I think our Storms may perform as well as they ever will. I have found several articles on the net stating how underpowered the Storm is. These devices were put together using the QUALCOMM MSM7600 chipset and cpu. These are good cpu’s but in NO way have enough power to do the number crunching that the Storm requires. I think this is why we saw a reduction in color quality in .99, I think they reduced quality so RIM could bring back the fading transitions, this lack of power in also the reason that the menus, scrolling and switching apps is so damn laggy. In short, we, the first gen Storm owners will never see the touted IPhone killer, we just don’t have the hardware to do it all the eye candy.. No OS update will change a lot of the problems we are having guys... Sucks I know…

Here is a good article:
    phoneWreck � BlackBerry Storm - Review and Teardown

P.S. All you RIM fanboys please READ the article before flaming me....
    Last edited by wardo5757; 02-05-09 at 08:41 PM.
    02-05-09 08:33 PM
    I think our Storms may perform as well as they ever will. I have found several articles on the net stating how underpowered the Storm is. These devices were put together using the QUALCOMM MSM7600 chipset and cpu. These are good cpu�s but in NO way have enough power to do the number crunching that the Storm requires. I think this is why we saw a reduction in color quality in .99, I think they reduced quality so RIM could bring back the fading transitions, this lack of power in also the reason that the menus, scrolling and switching apps is so damn laggy. In short, we, the first gen Storm owners will never see the touted IPhone killer, we just don�t have the hardware to do it all the eye candy.. No OS update will change a lot of the problems we are having guys... Sucks I know�

Here is a good article:

i don"t think anyone wants to come to the reality....
    02-05-09 08:58 PM
    i don"t think anyone wants to come to the reality....
    I didn't want to either... I was very dissapointed after reading about the hardware installed in these devices.
    02-05-09 09:00 PM
    I wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun.... I was reading in Fortune today about many of the shortcomings of the iphone that storms don't have. In addition to the fact that iphones cannot send text messages with pictures attatched, they are weak in many departments in the business application sector that storms don't have. EXAMPLE: No way to search emails... no way to "cut and paste" text for editing. Many other shortcomings on the iphone. We just happen to get in on the ground level so these things have lots of bugs to work out and better os's comeing down the line to improve things.
    02-05-09 09:30 PM
    I wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun.... I was reading in Fortune today about many of the shortcomings of the iphone that storms don't have. In addition to the fact that iphones cannot send text messages with pictures attatched, they are weak in many departments in the business application sector that storms don't have. EXAMPLE: No way to search emails... no way to "cut and paste" text for editing. Many other shortcomings on the iphone. We just happen to get in on the ground level so these things have lots of bugs to work out and better os's comeing down the line to improve things.
    You are exactly right and wrong... All the problems you're talking about can be solved via software. We have a hardware problen and that can never be solved without changing physical parts, which will never happen. All the OS updateds in the world will not fix what's wrong with our phones, according to that article.
    02-05-09 09:35 PM
    Regardless, people will argue that their Storm is just as responsive as the iPhone, has more features, is aimed at a different crowd, the App store is not a pipe dream and the Verizon network is faster surfing the web than an iPhone connected to Wifi.
    02-05-09 09:36 PM
    Why does the storm have to kill the iphone? Its silly and childish. They are both good devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 09:38 PM
    Regardless, people will argue that their Storm is just as responsive as the iPhone, has more features, is aimed at a different crowd, the App store is not a pipe dream and the Verizon network is faster surfing the web than an iPhone connected to Wifi.
    People can argue that their phone works perfectly, they are living in denial. We all have precisely the same hadware. Some people just don't find the laggyness a problem like others.
    02-05-09 09:39 PM
    Interesting article and comments.

Unfortunately, someone neglected to tell my 9530 it is supposed to be slow.

YMMV.
    02-05-09 09:43 PM
    Why does the storm have to kill the iphone? Its silly and childish. They are both good devices.

Why? Anyone that thinks this phone wasn't built to compete and beat the Iphone is a dreamer. Right now there are only 2 touch phones in contention for being the best touch phone.. They are both good, but definatley not equal, and a lot of people here want the eye candy that the Ipone has and what we have seen on the Palm Pre. I am just saying that the storm does not have the power to make that happen.
    02-05-09 09:43 PM
    Interesting article and comments.

Unfortunately, someone neglected to tell my 9530 it is supposed to be slow.

YMMV.
    It's slow and laggy man.......lol
    02-05-09 09:45 PM
    That is alright, I don't expect it to be an iphone... If I wanted an iphone I would have bought one. I am quite pleased with the power the storm has and what I can do with it. I don't need applications to tell me where to eat, or how to divide a check 5 ways. I can do that in my head, or on a calculator. I do much prefer the storms touchscreen to the iphone screen. I feel like I have more control. I stick by my choice with the storm.

I do need applications that are useful, i don't need the "ijiggle" or whatever it is... Besides, I am not an apple user... I have an old ipod and that is enough for me. Personally I think the Storm is a sexy, sleek piece of hardware, and I feel like the Storm is a lot more durable than the iphone is... The iphone feels like it would be crushed in my hands. I am not exactly easy on some of my gadgets at times, so it isn't something I want to have to worry about.
    02-05-09 09:49 PM
    It's so very very true...

The Storm is built from the same hardware as the Bold, but needs to run additional software for the keyboard and touch screen functions...

It's never going to be a full powerhouse like it supposed to be...
    02-05-09 09:52 PM
    That is alright, I don't expect it to be an iphone... If I wanted an iphone I would have bought one. I am quite pleased with the power the storm has and what I can do with it. I don't need applications to tell me where to eat, or how to divide a check 5 ways. I can do that in my head, or on a calculator. I do much prefer the storms touchscreen to the iphone screen. I feel like I have more control. I stick by my choice with the storm.

I do need applications that are useful, i don't need the "ijiggle" or whatever it is... Besides, I am not an apple user... I have an old ipod and that is enough for me. Personally I think the Storm is a sexy, sleek piece of hardware, and I feel like the Storm is a lot more durable than the iphone is... The iphone feels like it would be crushed in my hands. I am not exactly easy on some of my gadgets at times, so it isn't something I want to have to worry about.
    Dan, i agree with everything you just wrote, everything. But the things I don't like about the Storm will never change, thats what I am talking about. I also like this phone better, but I have just come the realization that the things that I don't like and was waiting for an OS update to fix, will simply never happen. They won't hapen because of the lack of power. Thats what I was trying to get across.
    02-05-09 09:53 PM
    but...what if i didn't cross shop an iphone, could care less about an iphone, don't expect my storm to be an iphone killahhhhhhhhhhhhhh?

what is this "a lot of the problems we are having" you speak of?

what if i've been running .99 for the past 3 days (and counting) without a battery pull or any of the issues i had on the previous builds?

what if i just want a blackberry with a great screen and best multimedia capabilities of any blackberry?

what if my expectations of the storm are now being met?

why are you people so fixated on the iphone like it can turn water to wine?

02-05-09 09:59 PM
    OK, where do I start? I am not the most techno-geek guy on the planet so when you start telling me chip this and cpu that it means nothing to me. I have never owned a BB prior to the Storm. I can't say "my curve blows this hunk of garbage in the trash" or some other coy statement. But I can tell you this, I love this phone. I am running .75 ( I know, I also smack stones to light a fire) I use the crap out of my phone, I watch movies, listen to music, manage four email accounts, take and send pictures. I even read books on it. Now I am not digging anybody for hating the Storm or loving the iPhone its just that Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors and there is room for all the techno band wagon. I read some of these posts and I wonder what the haters are doing here as well as the intolerant lovers. I am glad everybody is as passionate as they are but, you do know its just a phone right. (will probably be banned from CB for uttering that.)
    02-05-09 10:04 PM
    OK, where do I start? I am not the most techno-geek guy on the planet so when you start telling me chip this and cpu that it means nothing to me. I have never owned a BB prior to the Storm. I can't say "my curve blows this hunk of garbage in the trash" or some other coy statement. But I can tell you this, I love this phone. I am running .75 ( I know, I also smack stones to light a fire) I use the crap out of my phone, I watch movies, listen to music, manage four email accounts, take and send pictures. I even read books on it. Now I am not digging anybody for hating the Storm or loving the iPhone its just that Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors and there is room for all the techno band wagon. I read some of these posts and I wonder what the haters are doing here as well as the intolerant lovers. I am glad everybody is as passionate as they are but, you do know its just a phone right. (will probably be banned from CB for uttering that.)
    Look, I like the Storm and do not intend to return it or go and but an Iphone. I was in the same boat as most ( except for all the people that have a phone that was built and Germany and works perfectly) waiting for an OS update that will get rid of the lag. I now know that it's not going to happen because we do not have the hardware for it. And yes, I don't care who you are, your phone is at the very least, laggy..
    02-05-09 10:11 PM
    Forget the Storm....go for the iPhone. I just heard that ol' Captain Sully didn't actually land that plane on the Hudson River. He just plugged in his iPhone.
    02-05-09 10:14 PM
    This is my response to the whole "iPhone Killer" argument:

If I wanted an iPhone, I'd get an iPod Touch and any free phone from VZ to do the job better

My Storm does double duty as a communications and multimedia device. But for me, communications is primary and multimedia is secondary. The iPhone cannot contend with any 3g phone on the market, partially crippled by AT&T's network and mostly crippled by its own hardware and / or software. Apple fanbois can scream but I've seen a Bold hold a better signal connection sitting right next to an iPhone.

Seriously people. The only people wanting to put phones in direct competition with other phones are the people who own them. Everyone else just panders to the ensuing arguments for publicity or profit.
    02-05-09 10:17 PM
    Fading transitions suck anyway...make them go away please! One of the things I don't like about our iPhone is all the stupid animations and garbage that really slow it down. The Storm is better than the iPhone in almost every respect. Is it an iPhone "killer?" Probably not, but IMO it's slightly better overall. I really don't give a rip what any of these reviewers say.
    02-05-09 10:22 PM
    I actually own both the IPhone 2g 8gb jailbroke and unlocked and the Storm.
    I have retired my IPhone because it is not what I need in a business application. Dont get me wrong it is a functional phone,for multimedia and playing games, however, my storm performs better in the application I use a phone for. As for issues the IPhone had it own set of uncontrollables ( thats why the send out a new OS every month or two, not to metion to stop the unlocking and jailbreaking of their device). The Storm has from the beginning been designed for business applications and performs in my opinion flawlessly there. Again in my opinion, in a business application, there is not a device to compare it to, albeit a IPhone, Palm, HTC, Motorola or whatever your poison is.

Spent two months with an IPhone.......never again. Love my BB
    I wouldnt even mention it below
    Last edited by bbcrackman; 02-05-09 at 10:30 PM.
    02-05-09 10:28 PM
    The thing about all of this is, you can pull up tech specs and all of the stuff, which is always off course great information to have.
    but endgame its all about opinion, some people like the iPhone better just because they are apple fanboys or whatever reason and some people might like their storm better just because they already threw down 200 on the phone. whatever the reason maybe it all comes down to opinions. great to hear them though

still im not any business person or anything and this is actually my second blackberry and I love it.
    yes I do have to perform the occasional battery pull and yes sometimes videos that I record on my phone arent playable because of compatibility issues (lol), but I still love the phone it meets my expectations. and it is a first generation.
    also, my friend cant drive a mile in his car without his iphone losing the very 3G network it was named for lol.
    although I must admit the iPhone is much more usable and thats just cuz Apple are some flashy sobs
    02-05-09 10:39 PM
    I think our Storms may perform as well as they ever will. I have found several articles on the net stating how underpowered the Storm is. These devices were put together using the QUALCOMM MSM7600 chipset and cpu. These are good cpu�s but in NO way have enough power to do the number crunching that the Storm requires. I think this is why we saw a reduction in color quality in .99, I think they reduced quality so RIM could bring back the fading transitions, this lack of power in also the reason that the menus, scrolling and switching apps is so damn laggy. In short, we, the first gen Storm owners will never see the touted IPhone killer, we just don�t have the hardware to do it all the eye candy.. No OS update will change a lot of the problems we are having guys... Sucks I know�

Here is a good article:

1-Not a RIM fanboy
    2-Don't have an iphone.
    3-It's obvious that a phone like this/even the Bold isn't an *iphone killer*

The iphone is a well thought out/executed device.
    While the Storm isn't as great it serves its purpose...

-Resume crying-
    02-05-09 10:43 PM
    I read that article last year. Where the h3ll have you bashes been?

02-05-09 11:14 PM
    Please stop comparing phones. No phone is the same so there are always going to be differences between devices that some like and some dislike. You pick a phone and go with it.

The iphone is good at what it does, being "fun and cool" and the storm is good at what it does, providing connectivity and interaction. Personally as a business professional I can't see my self switching to a playful toy thats more for games and multimedia than communication and secure connectivity. But thats me and everyone is different.

Besides if you are a true crackberrian, you know that blackberry's are their own breed and are incomparable to the rest of the cell phone universe
    02-05-09 11:15 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD