That would royally suck because I don't trust the OTA updates (or should I say "patches"). Besides, some of us use the official release exe to update multiple phones for many users once the carrier releases the update. Those people don't always have the time or knowledge to even be trusted with the OTA update. It just makes my job harder for VZW or anyone else to withhold the full exe from the public once the release has been stamped official.
    Oh I am sure no matter what you will get an exe for installs.
    04-28-09 12:09 PM
    i use vzam.net/blackberry. has a web installer for non-dm users, and you can DL the file its self from there also.

btw, vzam = verizon wireless access manager, where you get desktop software to tether, so idk why they have device OS there...lol!
    maybe due to bba connect capabilities they host all of the firmware for bba and bba connect devices?
    The Smith Micro site it the official host for VZW's releases, the link above that I put up is the online update link they have for the Storm on that site as well. All it does is redirect you to the official RIM site where the online updater activex tool downloads (if you don't already have it), checks your vendor id on the phone and then either provides you with an update or not.
    04-28-09 12:10 PM
    The Smith Micro site it the official host for VZW's releases, the link above that I put up is the online update link they have for the Storm on that site as well. All it does is redirect you to the official RIM site where the online updater activex tool downloads (if you don't already have it), checks your vendor id on the phone and then either provides you with an update or not.
    true, but VZW hosts software on their own site. go to vzam.net/blackberry and see for yourself.
    04-28-09 12:14 PM
    true, but VZW hosts software on their own site. go to vzam.net/blackberry and see for yourself.
    That's what I said but I got ignored!
    04-28-09 12:20 PM
    That would royally suck because I don't trust the OTA updates (or should I say "patches"). Besides, some of us use the official release exe to update multiple phones for many users once the carrier releases the update. Those people don't always have the time or knowledge to even be trusted with the OTA update. It just makes my job harder for VZW or anyone else to withhold the full exe from the public once the release has been stamped official.
    JR this will roll out OTA at first for sure. I'm assuming eventually they will put out the entire exe, but when that is, is anyones guess.

Again, the build has been certified.
    04-28-09 12:22 PM
    A Scotsman!
    I knew there was something I liked about Johnny B!

notice the "Mac" in my username......
    04-28-09 12:26 PM
    JR this will roll out OTA at first for sure. I'm assuming eventually they will put out the entire exe, but when that is, is anyones guess.

Yes! Hopefully just a short wait! Thanks CX!

BTW....Is it confirmed that Wireless Upgrade (OTA) is unavailable to those on a BES??? =(
    Last edited by wademac; 04-28-09 at 12:38 PM.
    04-28-09 12:27 PM
    Yes! Hopefully just a short wait! Thanks CX!

BTW....Is it confirmed that Wireless Upgrade (OTA) is unavailable to those on a BES??? =(
    It will be available to BES via OTA first
    04-28-09 12:39 PM

CX. I thought someone said on a different post that the official will be for VZW corporate accounts only. Is that true or did I misinterpret.
    04-28-09 12:40 PM
    CX. I thought someone said on a different post that the official will be for VZW corporate accounts only. Is that true or did I misinterpret.
    Yeah, but corporate accounts could be "lines tagged as business account" or "Blackberries that are attached to BES".
    04-28-09 12:41 PM
    Yeah, but corporate accounts could be "lines tagged as business account" or "Blackberries that are attached to BES".
    So the regular individual consumer account won't get the update?
    04-28-09 12:44 PM
    I'm betting that once there's an .exe file out, it'll be put on this board as quickly as possible. My guess is it'll be very similar to when Bell got .122 and there was a delay between everyone getting it and only Bell customers.
    04-28-09 12:48 PM
    This would be an interesting question to see answered... I'm guessing it would be less work to push to BES servers, though...
    04-28-09 12:49 PM
    It's done in waves... non-business consumers are most likely not in the initial waves of people to see the update.

Kind of a BS way to do things, I can see doing the OTA update in waves (bandwidth and data backup resources hog), but put the darn exe up so that people can do it that way.
    04-28-09 12:49 PM
    It's done in waves... non-business consumers are most likely not in the initial waves of people to see the update.

Kind of a BS way to do things, I can see doing the OTA update in waves (bandwidth and data backup resources hog), but put the darn exe up so that people can do it that way.
    Whats the difference in time between waves, do you know? Dang, im jealous of BES users.
    04-28-09 12:50 PM
    It will be available to BES via OTA first
    sweet! I was thinking that being on a BES would be a liability for the OTA updates....

this is my first time on a BES with my own phone....are the BES OTA's pushed out by Verizon or am I relying on my I.T./BES manager to make this happen?
    Last edited by wademac; 04-28-09 at 12:54 PM.
    04-28-09 12:51 PM
    IS there any update on when 5.oh will be released? I started the fist 5-7 pages but...well? Now I am here.

Thanx.
    04-28-09 12:52 PM

So I should repair the hole on my screen from pushing the check for update button
    04-28-09 12:52 PM
    OTA on the handset only?!?!?!

That will take HOURS.................
    Last edited by markdental; 04-28-09 at 12:57 PM.
    04-28-09 12:53 PM
    I knew there was something I liked about Johnny B!

notice the "Mac" in my username......
    Nice!

Now lets get some official lovin'
    04-28-09 01:02 PM

There are reasons, and sometimes we dont know those reasons, but just remember there are reasons for everything

As I told olta777, OTA prob first, then an exe for dl.
    04-28-09 01:08 PM
    OTA on the handset only?!?!?!

That will take HOURS.................
    It will only dl what is needed, file wise. Lets say the exe install is 110megs. The OTA might only be 13megs, 22 megs, and it downloads as it installs. Dont worry. Its really not much longer then when using an exe
    04-28-09 01:10 PM
    Are those 9530 folks hours away Radio?
    04-28-09 01:11 PM
    It will only dl what is needed, file wise. Lets say the exe install is 110megs. The OTA might only be 13megs, 22 megs, and it downloads as it installs. Dont worry. Its really not much longer then when using an exe
    I guess this is another unclear thing to my mind....So the OTA is pretty much just patches here and there, it does not replace the whole OS? Isn't that also kind of hybridizing OS?
    04-28-09 01:13 PM
    i'd also probably prefer an exe because i'll probably end up wiping my phone completely and installing the new official directly to the phone instead of doing any type of update.
    04-28-09 01:33 PM
739 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD