Do you all recommend getting insurance for the Storm through the carrier? I have never had insurance on my phone. I have never had THE grand poobah of phone/organizers before either.
    02-08-09 08:50 AM
    Yes!!!!! I do advise getting the insurance. Trust me, it's a decision you will not regret.
    02-08-09 08:55 AM
    Do you all recommend getting insurance for the Storm through the carrier? I have never had insurance on my phone. I have never had THE grand poobah of phone/organizers before either.
    Yes, unless you have an extra $500 laying around to replace your phone. Also some Verizon Retailers, GoWireless, for instance, have a phone replacement program called ACE. Basically pay an extra $99 when you buy the phone, you get one claim a year then you have to renew, but you get a brand new phone when you file a claim. No deductible, no monthly payments, no refurbished crap.
    02-08-09 08:58 AM
    It's a ploy to get us all hooked on the gaming industry.

They get us to pay good money, betting that we will have our phones lost, damaged or stolen. The kicker is, that in most cases, we hope they win.Still and all, you only need to make 1 claim to make it worth while.

With a larger customer base, American customers pay much less. Here in Canada, a Storm with no contract is at least $600, depending on carrier, insurance is $7/month and replacement with insurance is $150.
    02-08-09 09:04 AM
    Yep, definitely.
    02-08-09 09:05 AM
    Get it, get it, get it. 5.99 is a small price to pay for the service and speed of a new phone. Plus if a year goes buy and it is all beat up, call it in and say you dropped it with no water damage and you get a new one w/ a battery for 5o bucks! just can't use insurance more than 3 times a year or they cut you like car insurance with a DUI.

You should look into the online contact backup on the VZW site as well! Best if you lose you phone a lot.
    02-08-09 09:09 AM
    Always a must. A small fee to pay if something happens
    02-08-09 10:39 AM
    Yep, and I'm generally not a fan of after-market insurance for electronics. But your Storm will be used and abused and even if your problems are "tolerable", you'll want the option to fix the headaches and get a like-new Storm for a nominal cost.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-09 11:10 AM
    I always carry insurance. This is my first BB and I think insurance is even more important. Especially if you are doing mods to it. If it crashes badly, you can always claim it was lost. Voila, new phone.
    02-08-09 11:28 AM
    I usually don't get insurance, but on this phone I did.
    02-08-09 11:32 AM
    Is it possible to get insurance later? Or is it only available when the contract is signed?
    02-08-09 11:45 AM
    Is it possible to get insurance later? Or is it only available when the contract is signed?
    Any time buddy. But you have to get it a few weeks before an accident may occur so you can get a new phone in a speedy fashion. Insurance frowns on fraud I guess...
    02-08-09 11:47 AM
    I have learned this lesson well over the years. I don't have the cash to blow, so for me the insurance is a must have. For someone that has the ability to toss cash into the wind, I could see where insurance would not be an issue.
    02-08-09 11:58 AM
    Any time buddy. But you have to get it a few weeks before an accident may occur so you can get a new phone in a speedy fashion. Insurance frowns on fraud I guess...
    Thanks. I looked at my online and didn't see an option for the service. I guess I have to drag myself down to the Verizon store, or <gasp> make a phone call.

Or is this insurance only available from a 3rd party vendor at this point?
    02-08-09 12:03 PM
    Funny I JUST had this conversation with a neighbor who is a licensed agent for State Farm.

Before you buy Verizon's, if you own a home check with your insurance company to see if you can add it to your Personal Articles policy - they normally don't insure phones (State Farm), but with the retail of the Storm being what it is you will/should be able to add it.

The cost will be about 20.00 per year added to your insurance and there is no deductible for personal articles.

An alternative but check with your insurance agent as all states, companies, agents do things differently.
    02-08-09 12:18 PM
    I think you have 15 to 30 days after the purchase of the phone with Verizon to get the insurance.
    02-08-09 12:31 PM
    I am typically not a fan of after market insurance deals as they are almost never in the best interest of the consumer, however in the case of the Storm I have gone with the insurance. Like several others have said, I do not want to chance putting out the full retail if something happens to this phone. Secondly, with this being Rim's first tough screen BB, none of us know for sure how these babies are going to hold up after a year or two.
    02-08-09 01:04 PM
    I think you have 15 to 30 days after the purchase of the phone with Verizon to get the insurance.
    It's 15.

10char
    02-08-09 01:12 PM
    Huh? Wow... Funny to see this happen. Over here in NL, when you have an insurance on the phone and you goto the store with your claim, 9 out of 10 times you get nothing. Most people don't look very good at the general terms and conditions appearantly. Those often state that the phone insurance will not pay out for certain types of damages. So you'd best insure for theft and then make that claim instead of a defect. Then no problem.... Over at your side of the sea that goes a bit different I guess, judging by the comments.

This is from the Vodafone Garant insurance (6 euros per month):
    (roughly translated) and is supposed to cover everything...... don't laugh... this really is very serious effing over people... that's why I am so hard on companies and people when it comes to service etc.

Vodafone isn't liable for and thus excluded the following of the insurance:

6.1 Any form of theft or damage due to or caused by:
    6.1.1 Loss of the object, missing of the object and pickpocketing
    6.1.2 Theft of the object when its left in a location that is open for the public
    6.1.3 Theft of the object from an unattended place, without there being proof of a violent entry being made to that space (like a door kicked in)
    6.1.4 theft of the equipment from an unmanned motorvehicle unless the vehicle was locked and all safety devices, alarms were turned on and all reasonable measures to prevent theft were taken when placing it in the glove compartment or boot.
    6.1.5 Theft of the device from a vehicle using a soft-top or open top or sides.
    6.1.6 Theft of the device when the SIM card isn't in the device at the moment of theft or the registerred device number and sim number do not match.

Also excluded from insurance are:
    6.2 Defects caused by not installing/connecting the device/accessoires according to the manual of that equipment.
    6.3 Maintenance, repairs and/or cleaning done by the customer and/or a company that has not been certified by the manufacturer.
    6.4 Defects that are caused by a designflaw/error, a construction, material or mallet error and/or production/assembly error of the device.
    6.5 Corrosion, oxidation, batteryleakage and any other slowly happening defect.
    6.6. Scratches or dents that do not influence the normal functioning of the device
    6.7 Experiments, intentional overloading, and/or any other use of the device than what it was intended for. This includes not maintaining the device in a proper manner.
    6.8 damages done to the device on purpose or done to the device with the okay of the owner of the device.

Up to 6.13 are included things such as damages due to riots, war, atomic explosions etc.

6.13 damage to batteries, accu's antenna's and software that is caused by using it and or slow detoriation of those.

Then of course there is still the normal warranty you have from the manufacturer itself. But when I read these terms and conditions for a full "all insured" insurance...... well.... for 6 euros per month this is just a rip off.

When you look at their normal terms and conditions which are not mentioned here.... those are so ridiculous that you almost feel forced to take an insurance. And then you get an insurance and..... you get nothing when something happens.

A lot of my co-workers and people on forums often say: yeah, I took an insurance on the phone, but this and that happened and I didn't get it repaired/replaced/refund.

There are very loose terms used in the terms and conditions too.... Like the "any form of damage that is caused by an outside event" (as in anything that can happen to the phone, be it spit in the mic part, rain, dust, shocks, static electricity etc etc etc etc). And you cannot ever proof it did or did not come from such a cause. Neither can they, but almost noone is willing to goto court over that.

They just try to scr*w you over.....

Bast&ards.....
    02-08-09 01:36 PM
    Uh oh. I got the phone from Best Buy. Does that mean I have to get any insurance from Best Buy, and not Verizon?

Or does it matter which one?
    02-08-09 01:58 PM
    As has been stated already with the high cost of replacing a Storm the $5.99 a month was not a big deal.
    02-08-09 03:39 PM
    I guess I'll join all the folks who say yes get it. If it were some other phones the math doesn't work out too good. But with a touch screen BB I think it is a wise move.

BTW the insurance is $4.99 adding another $1.00 gets you Verizon's extended warranty which when put together just about covers anything that can happen to the phone. Also you have to purchase the insurance within 15 days of getting the phone.
    02-08-09 04:08 PM
    Yes, the math works out. You can always cancel it after a year. For Verizon (Virginia at least) you must get it within 30 days of purchase. I took out the policy on the 30th day.
    02-08-09 05:03 PM
    YES! $500 phone? spending that instead of 5.99 a month is a total idiotic thing. Insurance=better
    02-08-09 05:22 PM
    You have 30 days from date of purchase with Bell Mobility and they will want to check to make sure everything is functional if you are buying insurance anytime after the time of sale.
    02-08-09 07:08 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD