As we all know, a new update will be available to us either today or tomorrow. I'm not sure which day, and I really don't care either. When it's available, it's available.... but that's neither here nor there.
    Keeping that in mind, and knowing that the S2 release is just around the corner, to me this release marks the beginning of the end. It's kind of depressing really, knowing that this update will in all likelihood be the last glimmer of support or hope for this device that any of us will ever see again. Some might argue that this poor device should be put out of its misery while there's still time, and many of you are justified in that way of thinking. However, a lot of the problems many of you experienced with the S1 are pure PEBCAK, plain and simple. But a lot of us actually have our original devices and have had no problems with them. I'm one of those people. Mine has been pretty much bulletproof. I've actually gone out of my way, to no avail, to see just how far I can push this thing before it is no longer retrievable. So, my prediction for what is going to happen next lies in 2 possible scenarios:
    1) Once this update is released, we will never see another leak again. To me this is the sadder of the 2. I'm going to miss being up late at night seeing how badly I can screw this phone up (intentionally of course).
    2) Once this update is released, we will see a few more leaks, but they will be in rapid succession and it will fizzle out pretty quickly. My thoughts on this scenario are.... (from a testers standpoint) "The latest and most likely the lsat update ever for the S1 is out there, so why not just throw this one out there? It can't hurt anything at this point." I'm still on the fence about this one.
    Either way I'm looking at this update as RIM basically giving up, as they probably should, to further their support for the S2. Let's face it, it has to happen sometime, but I didnt think it would be this quickly after release. Just under a year, and this device is, for all intents and purposses, dead.
    So, I guess this is pretty much it. The sad end of an era for a device with so much promise. It really does have the potential to be so much more that it ended up being. If only it was released a year ago in its present form.... Who knows what might have been?
    10-25-09 11:37 AM
    but it seems like RIM supports there older phones longer than you'd think
    10-25-09 11:40 AM
    Isn't this a rant or rave.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-09 11:43 AM
    Not to start anything about iPhones vs BlackBerries, but Apple updates the OS for their older iPhones as well as the new ones when they do OS updates (as long as the features work with the old hardware). What proof do you have that RIM won't do the same for S1 when they update S2's OS in the future? They recently updated the Pearl and Curve OS', even though there are newer versions of each of those devices.

No need to be so pessimistic about it.
    10-25-09 11:44 AM
    While I see your point, I think the device will continue to see love with leaks and updates for a while, because they know many people love the SurePress technology, and they want to get it to its peak performance, since they have been unable to do this so far. Eventually the leaks will fizzle out, like they do for other devices, but look at the love that the 8330 got, when it has been out for quite some time, then boom, a 5.0 leak for those users!

I see where your coming from, and it will sort of be the end of the era for some, but the beginning of something new for many!
    10-25-09 11:44 AM
    Those are my thoughts exactly... With the upgrade of the operating system of even some of the older phones, I think it will continue.. I am sure we may not see too many of them as hopefully this update is going to put the phone close to perfection, give or take a few minor gliches maybe, but I am sure they will continue to make this phone a better device, being that they know it was pretty much a disaster from the get go. It would just be nice to have a phone that works properly out of the box without having to make any upgrades or changes. Especially being that most of us know how long it takes Verizon to finally release something... When I installed .148 back in May, that satisfied me for maybe a day or two, so lets all hope this one will be much better
    10-25-09 11:45 AM
    but it seems like RIM supports there older phones longer than you'd think
    +1...the curve is like 50 years old...and they have continually updated it.

not to fear sir, were are not screwed yet.
    10-25-09 11:45 AM
    I for one am not planning on jumping ship to the S2. To me, the S2 has a few hardware updates and more memory, but it is basically the same phone.......

Another year or so, and we'll see a real successor. This phone needs more processing power and a better designed OS. As much as I like my phone, it is no where near the smoothness of an IPhone! I don't want an IPhone, but I'd like my touchscreen device to act like one......such as fast and smooth application opening and functionality........more attractive user interface.............no need to Pull the Battery to regain smoothness and functionality.
    10-25-09 11:50 AM
    They DO still support their older BB's, but here's my question, what else more would you like to see in the OS? Now that it's @ the 5.0 stage it's darn near perfect at least mine is. Only reason I would switch to the new is for the memory and probably the screen too, but currently this thing does more than I ever expected Yes, I could probably find and pick out bugs here and there, but to the everyday user these aren't that big of a deal, unless it's something major. About 80% of the flaws that others find out here, I would have never known about because most are so small
    10-25-09 11:52 AM
    i think they will continue to update it just like the curve. the leaks will probably be fewer and farther between but they will continue
    10-25-09 11:53 AM
    The pearl is even getting OS updates and that device is like the lions of the NFL.......pointless

10-25-09 11:55 AM
    i dont know... i just dont see it. sure theyll continue to offer support for it in the form of resolving problems or with workarounds (reacharounds?).... but anything major? it isnt going to happen. this device is being replaced, meaning it will no longer be current. lets face it, as of tomorrow, your S1 will be as good as its ever going to be.
    10-25-09 12:00 PM
    i dont know... i just dont see it. sure theyll continue to offer support for it in the form of resolving problems or with workarounds (reacharounds?).... but anything major? it isnt going to happen. this device is being replaced, meaning it will no longer be current. lets face it, as of tomorrow, your S1 will be as good as its ever going to be.
    The pearl was replaced, the curve was replaced, etc and they still continue to get updates and such, how do you explain that?
    10-25-09 12:01 PM
    The whole point of the OS 5.0 branch is to consolidate updates for all devices. That way, they only need to code 1 application package. The only thing that changes between devices is the SFI.

I can tell you, we are far from done with updates to the S1.

Personally, I feel that RIM should simply give up carrier acceptance testing and release their updates on their websites. Carriers could approve a particular OS, but dis-approval wouldn't stop RIM from posting it on their website. I think it would be a win-win for everyone.
    10-25-09 12:03 PM
    simple... the curve(excluding the 8330) and the pearl, while still getting the occasional updates, arent really getting anything meaningful. of the devices you just mentioned, only the 8330 is capable of supporting a 5.0 release. really soon i think youll see the others come to the end of their life cycle as well. also, the curve and pearl were available to a wider audience, so their life cycle may run a little longer.
    10-25-09 12:12 PM
    The whole point of the OS 5.0 branch is to consolidate updates for all devices. That way, they only need to code 1 application package. The only thing that changes between devices is the SFI.

I can tell you, we are far from done with updates to the S1.

Personally, I feel that RIM should simply give up carrier acceptance testing and release their updates on their websites. Carriers could approve a particular OS, but dis-approval wouldn't stop RIM from posting it on their website. I think it would be a win-win for everyone.
    ive often wondered about why they dont post their OSs on their own site as well. could have something to do with branding.
    10-25-09 12:13 PM
    simple... the curve(excluding the 8330) and the pearl, while still getting the occasional updates, arent really getting anything meaningful. of the devices you just mentioned, only the 8330 is capable of supporting a 5.0 release. really soon i think youll see the others come to the end of their life cycle as well. also, the curve and pearl were available to a wider audience, so their life cycle may run a little longer.
    The reason the others aren't getting 5.0 is because of hardware limitations.

The original Storm will indeed continue to get upgrades, if for no other reason than that some owners are tied into 3 year contracts (e.g. pretty much all Storm owners in Canada), meaning that RIM will have to continue supporting it for the next two years at the very least.

The rationale you are using is not rational at all. But you may think whatever you like. If you think that support is coming to an end, then so be it. The rest of us can respectfully disagree. In the end, only time will tell.
    10-25-09 12:23 PM
    Not to start anything about iPhones vs BlackBerries, but Apple updates the OS for their older iPhones as well as the new ones when they do OS updates (as long as the features work with the old hardware). What proof do you have that RIM won't do the same for S1 when they update S2's OS in the future? They recently updated the Pearl and Curve OS', even though there are newer versions of each of those devices.

No need to be so pessimistic about it.
    you officially lose crackberry points paul...you gotta make em up somehow dude... iphones dont belong here..theyre mere existance here should be left to die...
    10-25-09 12:28 PM
    I just dont understand people when they say RIM is not going to support the storm1 anymore. HAVE THEY EVER STOPPED SUPPORTING A NEWER DEVICE? NOPE!!!! And im sure they wont start with this one. They will continue to update the storm1 just like they have all along with all there berries. Now its going to be up to verizon to approve the OS but we will still see leaks for the storm1.
    10-25-09 12:54 PM
    I just dont understand people when they say RIM is not going to support the storm1 anymore. HAVE THEY EVER STOPPED SUPPORTING A NEWER DEVICE? NOPE!!!! And im sure they wont start with this one. They will continue to update the storm1 just like they have all along with all there berries. Now its going to be up to verizon to approve the OS but we will still see leaks for the storm1.
    +1

When I read the OP I just started laughing. Amazing how people can take a good thing happening and see nothing but gloom.
    10-25-09 12:58 PM
    Just FYI, the reason only 8330+ Phones are going to support 5.x and nothing under that is because of memory. I would think everyone would have realized that 64MB of memory wasn't going to be enough to support 5.x. Heck, it wasn't enough to support 4.5 in some cases.

Memory availability is currently the #1 "Bite RIM in the A55" issue in my book. I'm sure we'll see similar issues when 5.5 or 6.x comes out when nothing under 128MB of memory will support those OSs, or even possibly nothing under 256MB.... who knows. One thing is sure, the more RIM progresses in the OS side of things, the more the memory constraints will be evident.

As for the S1 no longer getting any other updates... I doubt that. Even .328 will have it's issues and I'm willing to bet that the release after the primary 5.x release that Verizon releases will once again be an OTA update to fix the minor glitches in .328. When you look at all things equaly and sit back for a bit and think, the S2 is not really that much different from the S1. Think of it more along the lines of S1+ (Plus) rather then really an S2. I think it's safe to say the S1 will continue to be supported OS wise for at least another year.
    10-25-09 01:15 PM
    Killjoy!!!!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A killjoy is a person who is anti-fun, or prevents others from having fun.
    10-25-09 01:18 PM
    the op's logic is seriously flawed. for one the bold and tour also have a second iteration being released. also consider a storm 3 is probably in the works. guess that means storm 2 owners and og bold and tour owners will be sol too...

how much more can they do with os 5 anyway? until rim does a significant redesign of their os all bb devices are pretty much the same, aside from hardware and form factor. when (if???) that redesign happens, that's when we may see eol support for a newer os with ALL of the current devices. see how the 8800 got treated for reference.
    10-25-09 01:23 PM
    Isn't the s1 and s2 essentially the same? The OS they develop for the S2 can be used for the s1 just minus a few features, most notably wifi.

10-25-09 02:20 PM
    well even if theres no more updates for my storm i think my 5.0.0.323 is an amazing phone and finally works like i thought it would long ago so why complain we have a gucci phone people !!!!!!

how much better do we need it?

would u like it to wipe your A55?
    Last edited by Moag; 10-25-09 at 02:35 PM.
    10-25-09 02:21 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD