I bought my storm on December 5th and added insurance yesterday by calling VZ customer service. According to the rep, the only difference between the $4.99/month and $5.99/month plans is you can go to the store and pick up your replacement with the $5.99 plan. With the $4.99 plan, the replacement is mailed to you. Seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there so I thought I would share my experience.
    02-09-09 11:01 AM
    Is there a way to add insurance after the 15 days if you can prove you still have your phone and it is working properly?
    02-09-09 11:03 AM
    I skipped it ....

I get a discounted upgrade after a year (not two).
    I also have an otterbox on it
    02-09-09 11:04 AM
    I bought my storm on December 5th and added insurance yesterday by calling VZ customer service. According to the rep, the only difference between the $4.99/month and $5.99/month plans is you can go to the store and pick up your replacement with the $5.99 plan. With the $4.99 plan, the replacement is mailed to you. Seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there so I thought I would share my experience.
    Not exactally true, the 5.99 plan adds an extented warrenty to your phone's 1 year, it makes it a 2 year. On a warrenty claim you might be able to get it at a store, or have it mailed, BUT it's only warrenty on a defect, like dust under the screen for example. You also won't have to pay the 50 deductable on a warrenty issue. On all insurance claims, that is a lost, stolen or damaged phone, you would pay 50, AND have to have it mailed, BUT it's only a 2 day wait on the mailing.
    02-09-09 11:04 AM
    Absolute NO BRAINER! Get the insurance!
    02-09-09 11:25 AM
    Can insurance be transferred? for example, I have a curve 8320 with paid insurance at time of purchase and plan on getting the 8900 in 2 days. Can i transfer said insurance to 8900?
    Last edited by coyotejones3; 02-09-09 at 12:04 PM.
    02-09-09 11:43 AM
    Not exactally true, the 5.99 plan adds an extented warrenty to your phone's 1 year, it makes it a 2 year. On a warrenty claim you might be able to get it at a store, or have it mailed, BUT it's only warrenty on a defect, like dust under the screen for example. You also won't have to pay the 50 deductable on a warrenty issue. On all insurance claims, that is a lost, stolen or damaged phone, you would pay 50, AND have to have it mailed, BUT it's only a 2 day wait on the mailing.
    I called VZ again today and you're correct. The $5.99 plan does extend the manufacturer's warranty by another 12 months. I changed my coverage to the $5.99 plan. Thanks for the clarification because the VZ CSR didn't mention it even though I specifically asked what the differences were.
    02-09-09 12:31 PM
    I bought the insurance and am glad no that my Storm was destroyed. BUT -- I've had a bit of a challenge getting them to follow up on their end of the claim. They require a signed affidavit, which presents no problem except I don't have a working printer or fax so I asked them to simply mail me the form. When the letter arrived (a little under a week later) there was no affidavit form inside. Called them back to ask "what the heck" and request another form, and it's been over a week now -- still no form. I tend to the paranoid side, so you can imagine what I am imagining they'll send me when/if they get around to sending a replacement Storm.....
    02-15-09 03:36 AM
    Yeah i would say definitely get the insurance. then verify that it is on your account.. my buddy in Michigan bought the storm and the VZW tech never asked him if he wanted insurance. he had it on his phone before so thought they would put it on. LOL nope, he dropped it in toilet and then went to get a replacement and they said. "oh you never had insurance on your storm." he was pissed and had to pay for another one in full.
    02-16-09 06:36 AM
    Yeah i would say definitely get the insurance. then verify that it is on your account.. my buddy in Michigan bought the storm and the VZW tech never asked him if he wanted insurance. he had it on his phone before so thought they would put it on. LOL nope, he dropped it in toilet and then went to get a replacement and they said. "oh you never had insurance on your storm." he was pissed and had to pay for another one in full.
    Wow...I would be unhappy as well. You should also get a letter from the insurance carrier as well.
    02-16-09 06:46 AM
    Update -- finally got the replacement Storm, and it is a brand new unit. If you're thinking about handling this via a simple phone call, forget about it -- call the insurance co. and believe it when the automated voice tells you you'll get more efficient service by handling it all on-line. I went the old fashioned route and man they were borderline inept at just about every step of the way. However, a new Storm for $50 (plus the couple of months' insurance payments) is a pretty sweet deal. To those who were upset about the new BOGO promo, remember that was $200 for two Storms...Consider that some were getting their second unit as insurance anyway: With the actual insurance plan, I got two for @ $160.
    02-23-09 01:04 AM
    I was told that my insurance from my previous contract would be grandfathered into the new one. Yet they told me I would have to go back (retailer WirelessWave) this coming June to sign something and it would be transferred over then. In the meantime I'm under a one year warranty that came with the phone. I just don't know what that covers.

I was in the day after I got it (about a browser issue) and a guy came in with his iphone. He said he went swimming with it and was told, 'without insurance, it's a thousand dollar paper weight.'
    02-23-09 02:09 AM
    I cant imagine getting a phone this expensive and not getting insurance... If you wouldnt get insurance on this phone wat phone would be worthy of paying for insurance on the Verizon line (or any really)?
    Last edited by sancho26; 02-23-09 at 04:11 AM.
    02-23-09 04:07 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD