I hate to bring up, probably, old news but i just read on viigo the other day how the iPhone is NOT capable of multitasking and running several apps at once. I've never knew this and i must say, thats a HUGE downfall with them, it totally amazed me to read that.

I would never own one even if VW sold them, i just wouldnt be able to deal with that one aspect of it.

Just a lil rant....
    05-17-09 10:55 AM
    That is why Apple is making 3.0.

Neither the iPhone or Storm are perfect. Just remember, right now a number of people are frustrated about official releases or lack there of for the Storm...

Please get ready for the brutal beating you will receive after this post.
    05-17-09 11:03 AM
    Yea i realize, but it also mentioned the iPhone 3.0 even not being totally capable of multitasking....

Hey, im just telling it how i read it, i didnt make it up. Its just MY opinion that i wouldnt be able to deal with no multitasking, many people might be fine without it, im not.
    05-17-09 11:14 AM
    Both phones have problems. That's the easiest way to explain what's going on.

The Storm has bad lag, bad call quality, and -zero- official updates.

The iPhone has no flash, multi-tasking, locks, no copy/paste, and a plethora of other problems.

Just because we are biased towards Blackberries, or read reports that Storms are selling better, mean our phone has no problems. They both do.
    05-17-09 11:58 AM
    Both phones have problems. That's the easiest way to explain what's going on.

The Storm has bad lag, bad call quality, and -zero- official updates.

The iPhone has no flash, multi-tasking, locks, no copy/paste, and a plethora of other problems.

Just because we are biased towards Blackberries, or read reports that Storms are selling better, mean our phone has no problems. They both do.
    .75 was an update and call quality is subjective. The points about iphone are facts though. I do agree both phones have issues, but with the newest iphone update they will be making a good leap forward, i woudll think the storm has also improved to a very good phone on builds that we havent seen in public yet (.2xx) but until we see a storm running on those or a 5.0 build we can only take CX and radios word on how well they perform.
    05-17-09 12:05 PM
    In defense of the iphone I heard that the next iphone that comes out; will have a video call capability. Meaning that if u are talking with someonne that
    has an iphone u can see each other while u are talking.
    Can anyone verify this thanks.
    I like my Storm it does what I need or want it to do.
    The Storm is the eye candy for the mature.
    05-17-09 12:53 PM
    I'm sorry...but i have never understood the whole iPhone vs Storm thing. The ONLY thing they have in common is they're both touchscreen. Period. They're two different machines in all other respects. And who cares about video calling (no flame intended Trendy)?? That means you either gotta use a headset/bluetooth (which i hate) or speakerphone (no privacy and it annoys everyone else in public) just to look at whoever you're talking to...and that's if they have an iPhone as well!! They should be focusing on more important things a smartphone should do rather than options that attract the average teenager. Just another reason I'll never have one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 03:23 PM
    The iPhone is mostly a better device than the Storm is right now. Let's see what happens when 5.0 for the Storm releases.
    05-17-09 04:17 PM
    The iPhone is mostly a better device than the Storm is right now. Let's see what happens when 5.0 for the Storm releases.
    Purely subjective.. it all depends on one's interpretations of better and the necessities from one person to another.

05-17-09 04:25 PM
    Purely subjective.. it all depends on one's interpretations of better and the necessities from one person to another.

Oh, well in that case, I like a phone that works and doesn't reset, or freeze, or lock up in any number of applications 50% of the time...but thats just me. Those are my necessities. How about you?
    05-17-09 04:54 PM
    Yet another Iphone thread.
    05-17-09 04:54 PM
    Oh, well in that case, I like a phone that works and doesn't reset, or freeze, or lock up in any number of applications 50% of the time...but thats just me. Those are my necessities. How about you?
    i agree, but the storm isn't that device, so you keep sellin, cus i ain't buyin.
    05-17-09 05:49 PM
    I thought this was the Storm section. It's amazing how many times the iPhone is brought up in this section.
    05-17-09 05:54 PM
    I own a storm... And like it but I was at the Apple store the other day waiting to pick up my new toy (the 24" iMac loaded) and got to fiddling with the iPhone.
    I have to say I was extremely impressed. If they were on Verizon I would have one instead. The switch to ATT is a deterrent since it is a phone after all and world want it to work.

05-17-09 05:59 PM
    IMO, until Apple gets off it's arse and taps into what the iPhone should be and start making it compatible with with other business systems it will not be embraced as a business phone. Finger typing (as opposed to tactile QWERTY keyboard of other devices, such as Blackberrys ) poses a significant architectural barrier to business adoption. From a business standpoint, a mobile device is meant for utility. Email, productivity, and collaboration. That�s what we in business need from our phones, no? We need to be able to ensure connectivity to mission critical offices, and projects. So far, the Storm has this pretty much covered, BUT leaves a lot to be desired. Without a doubt, the iPhone is the sexiest phone on the market. Because of this and more, it will continue to prevent the iPhone from seeing widespread adoption in enterprise environments. I would definately give it a chance if and when it come to Verizon for personal use, but as for business, the Storm slows me down enough.
    05-17-09 06:00 PM
    IMO, until Apple gets off it's arse and taps into what the iPhone should be and start making it compatible with with other business systems it will not be embraced as a business phone. Finger typing (as opposed to tactile QWERTY keyboard of other devices, such as Blackberrys ) poses a significant architectural barrier to business adoption. From a business standpoint, a mobile device is meant for utility. Email, productivity, and collaboration. That�s what we in business need from our phones, no? We need to be able to ensure connectivity to mission critical offices, and projects. So far, the Storm has this pretty much covered, BUT leaves a lot to be desired. Without a doubt, the iPhone is the sexiest phone on the market. Because of this and more, it will continue to prevent the iPhone from seeing widespread adoption in enterprise environments. I would definately give it a chance if and when it come to Verizon for personal use, but as for business, the Storm slows me down enough.
    well put, and very logical. i could only dream for a day when more CB users around here approac their devices the way you do
    05-17-09 06:03 PM
    For the vast majority of users the iPhone seems to be a far superior product - largely on the basis of ease of use and reliability.

I've had my storm since December and despite all sorts of tweaking, leaks, etc. it is unreliable (random restarts, runs out of memory, battery drains quickly, lots of issues with voice quality). My friends who have iPhones generally don't have these problems.

As for comparing the two phones, I think it is very valid. Both have a few features the other doesn't...but they're in the same price ranger and offer similar capabilities. As for the "Storm is for business" argument...save it. Anyone who truly needs a communication device for their business will find the storm FAR too unreliable. It's not even dependable enough for my personal life, to be honest.

And perhaps the iPhone can't multitask...I think most would be willing to accept this limitation for the stability it offers over the storm.

When it comes to phones, the iPhone (even at its current software) simply trounces the storm for the vast majority of users. 3.0 will only make the a$$ whooping that much worse.

The issue many stick with the storm is the network (IMHO Verizon > ATT).

My hope was that RIM and Verizon would take care of storm owners - with a good update to our OS, a new OS, etc. But after 6 months nothing has materialized. The fact that they are working on a Storm 2 tells me that they're going to make minimal improvements to our storm before writing it off. It just wouldn't be good business sense for them to do otherwise. RIM's a company, they're out to make money...and they've done it quite well with the storm. Honestly they could care less what we think after having bought it.
    05-17-09 06:30 PM
    to each their own. where one faulters, the other succeeds. and eventually they will both improve. honestly i don't care what you think about the iphone or the storm. you're not an expert in the field or industry, and the bottom line is most of the people who write reviews aren't much more qualified than any of us. heck, even i write for another web page! doesn't mean my opinion is expert in the industry.

so get over the issue, and get over your selves. you can't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.
    05-17-09 07:06 PM
    For the vast majority of users the iPhone seems to be a far superior product - largely on the basis of ease of use and reliability.

I've had my storm since December and despite all sorts of tweaking, leaks, etc. it is unreliable (random restarts, runs out of memory, battery drains quickly, lots of issues with voice quality). My friends who have iPhones generally don't have these problems.

As for comparing the two phones, I think it is very valid. Both have a few features the other doesn't...but they're in the same price ranger and offer similar capabilities. As for the "Storm is for business" argument...save it. Anyone who truly needs a communication device for their business will find the storm FAR too unreliable. It's not even dependable enough for my personal life, to be honest.

And perhaps the iPhone can't multitask...I think most would be willing to accept this limitation for the stability it offers over the storm.

When it comes to phones, the iPhone (even at its current software) simply trounces the storm for the vast majority of users. 3.0 will only make the a$$ whooping that much worse.

The issue many stick with the storm is the network (IMHO Verizon > ATT).

My hope was that RIM and Verizon would take care of storm owners - with a good update to our OS, a new OS, etc. But after 6 months nothing has materialized. The fact that they are working on a Storm 2 tells me that they're going to make minimal improvements to our storm before writing it off. It just wouldn't be good business sense for them to do otherwise. RIM's a company, they're out to make money...and they've done it quite well with the storm. Honestly they could care less what we think after having bought it.

Dude, your probably getting those random reboots and memory drain from the apps your
    Running cause I have no such issue's with my storm running .132. The only reboots I get is when quickpull
    Does a schedule reboot at 5am every morning, I couldn't imagine using an iphone for business
    The fact that it can't multitask is a huge factor, no copy and past, no push email, these are all
    Vital when needing a smart phone for business. But at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference
    If u want a superior mp3 player that can make the occasional call, get a phone, but if you need a smartphone
    That can do anything you need it to plus listen to the occasional mp3 or video, get a storm!

05-17-09 07:28 PM
    I have to take issue with the assertion that a physical keyboard is a huge advantage. Even physical keyboards are only as good as the software that they run on. The iPhone's error correction and predictive text and ability to learn words you use blows RIM's out of the water, touchscreen or physical, IMO. In compairing just touchscreen devices, I have to say that in my experience the Storm's clickscreen is a huge drawback. I moved out of AT&T coverage so I got the Storm with Verizon, but I still use my iPhone around my house with Skype and email, and typing on the iPhone is always much easier than on the Storm. Really, my only gripe with the Storm is it's lackluster typing capabilities.

As far as the iPhone not being able to run background apps, yes, maybe that's a hinderance to some, but I never noticed it. I actually hate having several processes running on my Storm because it kills my battery. iPhone 3.0's push notifications should help some, and I did read that apple is working on ways to run background apps. I actually think the ability to run background apps is overrated, but that's just for my uses. To each his/her own.
    Last edited by ClintAustin; 05-17-09 at 07:44 PM.
    05-17-09 07:39 PM
    BTW patches: Ask a Ninja. Nice.
    05-17-09 07:47 PM
    As for the "Storm is for business" argument...save it. Anyone who truly needs a communication device for their business will find the storm FAR too unreliable. It's not even dependable enough for my personal life, to be honest.
    Again matter of opinion. I work for a large company that switched from Palm to Blackberry this year. Our company is demand heavy on email, foreign system compatibilty and needs a device that can handle the load. Palm was exceptional but lacked many features we need and are going to need in the future for the field work. I know they looked into Apple, but because of it's lack of system support BB suited the needs. Plus AT&T is not very reliable in the midwest, considering it and Sprint have a chunk of the market out here. There are a few people I work with who are iPhone users, they have many problems as do BB users, but eben some of the iPHone users say they would never give it up only as personal user. I have used samerphones since the early 90's, but very little of what Apple offers in the business world is being embraced by the business world. I think for personal use, I would definately consider it and am very interested to see what Verizon will offer. But I know this, if I was working somewhere else and needed a smartphone, I would look at others devices before considering an iPhone. It just doesn't fir the smartphone criteria in my world.
    05-17-09 07:53 PM
    you're welcome
    05-17-09 07:54 PM
    I thought this was the Storm section. It's amazing how many times the iPhone is brought up in this section.
    Yet another Iphone thread.
    it's amazing how many of you guys frequent the storm forums
    05-17-09 10:22 PM
    hey, i don't mind non-storm users frequenting, just don't come over here to cause trouble. devil's advocates and non-fanbois are welcome
    05-17-09 10:26 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD