Grrr help me out guys! My friend has the 3G iPhone and tonight I got grilled by him for the Storm being an iPhone copy!

I've read up on the spec's of both the 3G iPhone and the Storm to compare them but all I can find is the Storm can record video! I want to win this argument! Do you think the Storm is just a copy of the iPhone? Can it do something the 3G iPhone can't do?

I know it's petty and we're only having a laugh but I want to prove him wrong
    Last edited by dannster; 11-11-08 at 10:29 AM. Reason: spelling
    11-10-08 07:57 PM
    Oh, and he's convinced email on the 3G iPhone is better than on a Blackberry. Is it?!?
    11-10-08 07:58 PM
    Verizon's Coverage > AT&T's Coverage
    11-10-08 07:58 PM
    Ah, no good to me, I'm in the UK The Storm is HSDPA right? Is that faster than 3G or the same?!
    11-10-08 08:00 PM
    Ah, no good to me, I'm in the UK The Storm is HSDPA right? Is that faster than 3G or the same?!
    Faster than 3G.
    11-10-08 08:03 PM
    1. Can send and receive video and picture messages.
    2. Can take movies with camera.
    3. Can edit and view Excel, Word, and Power Point.
    4. Click screen.
    5. Removable/Replaceable battery.
    6. Upgradeable memory.

Honestly you could probably owe some credit to the Iphone for pushing the market in a direction that makes the Storm a reality.
    11-10-08 08:05 PM
    Cut and Paste?
    I hate comparing these two devices, but. The Iphone can't record video, doesn't have a flash, can't expand memory, can't pull the battery, can't copy & paste, can't run more than one application at a time, no A2DP, the iphones email doesn't compare to RIM's push email, and Active sync doesn't hold a candle to RIM's BES. Thats not all, but I hate these threads because I'm not doggn the Iphone.

Edit: @ 2dogs, sorry the Storm was already thought of before Apple made the Iphone.
    Grrr help me out guys! My friend has a 3G iPhone and tonight I got grilled by him and his other iPhone friends about the Storm being an iPhone copy!

I've read up on the spec's of both the 3G iPhone and the Storm to compare them but all I can find is the Storm can record video! I want to win this argument! So, can anyone help me out? Do you think the Storm is just a copy of the iPhone? Can it do something the 3G iPhone can't do?

I know it's petty and we're only having a laugh but I want to prove him wrong
    As a current iPhone owner I can attest to these things:
    safari crashes far too much
    mysterious unreceived calls
    no copy nor paste
    too responsive touch screen, ask them how many times they've clicked the wrong thing by accident.
    This is purely from my own experience.
    Hope this helps. Every phone has it's drawbacks but I for one am not convinced the iPhone is the be all and end all. I love technology my loyalty lies with no one, at least not for long.
    11-10-08 08:06 PM
    Ask him to send you a text message and respond asking how many times he made a mistake typing it in the process.
    11-10-08 08:07 PM
    11-10-08 08:11 PM
    I hate comparing these two devices, but. The Iphone can't record video, doesn't have a flash, can't expand memory, can't pull the battery, can't copy & paste, can't run more than one application at a time, no A2DP, the iphones email doesn't compare to RIM's push email, and Active sync doesn't hold a candle to RIM's BES. Thats not all, but I hate these threads because I'm not doggn the Iphone.

Edit: @ 2dogs, sorry the Storm was already thought of before Apple made the Iphone.
    If it was though of first, too bad the Iphone came out first. Now it seems to have set the bar that everyone will be compared to. Even if the Iphone is subpar compared to the Storm.
    11-10-08 08:12 PM
    Technical aspects are great, raw figures to say this does that and that does this is pointless. Blackberry as a platform, not a fancy phone like the iphone, is your argument. BIS/BES is the foundation of RIM since day 1, it has been an after thought for Apple. With the global demand to be connected on a buisness side and now for consumers, RIM has the infrastructure to execute it fairly flawlessly. The BB platform and the iphone started from two different directions and could be on a collision course, but with RIM 24 years of perfecting the platform and making the technology affordable to consumers, that beats the iphone anyday.
    11-10-08 08:14 PM
    Ask him how many times his browser crashes.
    11-10-08 08:14 PM
    In art as in life, life tends to mimic art. In its conception the Storm is nothing better than a different interpretation. Hind sight is always 20/20, in that you know what you have to achieve greater than. I would hope for the developers sake that they achevieved that goal. For the interem I say yes, for all of eretnity, I hope not. For the sake of mas ability this is not the "end all be all"
    11-10-08 08:24 PM
    hehe thanks guys! I did argue that it was impossible to type on the iPhone unless you used your little fingers to which he said that Storm's keyboard is ridiculous with the letters being in couples (ie AB CD EF).

I'll ask him to launch this topic on his iPhone tomorrow
    11-10-08 08:31 PM
    In art as in life, life tends to mimic art. In its conception the Storm is nothing better than a different interpretation. Hind sight is always 20/20, in that you know what you have to achieve greater than. I would hope for the developers sake that they achevieved that goal. For the interem I say yes, for all of eretnity, I hope not. For the sake of mas ability this is not the "end all be all"
    That brought a tear to my eye.
    11-10-08 08:31 PM
    just ask them to change the battery when out of juice!...oh yeah
    11-10-08 08:34 PM
    Tell your friends that the Iphone is a copy of the LG Prada.
    11-10-08 08:56 PM
    in addition to what others have said:

-tethering
    -camera has geotagging
    -it's a blackberry
    11-10-08 09:15 PM
    hehe thanks guys! I did argue that it was impossible to type on the iPhone unless you used your little fingers to which he said that Storm's keyboard is ridiculous with the letters being in couples (ie AB CD EF).

I'll ask him to launch this topic on his iPhone tomorrow
    Well, tell him you can just rotate your screen in any application and get a full qwerty keyboard, just like his iPhone....and in email too...ask him to do that (go horizontal while composing an email on his iPhone). Then ask him to send you an MMS.
    11-10-08 09:36 PM
    If they bring up Wi-Fi. I just don't think it is an issue....Unless you are not a current Verizon customer. Their coverage is just superior. I could even log on the internet while I was in Mexico. Everywhere. I don't see a need for the WI-FI with the Verizon service. Most all places you will get coverage. The only place I have not been able to get Verizon service is when I have been deep in the mountains. They would not get WI-FI either there. My kids have the iTouch and would love to be able to get the connections I am able to....
    11-10-08 09:38 PM
    If they bring up Wi-Fi. I just don't think it is an issue....Unless you are not a current Verizon customer. Their coverage is just superior. I could even log on the internet while I was in Mexico. Everywhere. I don't see a need for the WI-FI with the Verizon service. Most all places you will get coverage. The only place I have not been able to get Verizon service is when I have been deep in the mountains. They would not get WI-FI either there. My kids have the iTouch and would love to be able to get the connections I am able to....
    That's the problem with iPhone lovers that I've met. They're OBSESSED with the "lack of WiFi" argument. None of them seem to have EVER used Verizon because none of them realize that you don't really NEED WiFi with Verizon, while it's pretty much necessary with ATT.
    11-10-08 09:51 PM
    No no. You two have it wrong. Wifi is much faster than EVDO, so don't get that twisted. However, with Wifi, well it kind of defeats the whole "mobile" concept. But it's still nice to have. And Verizon's EVDO is not the be all end all service either, he ll you can't even talk and browse the web at the same time. Anyways, yes wifi is no deal breaker, but don't act like EVDO Rev A is comparable or wifi is not nice to have. 9/10 corporate users will tell you they'd love to have wifi. Which is why the Niagara on Verizon will have wifi, and it's why the NA GSM version of the Storm will have it as well.
    11-10-08 09:58 PM
    i would love to have wifi so i could network with my PC at home...from the couch!
    11-10-08 10:00 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD