View Poll Results: Insurance or no?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • GET the Insurance - $171.88 for 1 year makes sense

112 83.58%
  • DECLINE the Insurance - Roll the dice and save the $ now

22 16.42%
    adding to what i said before, i havent bothered with insurance on any of my past phones, except for like 4 months when i first got mine and the salesman suckered me and i got a little nervous since my phone would have cost like 300 something new if i broke it.

my main reason for getting it on this one is the screen. its the first of its kind, and while RIM has a reputation for building quality phones, you never know with any 1st gen gadget.
    02-13-09 11:56 AM
    Go with the 4.99/month plan.
    02-13-09 11:57 AM
    Since you can easily get water or beer or soda into the touch screen it is worth the ~$5 a month. I wuld hate to pay $500 or so for a new one. $50 I can handle with the $5-$6 monthly.

Also if the phone just starts acting up and Verizon does not want to take it back under warantee what do you do?
    Oops I droped it accidently and ran over it with my car? That might work ( with insurance).

Also just "I lost it" works as well and it becomes permanently unusable as they Blacklist it as possible stolen.

But if you really lost it or really ran over it, without the insurance you have to pay full price for a replacement $499+ for month to month. They do not give you the $199 price again inside your 2 year contract.

My son had to replace his last two phones under the insurance plan, so it is worth it.
    Last edited by bbstorm4me; 02-13-09 at 12:19 PM.
    02-13-09 12:13 PM
    Get the insurance! Like tlomp11 said. who plans on dropping your phone? as i found out last week when i dropped mine on the pavement in a parking lot and the screen was completely destroyed. made a claim the next day (saturday) and had my brand new in the original box Storm in the mail mid-day monday.
    02-13-09 12:15 PM
    Going with the insurance... Thanks guys
    02-13-09 12:19 PM
    No insurance here. Have never lost/broke a phone if my life (except for putting my Dad's cordless in the microwave to see what would happen many years ago).

If it happens this time, I'll buy a new one. Priorities are priorities, and 5 bucks a month is another six pack.
    02-13-09 12:20 PM
    also check the credit card you bought the phone on. Some of them have 1 year extra warranty over and above and some includes lost or any sort of damage including your fault damage. I've gotten a few phones replaced thsi way.
    02-13-09 12:38 PM
    also check the credit card you bought the phone on. Some of them have 1 year extra warranty over and above and some includes lost or any sort of damage including your fault damage. I've gotten a few phones replaced thsi way.
    Good point - AMEX extends an extra year of the initial warranty, so in this case my Storm has 2 years of warranty against defects.

As long as I don't lose/smash/etc the insurance would be useless..... now I'm back on the fence LOL
    02-13-09 01:58 PM
    i got the 4.99 insurance... dont know why anyone would get the 5.99 one...

and your math is wrong but people have pointed it out.
    My reasoning: That extra $1 does only extend the warranty by a year and you don't need it the first twelve months, but it's only a dollar and my past experience is, there is a good chance of a hardware improvement that second year. If the equipment fails you are more likely to get an upgraded device with no deductible.
    02-13-09 02:02 PM
    Get the insurance for sure! You only have twoo weeks to ad it on after you activate the device. GET IT!!!!!
    02-13-09 02:04 PM
    My Visa insurance has never questions how I broke it, thye only need to know that it's broken. replaced 2 phones thsi way already.
    02-13-09 03:11 PM
    My Visa insurance has never questions how I broke it, thye only need to know that it's broken. replaced 2 phones thsi way already.
    I spoke to AMEX and they basically just extend the manufacturers warranty an extra year (2 years in total instead of the standard 1).

They have accident protection but unfortunately it's only for the first 90 days and it always reimburses only what you PAID for the phone, not what it would cost you to replace the device. (This would be great for a xbox 360 or something that has a standard price not associated with a contract)

What Visa card do you have that provides that replacement service?
    02-13-09 03:39 PM
    I'd get insurance especially on the storm, one drop of mine messed up the clicking action of the screen.
    02-13-09 03:45 PM
    You should absolutely get it especially with a smartphone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 03:49 PM
    One spilled drink floods the screen according to more than one post here.

Just eat one less burrito a month to pay for it, you'll be healthier and have peace of mind.
    02-13-09 03:52 PM
    insurance thru vodafone oz was $10 p/m then $200 if you claimed. $440 over 24month contract life inc claim is definately not worth it for me.
    02-13-09 04:04 PM
    Definitely Get It!
    02-13-09 04:14 PM
    Hookbill from AVS! Welcome to CB my friend.
    Why thank you. There is only one. Thank goodness!
    02-13-09 04:17 PM
    I agree dk21. Put 200 bucks in a dresser draw. You'd be better off and if nothing happens you still have your money.
    02-13-09 04:19 PM
    Just curious. I declined the insurance and now regret doing so. After the 15 day period, could the insurance be added providing that they have inpected the phone (say, at a VZW store) to verify that the phone is intact?
    you have to get the insurance when you purchase the phone
    02-13-09 04:27 PM
    I agree dk21. Put 200 bucks in a dresser draw. You'd be better off and if nothing happens you still have your money.
    And if something does happen you have to dig up another $300 to go with the $200 in the drawer to get a new Storm. Spend the $5.99 a month and put $50 in the drawer.
    02-13-09 09:25 PM
    I spoke to AMEX and they basically just extend the manufacturers warranty an extra year (2 years in total instead of the standard 1).

They have accident protection but unfortunately it's only for the first 90 days and it always reimburses only what you PAID for the phone, not what it would cost you to replace the device. (This would be great for a xbox 360 or something that has a standard price not associated with a contract)

What Visa card do you have that provides that replacement service?
    Sorry I guess my statement was a bit misleading. Yes it only replaces purchase price but better than nothing and after about 1-2 years if you break it, I'm sure you can buy a working used one for the $$$ they give you back. It's not 100% perfect solution but better than none and you pay nothing out of pocket. AS well, take the monthly money you saved and put that on top of the $$$ they gave you and you can almost buy a new one. I have a RBC Platinum Avion Visa and I don't konw about accident replacement time limit but they just needed to confirm it was broken, never asked how. I normally break my phones just before my contracts are up so it's abot time to renew a new contract anyhow so the $$ they give me back is enough to alwasy get a new phone on contract.
    02-25-09 02:45 PM
    Worth it to me.. Especially with the design of this specific phone.
    02-25-09 03:30 PM
    insurance!!!!! its worth it even if it costs as much as the phone
    02-25-09 03:57 PM
    insurance!!!!! its worth it even if it costs as much as the phone
    Hm... yeah that makes a lot of sense...
    02-25-09 04:02 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD