I am in ireland with my storm (US) and got it unlocked and with a vodafone sim. Phone works fine, but there is no data usage (the browser icon even disappeared.) Anyway, I went to vodafone and asked why there wasn't any data on it, and the lady there said that I had to download something from blackberry.com? Any idea what she is talking about? Didn't give me much information... so anything would help

thanks
    01-07-09 03:07 PM
    buddy can you guide me how u got it unlocked and for how much?
    i want to use it in europe too

thx

btw initially the seller told me the phone i sonloy locked for NA GSM not europe..i guess it was alll BS
    01-07-09 04:02 PM
    I am in ireland with my storm (US) and got it unlocked and with a vodafone sim. Phone works fine, but there is no data usage (the browser icon even disappeared.) Anyway, I went to vodafone and asked why there wasn't any data on it, and the lady there said that I had to download something from blackberry.com? Any idea what she is talking about? Didn't give me much information... so anything would help

thanks
    I asked this question as well as I'm going to Italy soon. From what I understand, to use data (internet, etc.) on your phone you will need to setup an account with Verizon for their International Service ( International Services).

To save $$$, I was going to pick up a SIM when in Italy for voice and setup my phone for the International Plan for data. I would have to swap the SIM but it's the way to go from what I can see.
    01-07-09 04:13 PM
    You could sign up for Verizon's Global Travel Program.
    01-07-09 04:31 PM
    Hi, welcome to my part of the world

UK pay and go sim cards do not do Blackberry Data unfortunately (I would assume Irish ones are the same). For browsing you could try installing the Opera Mini browser and enter Vodafone's APN settings onto the device.
    01-07-09 04:51 PM
    im going to italy in about 30 hours and being there for a semester.. got the storm 3 weeks ago. figured on using IM+ for skype to do some minor calling but other then that AIM can IM phone numbers as well as buddies... and thats all data... or so i understand...

so the 35 add on price for the unlimited international data should be plenty.. granted everything goes as plan..not sure about skype calls yet and aim isn't working right now LOL!!!
    01-07-09 11:03 PM
    so the only way to use the internet is to update my verizon bis plan?
    01-08-09 12:34 PM
    just use the wifi bro...
    01-08-09 12:53 PM
    just use the wifi bro...
    wifi? on the storm?
    01-08-09 04:40 PM
    wifi? on the storm?
    sarcasm, I'm sure...
    01-08-09 04:42 PM
    i sure hope so.. i dont really have a problem with no wifi. i had an iphone and never really used it. and im almost always in a place with wifi just never felt the need to connect. if im gonna do something where i need to look it up fast im gonna get on a comp. because ultimately there is no "fast" on a phone.
    01-08-09 04:47 PM
    I support an executive that travels extensively and we just went through this with Verizon at Christmas and I was told by more than one person that Verizon and Vodafone do NOT have a tethering agreement so at least for now it is not an option?

Can anyone confirm?
    01-08-09 05:02 PM
    I am using my Storm in Europe with the Global Email plan. It is great. The only problem is that in some countries there is no agreement for 3G and you have to use GPRS (That should not be a problem for the big countries). You cannot beat the price for the data plan. For voice I am using a separate handset with a local sim.
    01-08-09 05:30 PM
    Could you just buy a local sim card in europe and pop it in ur phone.. Like a vodaphone card.. If so what are those costs to you and thw receiving end...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-09 11:12 AM
    Hi, welcome to my part of the world

UK pay and go sim cards do not do Blackberry Data unfortunately (I would assume Irish ones are the same). For browsing you could try installing the Opera Mini browser and enter Vodafone's APN settings onto the device.
    hmm now where can we find the APN settings?

I am in Asia and after taking out my Verizon SIM and putting in a local SIM, the browser disappeared.

As an aside, Verizon tells me I was mistaken. I have to pay my normal home calling & internet rates plus another $65 to get Blackberry roaming data/email (tethering doesn't work). Almost $200 a month. Does that sound right to any other Verizon customers? I thought I would just pay $65 a month + a per minute & per text rate while roaming. Ouch.
    09-08-09 03:02 AM
    The way it works is you pay $5 for the cheaper per minute and per text rate. Then you have $60 for the Global Data, which replaces either your current $30 BIS data plan or $45 BES data. So yes, it is $65 more added to your current phone bill, but you'll subtract whatever data plan you have now.

So, $170 is closer to what it should be.
    09-08-09 02:37 PM
    i currently live in south africa and was sent an unlocked blackberry and i cant find the browser icon, and im using a prepaid card in it, what is the problem?
    04-19-10 01:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD