View Poll Results: Insurance or no?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • GET the Insurance - $171.88 for 1 year makes sense

112 83.58%
  • DECLINE the Insurance - Roll the dice and save the $ now

22 16.42%
    I am getting the storm tonight and have 15 days to decide on getting the insurance. I just wanted to see everyones opinion on whether or not getting the insurance makes sense.

Here's my view: $5.99/month * 12 = $71.88 + $50 deductible
    Total cost: $111.88 for a new phone if lost/destroyed/etc

However assuming you don't do have a disaster with the phone in the first year (lost/destroyed/etc) all replacements hardware/software are covered under the 1-year warranty for a refurb replacement. (which I would be fine with)

My point is after 1 year if you destroy it, you can renew your contract and get an upgraded phone anyway for some sort of a discount no?

ALSO - If a wifi or next level storm comes out, the retail value of this storm has nowhere to go but down, 1 year is a LONG time in technology terms.

EDIT - Math was wrong... sorry I corrected it now
    Last edited by itznin; 02-13-09 at 11:28 AM. Reason: math was wrong!!
    02-13-09 10:23 AM
    Read the forums to find out the 5.99 a month is a small price to pay IF anything was to happen. Do I recommend insurance on a dumbphone? No way... But on a touchscreen BlackBerry? Definitley.

PS. I think you did your math wrong. It's only $121.88 with the deductable.
    02-13-09 10:31 AM
    You would be INSANE to not get the insurance. If the $5.99 is saving some money, they maybe that person should not have even considered purchasing a BB.
    02-13-09 10:33 AM
    Coming from someone who lost his phone 2 months after he bought it and did not have insurance; get the insurance lol. Nothing like having to pay full retail price for a blackberry because you just used your upgrade on the phone that you lost.

ps....I wasn't too cheap, just forgot to add it to my new service. Costly mistake.
    02-13-09 10:34 AM
    $1 of the $5.99 is for extended warranty.
    02-13-09 10:36 AM
    Alwayse get the insurance on these types of devices. However, my son has a cheap old regular cell phone -- No insurance there as I have 2 or 3 good out of service phones to replace that one if he looses/breaks it. I have no real replacement for my storm except my old loved to death BB.

I have the insurance and probably always will.
    02-13-09 10:44 AM
    insurance on a $600 phone is a good thing....don't leave home without it
    02-13-09 10:47 AM
    Insurance is a must have when you have a phone that has a value of $400.00-$500.00......
    02-13-09 10:48 AM

Here's my view: $5.99/month * 12 = $121.88 + $50 deductible
    Total cost: $171.88 for a new phone if lost/destroyed/etc

[/B]
    I think your reasoning is off, your total cost,$171.88 is assuming one lost/destroyed phone per year. You might break it the first month or week of owning it. You also might break or loose it more than once during the first year.
    You can't determine the long term cost since you don't know all the variables.
    I look at it this way, is the $5.99 extra per month worth it considering risks. The risk are huge due to the glass screen & problems that come with owning 1st generation device. I expect a number of free warranty replacements during my two years with this phone. I also expect some of those replacements will be an upgraded version of the storm.
    Last edited by fastfinger; 02-13-09 at 10:54 AM.
    02-13-09 10:52 AM
    Here's my view: $5.99/month * 12 = $121.88 + $50 deductible
    Total cost: $171.88 for a new phone if lost/destroyed/etc
    lol... Someone failed math. $5.99 * 12 = $71.88
    02-13-09 10:56 AM
    If you tend to lose your phone or drop it, sure. Otherwise, I don't think there is any point. If the HUGE majority of people who had the insurance used it, trust me, they wouldn't offer it. They make a TON of money off of these insurance policies. Your homeowner's insurance most likely covers it already anyway.
    02-13-09 10:56 AM
    I'd be crazy to pay as much for insurance on my phone as I did when I paid for it. The cost of my Storm was 199.99, 2 year upgrade and a 50.00 rebate.

So far however I've paid 36.99. I returned a Samsung phone for the Blackberry and they asked me how I wanted to pay. I said bill me. That almost 4 weeks ago.

I returned my phone after 26 days use so I already had the rebate Visa for 50.00, and in addition to that they refunded my Visa Debit Card for the 83 dollars and change I had to put out myself.

Maybe I got lost in the paperwork?
    02-13-09 11:04 AM
    Uh, yeah. This shouldn't even really be up for debate. Has anyone seen how much the phone is by itself? Unless you have a spare stashed away somewhere, the insurance is worth the money. It has already saved my storm. $50 deductible, or $500 dollar phone? Up to you. But, to me there is no option.
    02-13-09 11:06 AM
    I'd be crazy to pay as much for insurance on my phone as I did when I paid for it. The cost of my Storm was 199.99, 2 year upgrade and a 50.00 rebate.

So far however I've paid 36.99. I returned a Samsung phone for the Blackberry and they asked me how I wanted to pay. I said bill me. That almost 4 weeks ago.

I returned my phone after 26 days use so I already had the rebate Visa for 50.00, and in addition to that they refunded my Visa Debit Card for the 83 dollars and change I had to put out myself.

Maybe I got lost in the paperwork?
    Hookbill from AVS! Welcome to CB my friend.
    02-13-09 11:09 AM
    its a risk. 72/year if you dont break it.

122/year if you break it once

500/year if you break/lose your phone once without insurance. what if you lose it again? another 500.

the phone might eventually drop to $400, but im almost positive it wont be any less. (compare: curve is still $430, 8830we is still $520)
    02-13-09 11:15 AM
    i got the 4.99 insurance... dont know why anyone would get the 5.99 one...

and your math is wrong but people have pointed it out.
    02-13-09 11:16 AM
    Just curious. I declined the insurance and now regret doing so. After the 15 day period, could the insurance be added providing that they have inpected the phone (say, at a VZW store) to verify that the phone is intact?
    02-13-09 11:18 AM
    If you tend to lose your phone or drop it, sure. Otherwise, I don't think there is any point. If the HUGE majority of people who had the insurance used it, trust me, they wouldn't offer it. They make a TON of money off of these insurance policies. Your homeowner's insurance most likely covers it already anyway.
    Homeowners covering the phone?? The only way the Homeowners would cover your phone is, if something happen to your home and you're itemizing a list of valuables for an insurance claim, which would cost A LOT more then the VZW insurance.....
    02-13-09 11:22 AM
    Not to be funny, but if you even have to ask this question, you may not need a phone like this! The insurance is well worth the purchase no matter how you look at it.
    02-13-09 11:26 AM
    lol... Someone failed math. $5.99 * 12 = $71.88
    hahaha i know... I did the calculating AND added $50, but forgot that I added $50

When I looked back at the calculator I just took the $121.88 and added $50 again...

WHOOPS
    02-13-09 11:30 AM
    insurance is worth the cost my wife is a walking disaster when it comes to her BB and i have relaced several but at little cost thanks to the insurance
    02-13-09 11:31 AM
    Not to be funny, but if you even have to ask this question, you may not need a phone like this! The insurance is well worth the purchase no matter how you look at it.
    It's always worth asking others opinions if you are on the fence. As MOST people agree the extended warranty or insurance is never worth it when dealing with electronics, but in this case it might be an exception. That statement alone is justification for asking the question.
    02-13-09 11:33 AM
    Who in the **** plans on dropping their phone? Get the insurance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 11:35 AM
    I cracked the screen in my top coat pocket w/o even realizing it... thankfully I had the insurance.

Accidents happen, I think its worth the 6 bucks a month for the peace of mind.
    02-13-09 11:43 AM
    What's the deductable on your homeowners insurance??
    02-13-09 11:51 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD