03:47PM Monday Feb 23 2009 by Karl Bode
    tags: business � hardware

Apple actually approached Verizon with exclusive distribution rights to the iPhone first, though Verizon balked at the money Apple was asking for. AT&T was less shy, cutting a deal with Apple that was recently reworked to give AT&T iPhone exclusivity until 2010, though AT&T pays Apple about $300-$450 for each HSDPA-enabled iPhone sold. There were rumblings of a CDMA/EVDO-ready iPhone last fall, but ITExaminer is reheating the rumor by saying that anonymous sources at Apple will be announcing iPhone compatibility with Verizon Wireless "soon." They don't give much (if anything) to support the claim, though if it happens, it can't happen until next year.

Verizon Getting iPhone 'Soon' - Though AT&T has exclusive contract until 2010 - dslreports.com

02-23-09 07:32 PM
    Apples exclusivity with AT&T ended january 1, 2009
    the ACTUAL reason that the iPhone was turned down by Verizon had nothing to do with money, it was mainly the fact that Apple wanted to do their own customer service and Verizon would not allow it, so they passed. plain and simple.
    02-23-09 10:06 PM
    02-23-09 10:08 PM
    From the matrix2004 link to CNet

Correction 11:56 a.m. PST: We messed up. The 9 to 5 Mac blog we cited below is in fact from September 2008, so it turns out this is an old rumor. Because it showed up in our RSS feed Saturday, we, like a number of other publications, took it as a recent post and went from there. Apologies for the confusion.
    Looks like they got excited a bit too easy. It can still mean that something is in the works, but most likely not yet, but *one* day for sure
    02-23-09 10:21 PM
    I'd prefer a touchscreen Android Phone over the Apple iPhone TBH.
    02-23-09 10:25 PM
    So you'd prefer the g1 over the iphone 3g?
    02-23-09 10:32 PM
    I love my storm, but i also love an iphone
    If this is true
    Ina year im getting one=)
    02-23-09 10:37 PM
    Apples exclusivity with AT&T ended january 1, 2009
    the ACTUAL reason that the iPhone was turned down by Verizon had nothing to do with money, it was mainly the fact that Apple wanted to do their own customer service and Verizon would not allow it, so they passed. plain and simple.
    Yep. Also Apple wanted to take care of selling the phones in thier own Mac Stores and not Verizon stores. Verizon wasnt having that either and decided to pass along with the reason stated above. Just goes to show how confident of a company they are. iPhone is a sick phone, but AT&T just hinders its possibilities.
    02-23-09 11:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD