handle heavy tasks, email, document viewing/editing, and so far the Storm has been pretty reliable in that area.
    05-28-09 06:11 AM
    As far as the Storm it has it's pros and cons. I have used the iPhone, have a few coworkers that have them, and I am thinking of getting one for personal use (if and when Verizon gets it), but it is a far cry from a business phone. The Storm is not 100% business savy, but it is a pretty fair balance between business and entertainment. area.
    My first computer was a Mac in 1984. Had the same Ram as my Storm, no harddrive, 9in B/W and one floppy drive that almost nobody was making the $7.00 per unit discs. The Mac cost $2,500, there was one printer available $495, and a 600 baud modem with no communication software was $295 plus the cable you had to find somebody to make. Oh, and there wasn't any software other than what was bundled and that wasn't compatible with anything. After typing in a 40 or 50 line Basic program from a magazine I was able to get on line and discovered Compuserve. Wow, I found out I had bought the worst thing ever invented. It froze, it crashed and it didn't do what the ads said it would do. Mine never did any of those things and I loved that little machine. I spent thousands more over the next 15 years on upgrade after upgrade and pooh poohed the DOS world and all those suits who couldn't understand why MacDraw was so great.

Apple still hasn't made it into the corporate world unless your business is graphic intensive. In 1998 I finally threw in the towel and decided that Windows 98, while not a Mac OS was as close as I was going to get and met the "real world" business requirements that had become a necessity. Along the way Windows based technology embraced all that was good about Mac and while the PC is still not the technical marvel the Mac is it is far more expansive, far more inclusive and economically more viable.

Nothing has changed but the names and the size. Because of its pedigree the iPhone will always be a "toy" to the corporate environment because image is everything. BlackBerry and Palm will continue to battle it out in the business world. I have PC's and Storm, my college aged kids have MacBooks and whatever this months fastest texting device is. I sneak a few key strokes on their MacBooks when I can and still love the personal feel that Apple provides. If Apple would meet my business and connectivity requirements I would probably be on one now. However BlackBerry has fulfilled both the business and personal void for me with the Storm. I guess I am lucky. No crashes, no random reboots, no dust under my screen and I really like the touchscreen and keypad. It is the best cell phone I have ever owned in terms of sound quality and reception. It is unsurpassed as an email utility which is my lifeline. After several Treos, HTCs and assorted other not so smartphones my Storm gives me much the same feeling that old Mac did. It does what I want it to do and it does it well despite the fact that apparently according to the zillions of threads on this forum it is not suppossed to.
    05-28-09 07:53 AM
    Well said. When we switched from Palm to BB, I was very skeptical. Only because the Treos did everything for us and we were extremely happy. I opted for the Storm and paid a $30 fee, because it was a promotional offer that the company did not feel obligated to pay for, for obvious reasons. 6 of us in my department got the Storm, others got the curve. I am still with my original device, I think a couple people have gotten a second maybe a third replacement. A couple of people have iPhones and they have their headaches just as much as the Storm owners. To say Apple has a more stable device compared to other devices is in my opinion a very weak point. Don't take my word for it. Go on Apple's site and read all of the rants and raves of their owners. There are just as many haters there that there are here.
    05-28-09 08:14 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD