From reading different things here on CB, I am to believe that I'd be able to buy a Storm from Verizon, unlock it and be able to use it on AT&T? Minus 3g of course (which I don't want anyway). Am I way off base here? I tried searching for an answer, but couldn't come up with anything definitive. I know Verizon is CDMA, but doesn't the storm also have GSM for "international" use? Someone please help! And please don't flame me. I know it probably sounds like a stupid quesiton, but I'm just starting with the BB thing, and I've never had an unlocked phone of any sort, so I'm just not sure how it works.
    11-09-08 10:39 AM
    From reading different things here on CB, I am to believe that I'd be able to buy a Storm from Verizon, unlock it and be able to use it on AT&T? Minus 3g of course (which I don't want anyway). Am I way off base here? I tried searching for an answer, but couldn't come up with anything definitive. I know Verizon is CDMA, but doesn't the storm also have GSM for "international" use? Someone please help! And please don't flame me. I know it probably sounds like a stupid quesiton, but I'm just starting with the BB thing, and I've never had an unlocked phone of any sort, so I'm just not sure how it works.
    short answer is u r correct

see http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/unl...pefully-78263/
    11-09-08 10:45 AM
    I believe you will be able to unlock it to use on AT&T because it is a world phone. Be that as it may you will have to pay full retail price for the phone, which is not yet known, and acquire the means to "unlock" the phone.
    11-09-08 10:45 AM
    With Vodafone NL the unlock price in the first year is €100, which is about $130. Don't know how Verizon handles these things though..
    11-09-08 10:49 AM
    Thanks. Sorry, I did do numerous searches, and that one never came up.
    11-09-08 10:50 AM
    Here is a question then, the phone I won, I will not need a new contract to enable it, would it be unlocked? My parents use ATT, I will steal one of their sim cards and have to try it out, what is the worst that could happen?
    11-09-08 10:59 AM
    Also this isn't fully confirmed yet.. But I read in one of the posts here that someone had the storm in there hand and it was locked to verizon he tried to change networks and at&t came up and asked for a sim or something like that so you may not even need to unlock it if it works the way were suspecting it to. Might just need to insert a at&t sim?
    11-09-08 12:41 PM
    Here is a question then, the phone I won, I will not need a new contract to enable it, would it be unlocked? My parents use ATT, I will steal one of their sim cards and have to try it out, what is the worst that could happen?
    Verizon's not going to send you an unlocked phone. What would be the point in that? They'd lose money if anything. It'll be a phone for verizon probably with instructions on how to activate it and that's it. They'll make about 15 bucks off you though if you don't wanna manually transport your numbers...from what i can see the verizon store deal won't be available at release which means i don't think their number backup service will work. That means manual entry or paying 15-20 bucks to have them transfer.
    11-09-08 12:45 PM
    Also this isn't fully confirmed yet.. But I read in one of the posts here that someone had the storm in there hand and it was locked to verizon he tried to change networks and at&t came up and asked for a sim or something like that so you may not even need to unlock it if it works the way were suspecting it to. Might just need to insert a at&t sim?
    Now that would be awesome. Sounds too good to be true, so I'm not going to hold my breath. But it would be really cool, nonetheless.
    11-09-08 12:47 PM
    Now that would be awesome. Sounds too good to be true, so I'm not going to hold my breath. But it would be really cool, nonetheless.
    Probably is too good to be true....wouldn't that kind of make it "non exclusive?"

Talk is cheap, till I see that actually happen I wouldn't believe it...not that it'd matter since I'm on Verizon anyway.
    11-09-08 12:50 PM
    Probably is too good to be true....wouldn't that kind of make it "non exclusive?"

Talk is cheap, till I see that actually happen I wouldn't believe it...not that it'd matter since I'm on Verizon anyway.
    I don't believe anything anymore until it actually happens. Too many variables to make anything definite. I left Verizon to come to AT&T, but I'm not above going back. Any carrier has very little service in my hometown anyway. And you're right, that would make it pretty non-exclusive. Maybe when/if AT&T gets a Storm variant, their service will have improved, and it will be worth me upgrading. Until then, I'd rather just get something unlocked if it will work for me. That's why I was asking about the Verizon version. I don't want to be stuck in a contract anymore.
    11-09-08 02:49 PM
    Verizon's not going to send you an unlocked phone. What would be the point in that? They'd lose money if anything. It'll be a phone for verizon probably with instructions on how to activate it and that's it. They'll make about 15 bucks off you though if you don't wanna manually transport your numbers...from what i can see the verizon store deal won't be available at release which means i don't think their number backup service will work. That means manual entry or paying 15-20 bucks to have them transfer.
    Actually if you are buying a new phone you get to transfer your numbers for free. At least I have never had to pay for number transfers before. And besides if you have a bluetooth enabled phone you will be able to just transfer everything over that way. of course it would have to be a smart phone to do a mass transfer. If you are using something like the voyager or enV then you will have to transfer the numbers individually. Also I found out the hard way that the store normally does not have the software to transfer numbers the day the phone is released.
    11-09-08 03:06 PM
    Maybe you have nicer rep than I have had the past 2 stores I've bought from. I've bought new phones twice now and either had to pay or had to manually transfer. That said, the last time I had to manually transfer i was informed there is a "Get It Now" feature that backs your number's contact list in a server and you just have to download it on your new phone and it'll import them. It's free though...works almost as if it's a 'digital sim card'
    11-09-08 03:12 PM
    I think you have to activate a login w/Verizon for it to work also. I remember reading somewhere when you do that there is also an option to link your contacts to your online bill, instead of seeing a list of numbers it will link the names to all your calls. when you get your new phone you just restore your contacts. going from carrier to carrier you will most likely have to do them one by one. but never tried it.
    11-09-08 03:59 PM
    you guys must be talking about Backup Assistant, but i've been told Backup Assistant does not work on BB's.
    11-09-08 04:01 PM
    VZWs backup assistant is only for their phones, not for any of their smartphones
    11-09-08 05:01 PM
    Just to let you guys know, the Storm 9530 WILL NOT work on GSM in North America. I talked with VZW global support, and they explained to me that they can unlock the phone for the bands used in Europe, but WILL NOT unlock the North American bands.
    11-09-08 10:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD