Hi everyone. Just gotmy Storm a few days ago. It's probably the best thing that has ever happened to me. Sorry to my fiance C if you're reading this. I just had a couple of dumb newbie questions. I have OS version .75 and I was wondering if there were any significant benefits to upgrading the OS at this point or should I just acclamate to the phone before I start messing with things? Are the higher ending numbers the newer version OS's? Are there any cool apps or programs that you guys would suggest? Also, I was wondering why every phone I see on the internet has a lightning background and I just have the red verizon backing. I can see it is the selected theme but it doesn't actually show on my phone. Is this a bug? Thanks for any help. -RJ
    02-13-09 11:54 AM
    Welcome RJ!

The updating of the OS is something you might want to read a bit before you undertake it. There are a lot of "how to" posts here on Crackberry. If you'd be comfortable with reinstalling an OS on your computer, you'd probably be ok with trying it on your Storm. The biggest mistake people seem to make it not waiting until it's done. Once the OS is installed the phone reboots which can take 15 or 20 minutes. JUST LET IT GO AND WAIT. Unplugging it during that process can be fatal.

I would suggest going with the most recent leak, .103. You will notice a big speed improvement over .75.

My favorite app is Weatherbug. You can find it in the OTA Apps thread that is stickied.

I can't quite say that my Storm is the best thing that has even happened to me, it is hands down the best PDA/phone I have ever owned.
    02-13-09 12:13 PM
    Welcome RJ!

The updating of the OS is something you might want to read a bit before you undertake it. There are a lot of "how to" posts here on Crackberry. If you'd be comfortable with reinstalling an OS on your computer, you'd probably be ok with trying it on your Storm. The biggest mistake people seem to make it not waiting until it's done. Once the OS is installed the phone reboots which can take 15 or 20 minutes. JUST LET IT GO AND WAIT. Unplugging it during that process can be fatal.

I would suggest going with the most recent leak, .103. You will notice a big speed improvement over .75.

My favorite app is Weatherbug. You can find it in the OTA Apps thread that is stickied.

I can't quite say that my Storm is the best thing that has even happened to me, it is hands down the best PDA/phone I have ever owned.
    +1, Well stated. I echo what the Capt has said. Definitely visit the How-To section and the Stickys on downloading leaked OSs, etc. Welcome to CB. you'll find all of the info and help you need right here. Just do some searching first-most if not all of your answers are already posted somewhere within this site. There is a sub-forum on 3rd party Apps that contains a wealth of info as well.
    02-13-09 12:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD