having worked for verizon and playing both phones extensively i keep finding my self going back to a blackberry for my main device. the droid is very nice with a insanely quick browser but the battery is garbage and the signal is also very poor. i was in a place where i always have full service and the droid only get 1 or 2 bars and dropped calls constantly. plus the nice thing about the blackberry is when you want to access your main screen all you have to do is push a button or tap on the screen to turn ur device on from sleep mode. on the droid you have to push a little button on the top of the phone which will become annoying very fast. i just sold my incredible for a nice profit and am getting another storm 2
    05-23-10 06:46 PM
    Wow,

There are some great opinions here. I'll respond to Mr. Orange with a question. Why should I go to the Android site to ask Blackberry users their opinion on the Storm2? I've never owned an Android device, and though I've been tempted, probably won't anytime soon. However, they do perform. My lady still loves her G1 after a year and a half with good reason. My brother and a good friend both left BB for the Droid and they take every opportunity to convince me to try it out. But, I'm still a BB user, and this is where I prefer to discuss my Blackberry issues.

Anyway, I was really impressed with the Incredible. All the comments about its battery life, however, have convinced me to avoid it. I'm not seriously interested in all the apps, bells and whistles, either. The options available for my Storm2 generally satisfy me. Its the Storm2's hardware that fails. What I'm looking forward to, at this point, is a Bold. Communication is everything. I miss the trackball/trackpad. I miss knowing my finger is on the button I'm going to press. I miss knowing when I press the button, a character appears on the screen when I press it. And I especially miss knowing my device is going to last a full day. Whatever new and exciting developments are in the Storm's future, I'm not so much interested anymore. It would be a great relief to finally see a Blackberry delivered to Verizon that is the real deal. Jeez, we knew the Tour was obsolete before the first complaint about its trackball was discussed. (No offense Tour fans.) RIM keeps dishing out all these phones and yet, its still impossible as a Verizon customer to find the top-shelf Blackberry experience I've been paying for over the past couple of years. Its frustrating to no end.
    Last edited by deke09; 05-23-10 at 11:56 PM.
    05-23-10 11:03 PM
    I was on the incredible and came back to BB. The internet was incredibly fast and there were SO many toy's (apps) to download and play with that were FREE! But the battery life and typing performance was so inferior to my Storm that I could not take it anymore. I'm so happy to be back on BB.
    The typing performance? Are you kidding me? The Storm has some of the worst typing lag I've ever seen.
    05-24-10 07:20 AM
    The typing performance? Are you kidding me? The Storm has some of the worst typing lag I've ever seen.
    what OS you on? i can type far better on my storm running 607 ro 517 than i can after a month with my incredible. the suretype keyboard is amazingly fast on the storm for me
    05-24-10 07:34 AM
    i can type far better on my storm running 607 ro 517 than i can after a month with my incredible. the suretype keyboard is amazingly fast on the storm for me
    i totally agree if you are talking about the stock keyboard on the incredible...but swype takes text input on the Incredible to a whole new level. I am much faster on swype than i ever was on my S2. especially one handed.
    05-24-10 12:40 PM
    Let me help you sir If I may offer my opinion, The Incredible is a horrible device. I said it and I am being 100% honest. Yes it has many apps and a large touch screen and Navigation, but my experience with the phone over the 2-weeks I had it were not so "incredible".

-the Touch screen can become unresponsive (will not register touch)
    -The Batter life was not incredible just passable (not getting a day with any real use)
    -G-mail integration is nice and the widgets are "cute" but I want immediate delivery of all my e-mail and some of the widgets defeat the purpose of haveing all the screens when one of them can take an entire screen (Useless)
    -The big one for me, and I can honestly say that this rarely happens to me on my Storm 2 (which broke from a fall, which is the whole reason I had the incredible), The incredible crashes constantly, 3rd party app and the apps provided through HTC and Google, to include the big selling point the Sense UI.
    - heres one that many don't talk about: Lok at an incredible screen while outside with even a hint of sun and tell me if you are able to function. I very rarely (if ever) have had to cover my BBS2 just to read it.

My advice (my opinion): STAY AWAY FROM THE INCREDIBLE!

I love my BBS2 doesn't do all things great, but it functions as it should and does all things well enough. Tried the Verizon top three (Droid, Droid Eris, Droid Incredible) I was convinced after the Droid Eris, but now I am convicted that RIM know what they are doing.
    05-24-10 01:04 PM
    Let me help you sir If I may offer my opinion, The Incredible is a horrible device. I said it and I am being 100% honest. Yes it has many apps and a large touch screen and Navigation, but my experience with the phone over the 2-weeks I had it were not so "incredible".

-the Touch screen can become unresponsive (will not register touch)
    -The Batter life was not incredible just passable (not getting a day with any real use)
    -G-mail integration is nice and the widgets are "cute" but I want immediate delivery of all my e-mail and some of the widgets defeat the purpose of haveing all the screens when one of them can take an entire screen (Useless)
    -The big one for me, and I can honestly say that this rarely happens to me on my Storm 2 (which broke from a fall, which is the whole reason I had the incredible), The incredible crashes constantly, 3rd party app and the apps provided through HTC and Google, to include the big selling point the Sense UI.
    - heres one that many don't talk about: Lok at an incredible screen while outside with even a hint of sun and tell me if you are able to function. I very rarely (if ever) have had to cover my BBS2 just to read it.

My advice (my opinion): STAY AWAY FROM THE INCREDIBLE!

I love my BBS2 doesn't do all things great, but it functions as it should and does all things well enough. Tried the Verizon top three (Droid, Droid Eris, Droid Incredible) I was convinced after the Droid Eris, but now I am convicted that RIM know what they are doing.
    no offense but i think something is wrong with your phone or you are using ATK. Mine never has issues like that
    05-24-10 02:46 PM
    There are a few people at Android Central with EVOs and they say battery life is worse than the Hero's. While these devices are powerful, battery should still be able to keep up.
    05-24-10 02:53 PM
    My buddy has this phone and it has worse battery life than my old droid. There is a constant debate in the android world about the use of task killers and with the incredible, it seems to not make a difference because of so many apps constantly running.

I had problems with force closing apps and 2.1 bugs, but this phone is definately a more advanced life, but there are reports of the screens timing out and staying out until the power button is pressed.

I'm sure when 2.2 comes around, android will cut into the apple market share and do think that HTC makes a better phone in terms of hardware than motorola did with the droid.

I could go on about this, but check out the android forums for more info. The phone is phenomenal and the overall experience is an entirely new and open world which after 4 days of BB I miss in different ways.

This is just my $0.02.
    05-24-10 09:36 PM
    Its funny, I see how people defend their different operating systems to the end. I had the incredible for over a month and luckily was able to get back to a curve through some maneuvering with my brother (ended up taking his curve and he took my incredible, I get his update in October).

The reason behind my switch is purely battery related. I woke up one day for school, checked espn.com, made a phone call to make sure another teacher brought in a lesson plan, and checked a two new emails. I then looked at the battery life. It was at 81% already! There was not one day where I got through the entire day without putting it on the charger at least once. Compare to this with a solid day and half use on the curve, and it was a no brainier. Combine the battery life with some problems with the 3g network and it was time to back. I guess you can throw in the better email and bbm as a reason to go back.

I will miss the GPS and the tons and tons of free apps. I can get over that. However, the browser will be the one thing that I will miss the most, it was nice to be able to get to every website imaginable. With the upgrade in my back pocket, I can wait and see what comes out from blackberry over the summer (hopefully something on LTE) or even (shudder) the iphone.
    05-24-10 09:59 PM
    I've been a Blackberry user years now. I've promoted them. I've defended them. And I'd rather not think of how much money I've spent on them. After all of it, I am currently a Storm2 user. Its a phone that finds a way to annoy me every way possible. Battery life sucks. Navigating text sucks. The surepress screen clicks with a mind of its own. For all the hype, the screen (as pretty as it is) sucks. The browser sucks.

I cannot take this phone seriously anymore.
    Amen. Apart from the spending money on RIM part... All my handsets are obtained through a free upgrade.

The Storm2 has sort of turned me against owning another BlackBerry I have returned it about 4 maybe 5 times... and in the last return I ended up being sent another reburbished handset, which was obviously a fault of the carrier, so I now own two Storm2. I will most definitely sell the second one, but sometimes I feel like I should just sell both and be done with it.

In my opinion
    - the battery life is crap, does not get me through a whole day, luckily I work at a desk with a PC so I can up the charge now and then.

- Like deke09 said, the surepress screen is a piece of useless junk! typing lag, screen freezes and the major major fault.. screen lock up, where I am unable to disconnect calls!

- and don't get me started as to why auto keylock is now disabled. and NO I do not want to pay a couple of dollars/pounds for a lock app to do such a simple useful feature that should come standard!

- copy and paste! totally useless!

I don't know anything about the incredible but my sister and colleague has just gotten a HTC Desire and playibg on that thing makes me realise what I am missing out on. However I keep reading reviews that say the battery life is a let down. I'm yet to hear her verdict on real word usage.

Then there is Froyo and iPhone 4, need I say more.
    Last edited by The Gift; 05-25-10 at 06:24 AM.
    05-25-10 06:13 AM
    ^^ user error...
    05-25-10 06:40 AM
    ^^ user error...

Err...no, not user error. This is my 3rd Blackberry and fourth, maybe fifth Storm2 since launch, I think that by now I should be able to work my way around a BB pretty confidently.

I am just not naive enough to fool myself into thinking something works flawlessly when it clearly doesn't.

If the phones perfect for you guys, then good for you. But the OP wanted OPINIONS on why he should stay with the Storm2, I'd like to think I am helping by adding my experience with said phone.

It's really no skin off my nose whether he takes heed or not...
    Last edited by The Gift; 05-25-10 at 08:56 AM.
    05-25-10 08:52 AM
    i gave him a list above already

but the surepress is just fine, i can type much fast on my storm 2 than my INC, its not even close.

i can also stretch my battery on the storm 2 36 hours atleast, and barely can get my INC to last 24-36 hours like i stated above. Anyone using the battery life to support the INC, or the EVO is a fool. BB will last longer for sure. No way around it really, most poeple admit the battery life on them is a joke.
    05-25-10 09:40 AM
    Its really easy to give the S2 good marks because it is capable of good things. My Storm2 is definitely not worthless. It does what its supposed to do like any other Blackberry.

Factor this:

I ditched my Curve 8320 and very reasonably priced contract with T-Mobile to purchase the Storm1 with Verizon. The amount of cash I spent that day was completely unjustified, but I had the room to go for it, and I thought it was going to change my life. Haa!

Since that day, my eternal hope and I have had a plan with Verizon that sucks up $130 of my budget a month. And, 11 months later I was at the Verizon store to purchase a Storm2 thinking, again, it was going to change my life.

The way I figure it, I've spent over $2800 since the day I joined Verizon on my Storms. They may have offered me some features that my T-Mobile Curve didn't have, but NO Storm, 1 or 2, has ever matched the Curve's ability to communicate efficiently.

Like I said, my S2 isn't worthless. I like what it does. I just hate communicating on it. When I press a button I experience "lag." When I click the screen I never know what character will end up in the text box. (Seems worse after Verizon's OS update to .607. The keyboard was better before the update. I thought I'd get used to it, but now it really just sucks.) Now it decides all by itself to leave the conversation while I'm typing. I still can't figure out what my figure is doing to cause this, so I wonder if the phone just closes the conversation box by itself for whatever reason. Interruptions of this type are completely unacceptable. Sometimes, I'll press the back button, and the screen will double or triple click itself right out of the program or app. Sometimes I wonder if its based on the temperature cuz the screen seems so much looser when its hot outside. Anyway, the screen has stupid unpredictability.

All the general appeal of the Storm series has been replaced with impatience and frustration, and I have to question why I invest so much money in it. Yet, I'm still waiting for Verizon & RIM to deliver something to me that will make me shut up. I just want to love my Blackberry again.
    Last edited by deke09; 05-25-10 at 10:24 AM.
    05-25-10 10:03 AM
    Or...instead of expecting a device to change your life, try this. Set your sights low and you will never be disappointed.

It makes for a happy life, lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-10 10:16 AM
    The thought has occurred to me.
    05-25-10 10:27 AM
    Are you hitting the call end key when you try to hit the enter key?

05-25-10 02:33 PM
    Deke09 said it well. I too am a Blackberry fan and although I must stay with Blackberry due to work, I've been a fan but this is one screwed up device. I've been through about 5 that have failed for various reasons. Upgraded to each leaked version and the latest release hoping they would figure out how to program the monster they built. Each replacement has had a different feel to the keyboard and it's own set of wierd problems. The worst is typing. As a business device it's an embarassment to send emails from this device. I can't trust a thing I write. Typing is just a disaster and as the OP mentioned the screen has a mind of it's own. I'm sure I have some fault but it can't always be me and I never had a problem with other Blackberry's. It lags terribly at times, changes from letters to numbers randomly, changes words I know I typed correctly and randomly deletes text. This is my 4th model of Blackberry so I tend to understand how they work but this is just a lemon. I don't mean to offend any Storm 2 lovers but there are days I would love to throw this thing as far as i can.
    Sorry for the vent but I had such high hopes for the S2 and now I'm stuck for another year and a half with this thing.
    My friend just got the increadible and the name is quite appropriate. We tested it's email and it was seemless though his exchange server.
    Maybe you just have bad luck because I'm still on my 1st S2 and haven't had any of the problems you speak of. If you're making mistakes typing then it's your own fault. The keys light up before you type them so if you type the wrong character its because you didn't look. You can also proofread .
    05-25-10 02:48 PM
    He may not have popup keys enabled for all we know.

05-25-10 02:50 PM
    Are you hitting the call end key when you try to hit the enter key?

No. The Blackberry menu buttons are on the left side when I type in landscape mode. Sometimes I may hit the back button when I mean to hit the "A" or "!?123" button, but there's more to it. First off, this only started happening after I installed Verizon's OS .607. Secondly, sometimes it happens when I'm not typing over there, and that's the strange problem. I can't figure out why. I'll retrace my steps, get confused, shake my head and move on.

Sometimes, I think back to one of the first Storm1 commercials. There's some guy typing on the Storm (simulated, of course) and the voiceover is saying "it feels so...right." Well, bah. I'm a pretty coordinated typist. My fingers acclimate quickly and remember where to go. But, with the Storms, it doesn't happen for me. Those of you who use the settings that pop up correct words and spelling while you type, that's cool. But I prefer to turn them off because it slows me down. A quick spell check at the end is fine for me. But when I need to insert text, or rearrange a sentence, it gets ridiculous. Positioning the prompt is a nightmare. It hardly ever lands in an empty space when I need it to. It jumps up to different lines of text when I'm convinced I'm not swiping vertically. If the Storm had a trackpad my life would be so much easier. But, oh, great. Att is going to get a Storm with a trackpad and full physical QUERTY. Go figure.

Grumble, grumble...
    05-25-10 05:38 PM
    No. The Blackberry menu buttons are on the left side when I type in landscape mode. Sometimes I may hit the back button when I mean to hit the "A" or "!?123" button, but there's more to it. First off, this only started happening after I installed Verizon's OS .607. Secondly, sometimes it happens when I'm not typing over there, and that's the strange problem. I can't figure out why. I'll retrace my steps, get confused, shake my head and move on.

Sometimes, I think back to one of the first Storm1 commercials. There's some guy typing on the Storm (simulated, of course) and the voiceover is saying "it feels so...right." Well, bah. I'm a pretty coordinated typist. My fingers acclimate quickly and remember where to go. But, with the Storms, it doesn't happen for me. Those of you who use the settings that pop up correct words and spelling while you type, that's cool. But I prefer to turn them off because it slows me down. A quick spell check at the end is fine for me. But when I need to insert text, or rearrange a sentence, it gets ridiculous. Positioning the prompt is a nightmare. It hardly ever lands in an empty space when I need it to. It jumps up to different lines of text when I'm convinced I'm not swiping vertically. If the Storm had a trackpad my life would be so much easier. But, oh, great. Att is going to get a Storm with a trackpad and full physical QUERTY. Go figure.

Grumble, grumble...
    ATT is not getting a Surepress Storm3 - it's the slider. Maybe that will work better for you.

You know there are 3 settings in Screen/Keyboard Options - Tap, Hover, and Swipe. You can try experimenting with those if you are having trouble cutting and pasting. Also, use your left/right thumb on the corresponding side of the screen. Definitely not as accurate when, for instance, your right thumb is trying to reach for the "S" key.

The best advice someone gave me on these forums was to just trust it and type fast. That definitely helped me out.

Hope that can help you with your S2 troubles. No more grumbling!
    05-26-10 12:30 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD