it's amazing how many of you guys frequent the storm forums
    I come over here because it's pure comedy. And beside I had a Storm before you were even a member here and probably longer than you've been here so I can give as much feedback as someone who currently has the Storm. Plus, I can give an objective opinion on the Storm as well as other devices (since I had just about everything out there) which a lot of fanboys can't do especially when the Storm is their first "smartphone" and only been using blackberries for the past 2 years.

And just like I said, some Storm users must have an obession with the iPhone because as soon as someone starts talking about the Storm in a negative way, someone brings up the iPhone. And this is exactly what Apple wants everyone to do.... talk about their product because they clearly set the bar for full touchscreen devices. My only obsession is I love comedy and this is where it's at!
    05-18-09 01:56 PM
    The big difference is the iPhone does what it says it is going to do. It never claims to multi-task. The Storm on the other hand is not good at the things it is supposed to do. And those Storm memory leaks? They're there because it can multi-task but poorly.
    05-18-09 02:26 PM
    The big difference is the iPhone does what it says it is going to do. It never claims to multi-task. The Storm on the other hand is not good at the things it is supposed to do. And those Storm memory leaks? They're there because it can multi-task but poorly.
    May God be with you
    05-18-09 02:49 PM
    IMO, until Apple gets off it's arse and taps into what the iPhone should be and start making it compatible with with other business systems it will not be embraced as a business phone.

At our site, we have deployed three apps for the iPhone, its full html browser and VPN client work great. Zero out of three of these apps work using Blackberries BES / WLAN and the blackberry browser. The apps are 5+ year old web apps. It has been my experience that Apple is doing a great job, RIM not so much.
    05-18-09 03:07 PM
    OK, lets get a few things correct here, or a least more accurate.

The iPhone CAN and DOES multitask. Apple has restricted this ability at this point to apps it loaded natively.

Rumors are out now, that Apple is considering two different approaches (this is from MacRumors):

* Apple might allow users to select two apps that can run in the background.
    * Apple might selectively allow some apps to run in the background. We assume that developers could apply for permission to run in the background, and that Apple might approve or deny them based on the resources they need and how well they behave with the operating system's stability.

From what I have gathered, the real hindrance is RAM. With only 128MB to work with, it significantly hinders how many apps can be loaded simultaneously. Will this be addressed with future device releases, no doubt. More memory and the faster ARM multi-core processors that will be available in the next year should firm up the multitasking capability. Funny thing is, most most complaints I saw in a fairly lengthy thread over on MR was Pandora! It is the one app that I too would like to run in the background.

Many use Backgounder on Jailbroken phones, with mixed results. Most say that eventually the phone will crash, other say it depends on which apps they try and keep running. I have not JB mine so I have no clue.

unseeme and Trendy, the next hardware bump of the iPhone is not rumored to have a camera on the screen side. Video editing is what is supposed to be coming in 3.0. Not a game changer for me. Ranks up there with MMS IMHO.

I agree with ClintAustin RE the touchscreen and how well the adaptive typing and error correction work on the iPhone. Many here say that you need to give the Storm a few weeks to get used to the touchscreen, and the same is true on the iPhone. You have to 'work' with it for some time so that it can learn your particular touch f'ups. Once I let go of the desire to get every letter correct the first time, and just type ahead, things radically changed and now I'm darn fast, esp. if the app has a landscape QWERTY as an option.

And back to the OP, the fact that VzW isn't able to provide simultaneous voice and data interaction with any of their devices is a significant weakness if you are touting the importance of multitasking...
    05-18-09 03:29 PM
    At our site, we have deployed three apps for the iPhone, its full html browser and VPN client work great. Zero out of three of these apps work using Blackberries BES / WLAN and the blackberry browser. The apps are 5+ year old web apps. It has been my experience that Apple is doing a great job, RIM not so much.
    Honest question. Were these apps specifically written for the iPhone? Was there an attempt at writing them for BlackBerries? If the answers are "yes" and "no", then that's hardly a fair example is it?

Anyway, I believe jbdale's comment meant to the enterprise world as a whole. Sure there are small apps here and there that can do business transactions, but until Fortune 500 companies have a reason to switch from their BES servers, the iPhone won't make much of an impact to the business world.

It's like the English and metric system in the US. We're far too entrenched in the English system to make a cost-effective switch any time soon. It would cost companies billions if not trillions to switch their tools to match the rest of the world in any short amount of time.
    05-18-09 03:30 PM
    Honest question. Were these apps specifically written for the iPhone? Was there an attempt at writing them for BlackBerries? If the answers are "yes" and "no", then that's hardly a fair example is it?

Anyway, I believe jbdale's comment meant to the enterprise world as a whole. Sure there are small apps here and there that can do business transactions, but until Fortune 500 companies have a reason to switch from their BES servers, the iPhone won't make much of an impact to the business world.
    Like I said, the apps a 5+ years old, so no, they were not written for the iPhone, they work because the iPhone has a standards based html web browser, the Storm a nonstandard WAP browser. BES is expensive, and its sucks that RIM tries to force you into buying it to sync calendars wirelessly. The iPhone uses Microsoft Active sync to sync your calendar over wireless, which is not true push, but it is close, and a better solution when you consider the overall TCO.
    05-18-09 03:44 PM
    shameless avatar plug
    05-18-09 03:47 PM
    what can you really compare between the two? at this point not much, different stages of development
    05-18-09 06:16 PM
    i can compare plenty of stuff, but it'd be pointless....the problem is that every comparison uses a very tunnel vision perspective, and leaves out a lot of stuff that would bring more of a real world comparison feel to the discussion, but bring something logical up and you're called a "fanboi", on both sides of the fence!
    05-18-09 06:46 PM
    Is this why the iphone is killing all blackberries in consumer satisfaction even with it's plethora of problems?
    05-18-09 06:59 PM
    I hate to bring up, probably, old news but i just read on viigo the other day how the iPhone is NOT capable of multitasking and running several apps at once. I've never knew this and i must say, thats a HUGE downfall with them, it totally amazed me to read that.

I would never own one even if VW sold them, i just wouldnt be able to deal with that one aspect of it.

Just a lil rant....
    The iphone does multitask just not with 3rd party apps, get it right.
    05-18-09 07:01 PM
    Purely subjective.. it all depends on one's interpretations of better and the necessities from one person to another.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Judging by all the satisfaction ratings the iphone eats blackberries for lunch with I would think it is better to the average dude.
    05-18-09 07:02 PM
    I thought this was the Storm section. It's amazing how many times the iPhone is brought up in this section.
    I wonder, a storm forum but yet like half the posts are about iphones, heck there's even an iphone forum on a blackberry site.
    05-18-09 07:03 PM
    Consumer satisfaction has nothing to do with flaws...

Satisfaction = perception

A lot of people here don't perceive the "issues" as "problems". On either the iPhone or a blackberry.

That’s the difference.

And consumer satisfaction has a lot more to it than just the hardware...apple is a marketing "lady of the evening". They are so vocal about everything that people will sit complacent and wait with checkbooks in hand. RIM is very hush hush, so the silence stirs controversy and rumors.

It’s all quite logical. If you stop, take a few steps back and look at the whole thing.

But apple deserves the ratings they get. They’re angled all the way towards consumers, where RIM is aiming for corporate users. They haven't made the full switch over to the consumer market yet.

A consumer blackberry reminds me of how they take the big rig cabs and turn ‘em into jet trucks for drag racing. They’re never intended for that purpose, but enough re-design and *BOOM* it does something new. The difference is that RIM is tinkering with their hardware vs. aftermarket changes.
    05-18-09 07:05 PM
    Dude, your probably getting those random reboots and memory drain from the apps your
    Running cause I have no such issue's with my storm running .132. The only reboots I get is when quickpull
    Does a schedule reboot at 5am every morning, I couldn't imagine using an iphone for business
    The fact that it can't multitask is a huge factor, no copy and past, no push email, these are all
    Vital when needing a smart phone for business. But at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference
    If u want a superior mp3 player that can make the occasional call, get a phone, but if you need a smartphone
    That can do anything you need it to plus listen to the occasional mp3 or video, get a storm!

It does multitask, just not with 3rd party apps, does push email, and copy and paste is coming in 3.0.
    05-18-09 07:05 PM
    Consumer satisfaction has nothing to do with flaws...

Satisfaction = perception

A lot of people here don't perceive the "issues" as "problems". On either the iPhone or a blackberry.

That�s the difference.

And consumer satisfaction has a lot more to it than just the hardware...apple is a marketing "lady of the evening". They are so vocal about everything that people will sit complacent and wait with checkbooks in hand. RIM is very hush hush, so the silence stirs controversy and rumors.

It�s all quite logical. If you stop, take a few steps back and look at the whole thing.

But apple deserves the ratings they get. They�re angled all the way towards consumers, where RIM is aiming for corporate users. They haven't made the full switch over to the consumer market yet.

A consumer blackberry reminds me of how they take the big rig cabs and turn �em into jet trucks for drag racing. They�re never intended for that purpose, but enough re-design and *BOOM* it does something new. The difference is that RIM is tinkering with their hardware vs. aftermarket changes.
    Nonsense, if your phone is so flawed, there is no way consumers and business users will be voting for products as the top device even with all the marketing and "fanboys" you have.
    05-18-09 07:10 PM
    Nonsense, if your phone is so flawed, there is no way consumers and business users will be voting for products as the top device even with all the marketing and "fanboys" you have.
    we're talking about the apple clan here.

but the bottom line is this

1) RIM sold plenty of storms, and proof of concept has been completed. people will buy a media centric blackberry, and they'll like it.

2) reviews and polls don't represent my views or opinions. statistics can be twisted and spun to say anything you want them to say.

if you want an honest review, the only thing you can do is use the product/service/device yourself and come to your own conclusions. everyone has an opinion on the internet.....
    05-18-09 07:14 PM

if you want an honest review, the only thing you can do is use the product/service/device yourself and come to your own conclusions. everyone has an opinion on the internet.....
    Good point.

I've used both devices for 6 months (11 on the iPhone) and have formed a pretty solid conclusion. Storm = jank to use RC's slang.
    05-18-09 07:25 PM
    Good point.

I've used both devices for 6 months (11 on the iPhone) and have formed a pretty solid conclusion. Storm = jank to use RC's slang.
    and to add to that, each person will have their own standards and life experiences to bring to the table, so that is why i always suggest everyone try it for themselves. you might not like something about a device or service (speaking generally) that someone else feels is a must-have. to each their own.
    05-18-09 07:29 PM
    Both phones have problems. That's the easiest way to explain what's going on.

The Storm has bad lag, bad call quality, and -zero- official updates.

The iPhone has no flash, multi-tasking, locks, no copy/paste, and a plethora of other problems.

Just because we are biased towards Blackberries, or read reports that Storms are selling better, mean our phone has no problems. They both do.
    The iPhone does indeed have a lock
    05-18-09 11:22 PM
    we're talking about the apple clan here.
    I suffered through art school, so I know this one for sure.

Say what you will, Apple isn't any more "perfect" than Microsoft, Rim, or any other software development firm or manufacturer. Their particular advantage in the world is their snootiness appeal. From what I've seen, people buy Apple products to say they have an Apple product, and to thumb their nose at Microsoft or Dell or whoever else they don't like. Apple Fans are never able to come up with a decent, modern-day comparison of why their product is better. Best they can come up with half the time is "But Windows gets viruses!" Well, Mac would too if the vast majority of computers were Apples! It has little to do with system security and more to do with hackers looking to cause the most trouble for their programming.

The Storm isn't perfect, or perfectly stable, but I can assure you at the very least it does not crash cell towers like a certain iPhone 3g was known to do for months after its launch. And I sure as heck remember Mac fans doing *their* share of whining at lack of updates back then.

There is no perfect device, no perfect operating system, no perfect computer, etc. But people who "like" something tend to forgive its shortcomings because it has the advantages they want, whatever they may be. A simple yet flashy interface that runs smoothly should not be discounted as "not a PDA" just because users generally unfamiliar with PDAs and computers can use them. On the other hand, BES might seem like a joke to some people, but for many large businesses out there, it's a huge deal in internal infrastructure, and should not be discounted in debates just because it's not dealt with at the end-user level.
    05-18-09 11:46 PM
    I suffered through art school, so I know this one for sure.

Say what you will, Apple isn't any more "perfect" than Microsoft, Rim, or any other software development firm or manufacturer. Their particular advantage in the world is their snootiness appeal. From what I've seen, people buy Apple products to say they have an Apple product, and to thumb their nose at Microsoft or Dell or whoever else they don't like. Apple Fans are never able to come up with a decent, modern-day comparison of why their product is better. Best they can come up with half the time is "But Windows gets viruses!" Well, Mac would too if the vast majority of computers were Apples! It has little to do with system security and more to do with hackers looking to cause the most trouble for their programming.

The Storm isn't perfect, or perfectly stable, but I can assure you at the very least it does not crash cell towers like a certain iPhone 3g was known to do for months after its launch. And I sure as heck remember Mac fans doing *their* share of whining at lack of updates back then.

There is no perfect device, no perfect operating system, no perfect computer, etc. But people who "like" something tend to forgive its shortcomings because it has the advantages they want, whatever they may be. A simple yet flashy interface that runs smoothly should not be discounted as "not a PDA" just because users generally unfamiliar with PDAs and computers can use them. On the other hand, BES might seem like a joke to some people, but for many large businesses out there, it's a huge deal in internal infrastructure, and should not be discounted in debates just because it's not dealt with at the end-user level.
    Another garbage post generalizing people.
    05-19-09 05:52 AM
    Another garbage post generalizing people.
    You would be the resident expert in identifying generalizing posts.

But his post has truth in it. That much you can't deny.

05-19-09 07:19 AM
    You would be the resident expert in identifying generalizing posts.

But his post has truth in it. That much you can't deny.

I guess you need to go look up the definition of "truth" in the dictionary.
    05-19-09 07:27 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD