Let me start off by saying that I just exchanged for a 2nd Storm, my first one wouldn't go a day without having to do a battery pull, so I figured I'm within my 30 days (today is the last day) and thought I'd just trade in for a new one which I did yesterday. I figured out this morning that a part of the screen doesn't click properly, though it seems to be running stable running version .76 (out of the box)... my other one came with.75 (or so I thought)...

Sooo which leads me to the question... do I trade in for a Curve (and get $200 back)..... oooorrrrr stay in the game.
    01-16-09 02:42 PM
    Let me start off by saying that I just exchanged for a 2nd Storm, my first one wouldn't go a day without having to do a battery pull, so I figured I'm within my 30 days (today is the last day) and thought I'd just trade in for a new one which I did yesterday. I figured out this morning that a part of the screen doesn't click properly, though it seems to be running stable running version .76 (out of the box)... my other one came with.75 (or so I thought)...

Sooo which leads me to the question... do I trade in for a Curve (and get $200 back)..... oooorrrrr stay in the game.
    The screw trick seems to work well for that issue. The question you have to ask yourself is if you are happy with the potential you see in the device. Minor flaws such as that will be replaced by Verizon even beyond the initial 30 day period. It is a manufacturer's defect and falls under the 1 year warranty. If you enjoy the advantages of using a storm more than you dislike its disadvantages, then keep it.
    01-16-09 02:44 PM
    Hey, good luck with the Curve!
    01-16-09 02:47 PM
    keep it! just do the torx screw fix and/or electrical tape/business card trick. I actually have the trifecta going. I did the screw fix (that fixed the bottom part of the screen), I added 2 strips of electrical tape to the battery door above the sim card (that helps to give the actual screen button some stability), and I've also put a folded up post-it on top of the battery (that seems to make the click much more uniform and quiet throughout the whole device).
    01-16-09 02:49 PM
    The Curve is a good device - just stay away from the sprint one w/ PTT - it's on the Nextel network and the data is SUPER SLOW.
    01-16-09 02:51 PM
    keep it! just do the torx screw fix and/or electrical tape/business card trick. I actually have the trifecta going. I did the screw fix (that fixed the bottom part of the screen), I added 2 strips of electrical tape to the battery door above the sim card (that helps to give the actual screen button some stability), and I've also put a folded up post-it on top of the battery (that seems to make the click much more uniform and quiet throughout the whole device).
    I don't know about the OP, but that would NOT make me want to keep the device...lol. To have to do all that just to make the device work the way it SHOULD out of the box is disheartening.
    01-16-09 02:53 PM
    While its quite inconvenient to say the least, its the potential of this device that makes me live with all these fixes I had to make. First all I did was the torx fix, and it worked great. Then I said to myself, can I get this device to work even better? So by trial and error, I came up with these other two fixes. They aren't necessary, but definitely make the device feel smoother.
    01-16-09 02:59 PM
    Tape? Screws? Post-it notes? This is nuts. Remember this device needs to last you till your next trade. I wouldn't put up with it!

Chaz

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 03:02 PM

I just did exactly what your thinking of. I couldn't stand having to do these etty fixes to get the hardware to work. I needed a stable messaging device. The curve fit that bill.
    01-16-09 03:06 PM
    I doubt any of this would damage the device, I'm not too worried. After this device gets broken in a bit, I plan on removing the tape and paper to see how it works. My last storm (returned because end key was falling off) seemed to get better with time.
    01-16-09 03:07 PM
    If I only gotta tighten a torx screw then I wont even go exchange it.... I'll try that thanks
    01-16-09 03:24 PM
    If your screen wont click on the lower areas, then loosen each screw only about 1/4 of a turn, then test the screen out again. Only do 1/4 turns at a time. Once you get the screen to click to your liking, then your all set.
    01-16-09 03:26 PM
    You would actually have to loosen it. It is documented better here:

BlackBerry Storm Wiki: Screen Click Problem Fixed
    01-16-09 03:26 PM
    BLASPHEMY!!! LOL
    01-16-09 03:48 PM
    The Curve is a great device. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. It's a downgrade in my eyes (and in most people's eyes) though so a move I would never make.
    01-16-09 06:07 PM
    BLASPHEMY!!! LOL
    Amen Sister,

to the OP;

if for some reason you can not find it in yourself to keep the Storm, a Curve is a great device (I had one before the Storm hit) and you'd more than likely be happy with it. However, try the screw fix for the screen, it has helped a lot of other users. Remember that each person might like the screen to be a little different. It would have been nice to have this adjustablity built in and instructions added on this.
    01-16-09 06:14 PM
    I have both devices running on VZW. Obviously I had the Curve much longer than the Storm but have had that since it came out. There is nothing that I do not like about the Curve. Its fast works great and easy to type on if your a power user like myself. The storm on the otherhand is a good all around device meaning it performs better when surfing the web and movies look much much better. I did perform the screw fix for the screen and now my storm performs like a charm. I still think RIM needs to tweak the software still (and they will) but overall I really like the device. If you can wait for all the glitches to be fixed in the storm I say stick with it. If you want a great device with excellent versatility then the Curve will not let you down. Good Luck with your choice!
    01-18-09 02:25 PM
    I made the switch. I miss my Storm at times, but I'm glad that I did it. I came from a Pearl to the Storm, and now I have the Curve. I really miss the web browsing and overall cool factor of the Storm, but I'm happy to have a device that works. I don't have to worry about random restarts and click problems, and I can pound out e-mails/texts/IMs like no tomorrow.
    01-18-09 03:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD