so when does the 8930 come out?
    02-05-09 11:22 PM
    You are right; Blackberrys are not iPhone killers. The iPhone is an attempt at being a blackberry-killer :P
    02-05-09 11:27 PM
    Meh... Can't believe I'm about to enter the whole hardware argument but...

Arguing about the chipset is like arguing AMD vs Intel: Difficult on most levels because it comes down to how the manufacturer implements the chipset. So from that standpoint, the argument is mostly moot. It gets more pointless, imo, with the addition that cellphones are affected so much by outside factors. With signal strength / connection factoring in so heavily.

Finally, if you dig a little further on Phonewreck you'll find this: phoneWreck � In-Depth Comparison: BlackBerry Bold vs. BlackBerry Storm

In that you'll find a single comparison that comes the closest to scientific (ie: not easily influenced by outside factors like carrier, typing preference or state of the internet at that second): sideloading benchmark.
    02-05-09 11:28 PM
    To the OP, not the thread above:

I really could care less what the article says. I have been upgrading to the different OS's and found success here and there, but none so far that have been stable. However, the phone makes calls, gets emails, takes pictures, plays music, takes video, plays video, has GPS... I could go on and on. The only real problem mine has is the backlight keeps staying on or did. I just updated to .99 and it seems good. My phone responds very quickly and only has real lag issues when I'm receiving a call and something else is running. This is true for EVERY PHONE I've ever had.

But the Storm albeit far from perfect on all fronts for functionality, is a primary work device, play second. If you want an app that sounds like a light saber or emulates a flute, go get an iPhone. They are making practical applications that that are available on the iPhone and those applications will be released hopefully in a month or so for the Storm in the app store.

And in terms of hardware, as I assume that is what the article is about, go talk to the suckers who paid $400 for a 4GB phone that only runs on EDGE or worse, $600(?) for an 8GB version. That was the 1st Gen iPhone. 2nd or THIRD gen, they STILL can't send an MMS. I know that's software, but it's a drawback to the phone, I don't care how you slice it. That's the reason there are a million and one threads on iPhone forums complaining about it, because the iPhone owners want it, among other things like a flash, record video, etc.

And this isn't the only issue with the iPhone. They have to reboot, restart, close apps, WHATEVER, all the time. I have spent some time on the iPhone forums just to get an idea what some of those owners are going through. GUESS WHAT, it's the same stuff we are or have. And don't even get started on the build of those things. ONLY Apple can fix them, you have to take them to a Mac store if you need it fixed and they are constantly trying to control how the device that someone else has purchased is used by locking the code down so it can't be modified. There was an article floating around about a guy's iPhone that had SO MUCH DUST under the button (you know, the one that controls EVERYTHING on the phone) that it wouldn't respond to almost blunt force. Took it in and it looked like it had been used as lint trap on a dryer. But I'm sure that's the ONLY one that has that problem....

It's 1st gen and it will always have the slower processor. Next gen will get an update and so on and so on. Some people may have some serious hardware issues with their Storms and if so, take it back to Verizon and get it replaced. That's what the 1 year MFG warranty is for. If you feel the phone is not adequate for what you need, take it back, sell it or whatever. There are websites dedicated to complaints against or about the iPhone, so go start a cool website that list complaints about the Storm.
    Last edited by minigts; 02-05-09 at 11:31 PM.
    02-05-09 11:29 PM
    We were all aware of the hardware set up on this phone when we bought it. Its not like this is new info. The storm ISN'T an iphone so stop trying to compare the two.
    My two cents on the whole iphone killer situation

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 11:30 PM
    I think our Storms may perform as well as they ever will. I have found several articles on the net stating how underpowered the Storm is. These devices were put together using the QUALCOMM MSM7600 chipset and cpu. These are good cpu�s but in NO way have enough power to do the number crunching that the Storm requires...
    You do know that the CPU is underclocked, correct? You also know that this chipset also contains a GPU, which has yet to be used at all, correct? The Strom is doing this 100% on an underclocked CPU. The main problem with the Storm is not it's hardware--but it's OS. This OS is a rip from the Bold. If RIM would of taken the time and created it from scratch instead of modifing the current one, we would see a much better user experience. They just wanted to make the holiday season. Like any company, they want to make money. I'm not flamming you. I'm just stating what is not being stated. I think you did a good thing posting that article. Thank you.
    02-06-09 12:19 AM
    You do know that the CPU is underclocked, correct? You also know that this chipset also contains a GPU, which has yet to be used at all, correct? The Strom is doing this 100% on an underclocked CPU. The main problem with the Storm is not it's hardware--but it's OS. This OS is a rip from the Bold. If RIM would of taken the time and created it from scratch instead of modifing the current one, we would see a much better user experience. They just wanted to make the holiday season. Like any company, they want to make money. I'm not flamming you. I'm just stating what is not being stated. I think you did a good thing posting that article. Thank you.
    Where did you get the info that the cpu's are underclocked and the gpu is not being used?
    02-06-09 08:38 AM
    thanks for the 2.5 month old review. i guess having a phone that can edit documents on the go without having a to pay for a mobile office suite isnt all that great. or upgradable storage. or a removable battery. then of course there is a video camera, image stabilizer, copy-paste built in, the ability to send MMS... and oh ya.. stereo bluetooth.

yea.. if i wanted anything to do with an iphone, i'd just get an ipod touch... because at least then i wouldn't be stuck on att's network.
    02-06-09 08:49 AM
    thanks for the 2.5 month old review. i guess having a phone that can edit documents on the go without having a to pay for a mobile office suite isnt all that great. or upgradable storage. or a removable battery. then of course there is a video camera, image stabilizer, copy-paste built in, the ability to send MMS... and oh ya.. stereo bluetooth.

yea.. if i wanted anything to do with an iphone, i'd just get an ipod touch... because at least then i wouldn't be stuck on att's network.
    And here come the fanboys! I didn't say anything about what you just wrote, neither did the article that was posted. Why don't you go back and read them and try real hard to comprehend them. It may be hard to do since you're probly rushing to catch the short bus to school right now...
    02-06-09 08:53 AM
    And here come the fanboys! I didn't say anything about what you just wrote, neither did the article that was posted. Why don't you go back and read them and try real hard to comprehend them. It may be hard to do since you're probly rushing to catch the short bus to school right now...
    im sharing why i wont get an iphone. i dont know why you wasted your time posting. if i (or anyone with a storm) thought the iphone was better, we'd have returned it in the 30-45 days we could have and gotten an iphone. i dont expect my storm to be an iphone killer, but for everything i do, the storm does the job much better than an iphone.

maybe im lucky and my hardware isn't flawed like so many users. heck im still on my 1st storm. my screen clicks just fine, its doesnt have a blue hue to it and it doesn't crash left and right. so tell me why my phone, which functions flawlessly (running .99), is not as good as an iphone?
    Last edited by snork; 02-06-09 at 09:03 AM.
    02-06-09 09:00 AM
    Right now there are only 2 touch phones in contention for being the best touch phone..
    Funny you should mention this.

My pool team had a game last night. Two of my teammates have an iPhone, 1 has a Storm, and I have the Omnia, so of course we felt compelled to do a comparison.

No doubt, both the iPhone and Storm have a better screen than the Omnia, but that's where the superiority ends.

First up was Wi-Fi, the Storm doesn't have it, both the iPhone and the Omnia does.

Then we tested adobe flash capability by going to hummerstuff dot com. Neither the iPhone or the Storm could see the pictures changing in the box, but the Omnia did because I have Flash Player 7 installed for use with Opera Mobile (not to be confused with Opera mini).

Next we tested youtube video.
    The Storm defaulted to youtube mobile (could be the way his was setup, I don't know).
    The iPhone and the Omnia went to the full youtube url but can't view the videos, so we used our youtube apps. The Omnia can also save the videos and play other .flv files, not sure if the iPhone could do it.
    I've read there is a youtube app for the Storm but it doesn't work for a lot of people and if it does the video doesn't look good. He didn't have it on his Storm. I told him to come here and start reading and get some information. He used my Omnia to watch youtube videos.

Next was MMS. Of course the iPhone lost that one because both the Storm and the Omnia can send and receive MMS, the iPhone has to use email for MMS.

Next was video recording, again the iPhone came up short, but the Storm and Omnia both have video recording.

Next was camera flash. The Storm and the Omnia have a flash, the iPhone does not. We also tried a flashlight. The iPhone has an app to pretend it's screen is a flashlight. The Omnia's flash can be used as a flashlight with the touch of a button. I've read that the Storm can do that if you change video camera to flash on and set it to a button.

Next was the camera itself, iPhone has no flash so it lost. The Storm has 3.2 MP, the Omnia has 5 MP.

Finally was customization.
    I have on my home screen/today screen, the time & date, weather forecast for the next 3 days, my next few calendar appointments and tasks, email/text/MMS notification with number count for each, and I can launch my favorite apps right from the home screen. I can also have google search on my home screen but I choose not to. It allows me to search the net without having to launch the browser first. The iPhone has that too, not sure about the Storm.

As soon as I turn on my Omnia, I can see all those things without having to navigate to another page.
    Both the iPhone and Storm had to open an app to see most of the things I see just by turning on my phone.
    For those of you who thinks that would be too cluttered, I customized it to look that way, it isn't something the Omnia is forced to do.
    I don't know if the iPhone or Storm can do that, but my teammates hadn't done it to their iPhones or Storm.

The iPhone and Omnia also have a free musicID app made my Shazaam.

So it seems to me that as far as a pretty screen, the Storm and iPhone are tied, and they both beat the Omnia.
    As far as functionality, the Omnia > Storm > iPhone.

BTW - his Storm doesn't need the business cards in the battery compartment, nor did he have to loosen the screws. He said it types just fine even in the corners, and I personally tested his accelerometer and it turned every time within 5 seconds. I didn't get to see if he had dust under the screen or not but he said he doesn't.
    He also said he doesn't have to do any battery pulls.
    He didn't know where his was made.
    02-06-09 09:12 AM
    I personally tested his accelerometer and it turned every time within 5 seconds.
    sentences like this are what make me wonder about people who say there isn't a problem with a phone. you typed 5 seconds, and it seems that is acceptable to you. that is not acceptable to many people. not dissing your taste, but its interesting to see how a person's tolerance will skew their perception of the phone
    02-06-09 10:08 AM
    I seriously doubt it was 5 seconds. Even with .65 it was maybe a full second and it has been reduced to milliseconds now, too fast in some cases. Sorry correction, too sensitive, not too fast.
    02-06-09 10:50 AM
    It's slow and laggy man.......lol
    lol ok man. Thanks for telling me how my phone works.

I have an iPod Touch and a Storm, both are the same in overall speed. The internet on the iPod Touch is faster (no surprise there since its WiFi) and the accelometer on both phones are the same. Amount it takes to open up apps is the same.

I've many friends with an iPhone 3G and neither of us can tell a difference in speed. I'm envious of the scrolling and multitouch on their phones and their envious of the clicking screen since they complain they commonly touch links while browsing and it'll just go there.

Both phones are good phones, but RIM never made this to be an iPhone killer. The media and all the fanboys made it out to be that way.

Its not a matter of which phone is better but rather which phone is better for YOU.
    Last edited by fecurtis; 02-06-09 at 10:59 AM.
    02-06-09 10:52 AM
    I love how people brag about the iPhone being faster than the Storm. Ever notice that little graphic that animates when you go to open a program on the iPhone? That's the device entertaining you until the program loads. Sometimes the Storm does that, sometimes it doesn't, just depends on the application.

I've seen people use the iPhone and it's relatively quick when opening and closing programs, but with .90 and so far with .99, I don't see the iPhone being SOOO much faster. Again, my Storm may function differently than someone elses.
    02-06-09 11:11 AM
    sentences like this are what make me wonder about people who say there isn't a problem with a phone. you typed 5 seconds, and it seems that is acceptable to you. that is not acceptable to many people. not dissing your taste, but its interesting to see how a person's tolerance will skew their perception of the phone

Great point, also half of the people defending the Storm went out and bought an iPod touch, but claim to be satisfied with the Storm.
    Last edited by RCCollins; 02-06-09 at 11:24 AM. Reason: added quote
    02-06-09 11:23 AM
    Great point, also half of the people defending the Storm went out and bought an iPod touch, but claim to be satisfied with the Storm.

Lord knows it's impossible to have purchased an iPod Touch beforehand to play music and then the Storm a year later as a phone.

I mean, that just makes no sense!
    02-06-09 11:29 AM
    PS3 killer? it will never happen...

wii killer? it will never happen...

atari commodore 64 killer? that might just happen.
    02-06-09 11:42 AM
    Killer schmiller. I'm looking for a hot phone. The Storm fits the bill.
    02-06-09 11:45 AM
    lol i bought an ipod touch before the storm because i was sick of waiting on it to come out

i was anticipating giving it as a christmas gift because the storm was supposed to have all that and more

but i ended up keeping it because the storm fell short

so thats how that went
    02-06-09 12:22 PM
    I've got a Bold and would love to have an iPod touch.. But right now the Bold meets my music needs quite well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 12:48 PM
    Well, for me, I was hoping to get some of the fancy transitions, i like the eye candy. Now, with my discovery of the feebly hardware, I know this will never happen. I can accept that. Maybe we will get it on the Raging storm?
    02-06-09 04:58 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD