Recently I visited a radio station's web page from my BB browser and tried to stream the station over the internet. I don't know if it would have worked anyway or not, but the page gave me an error saying that due to licensing laws I could not stream the station from outside the US.

My Storm was made in Canada, bought from a Verizon store (I still have VZ service, too) in the US and used exclusively in the US. Since the site seemed to think I was outside the US I looked up IP address and then looked up its location online. According to my IP I'm in Tangier, Morocco.

I don't know if this is a common problem or if there's any way to change my IP address to a US one, but any help or information would be greatly appreciated!

- Matt
    01-24-09 02:19 PM
    does the website report an IP address for you?
    01-24-09 08:11 PM
    what does proxify.com/whoami report on your device?

IIRC, if you're using browser, you don't have a true static IP address for your phone. You're connecting through RIM's proxies to reach the streaming radio station. Nevertheless, the radio station should be detecting US-based proxies, not ones based on another continent.
    01-24-09 08:56 PM
    I would think that all of the IP addresses are dynamic and not static for the cell phones. I believe that you have to pay extra if you want a static IP address for your device. It's weird that it is showing an origination from Morocco, not that I think there's anything wrong with Morocco, it's odd that it's choosing that location.
    01-24-09 09:16 PM
    I'll try to respond to all of the posts in one:

The web site does tell me what my IP address is and that's the one I put in to find the location for. I just used the first site that came up in a Google search and it said Morocco. Just now I tried some other sites and got a few answers, two said it was the US (including proxify) and two said it was Canada. Canada could make sense to me, seeing as RIM's Canadian, so maybe that's where it's all registered or something, I don't know.

I didn't think I would have a static IP but I also figured the IP I had would be somewhere in the US.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone! It's not a big deal if I can't figure this out, it's just puzzling.
    01-24-09 10:46 PM
    I just tried Who am I? and it states i'm in Waterloo, ON, Canada.

I'm not in Canada. I'm in the states.
    03-07-09 07:46 PM

You may be in the US, but RIM's proxy servers may be somewhere else. When you use Browser, you're connecting through RIM's proxy servers, so that's what proxify is picking up.
    03-07-09 07:50 PM

Same here. I noticed this a few days ago. Just wanted to know where I am and it said I am in Canada. I know that they are using proxies, but would it kill them to fill up more here in the US, or to make the US sold phones only connect to US proxies. Anyways, the whole thing hit me as strange, but I guess its just one of those things you have to live with.
    03-07-09 09:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD