long time reader 1st poster, you know the drill.....

Im now on my 5th storm since the day after it came out.
    let me preface by saying i love the phone up until it stops working.
    my recent prob was my fault but verizon replaced it n/p.
    i D/L grungy gant theme while on .109 (i didn't read the warning)
    2 hours later with verizon and rim tech support the phone worked.

my replacement phone came yesterday. i backed up the old phone and loaded it on the new phone and loaded .114 but didn't activate it because i couldn't find my screen protectors until tonight.

upon turning on the new phone i get a extremely breif flash of a full white screen and what i think says "no fee/free ms" at least thats what i can see in the few milliseconds before it restarts.

i can't get the new phone to stay on much longer than a minute. even when i get it hooked up to the DM it'll go through the whole process of reading and then i try to downgrade back to .75 and i get an error on the DM because or the "no fee..." error and my phone immediately restarts. i cant even get the phone to call out to activate the line.

now to get to the point how do i rectifiy this issue.
    if you need any more info feel free to ask

btw kinda off topic i've searched and dont think it's possible but can i keep my old pin when i switch phones?
    03-13-09 01:14 AM
    Try a JL_Commander wipe, then reinstall the OS
    03-13-09 01:46 AM
    5? What are you doing to the poor phones? lol

I don't want to sound negative or to flame on you, it just sounds like your diving into things without having much tech knowledge. The last thing you should be worried about when getting a new one is loading a leaked OS onto it. I'd activate the thing to ensure it works properly on the official OS release. Then do some reading up on the beta's. I personally recommend .109 over .114. Regardless do a search for JLCMDR as the previous poster suggested, wipe the phone clean and then try loading the OS back onto it. Then make sure it works, use it for a few day's before worrying about themes. At this point themes tend to bog the phone down. (Seeing as themes are being illegally distributed created on a BETA of the theme building software. It's no shock.)

What happened each of the 5 times? Do you keep doing the same things over again? FYI technically, Verizon does not have to honor the warranty when it comes to software. (Much like a computer.)
    03-13-09 03:34 AM
    My 4 month old Storm says "WTF?" Yeah, I'd try a wipe and start all over.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-09 04:11 AM
    Frankly I would NEVER install a beta operating system on my phone. Many of these are home hacked and will wreck the phone. I'm surprised that the carrier is even replacing them for you. I'm surprised Verizon didn't give up on you after your 3 handset.
    Last edited by Bettermost; 03-13-09 at 04:56 AM.
    03-13-09 04:54 AM
    Sorry, but you're wrong. Software can't ruin the phone. You can always wipe and start fresh.

Frankly I would NEVER install a beta operating system on my phone. Many of these are home hacked and will wreck the phone. I'm surprised that the carrier is even replacing them for you. I'm surprised Verizon didn't give up on you after your 3 handset.
    03-13-09 05:10 AM
    Sorry, but you're wrong. Software can't ruin the phone. You can always wipe and start fresh.
    Well .... depends on how the word "ruin" is used. If you are technically incompetent, and can not recover the phone yourself, Verizon is not under any obligation to unbrick your phone. So, yes, the phone can be "ruined" by software.
    03-13-09 06:09 AM
    btw kinda off topic i've searched and dont think it's possible but can i keep my old pin when i switch phones?
    It's my understanding that the PIN is individual to each handset, kinda like a VIN # to a car. Those numbers cannot be transferred from one phone to another. I'm no expert, but I believe that is the case.
    03-13-09 07:49 AM
    It's my understanding that the PIN is individual to each handset, kinda like a VIN # to a car.
    You are right. Good analogy.
    03-13-09 07:53 AM
    Seems like you just need to cool it with the beta builds and quit messing around with the unofficial stuff with your phone so much. I am running smooth on.75 with a few modifications from the tip forum and I have some applications and I am doing great. Give that a try

Last edited by Orimai; 03-13-09 at 08:37 AM.
    03-13-09 08:35 AM
    now this i why i love this site. i post up, crash, when i get up i've got the answers i need thanks guys.

i am currently looking for the wipe software to dl. i found it last night but i was too tired to deal with it.
    for those curious
    storm one: dust under the glass inbetween the screen
    storm two: the entire glass delaminated off the screen
    storm three: the click feature basically was non existant IDK how
    storm four: the app error 532 and every time i'd plug it in my laptop would crash.
    storm five: well refer to the OP
    so thats why verizon is swapping them out for me free even though i have the insurance.

it is true i dont have too much knowlege about the black berries. i do read the threads on the new OS leaks and wanted to try .114 to see if it was any better than .109. some said yes and some said no just like any of the other leaks.

update: jl_cmder just finished

i'll update here in a bit once i get the phone up and running (hopefully)
    03-13-09 10:53 AM
    Wreck a BB impossible to brick one.....via software
    03-13-09 11:04 AM
    wiped and loading .75 looking good so far

going back to the pin issue even though i only have one messenger contact currently how will he know ive changed pins? i read somwhere that bbm will update all my contacts. is this truly the case? my prob is that some of my contacs i had before the 532 error i only had pins for and no other means of communication with them.
    03-13-09 11:21 AM
    Also what I noticed with a few of these themes is that they leak memory like crazy especially grungy gant. after a few hours of loading the theme I would get close to 1MB of memory left and in some cases 0MB's, that's when my Storm crashes.

So I uninstalled all themes and unncecessary applications, all is running fine at minimum 20MB ram.

I am running .76 btw, waiting anxiously for RIM to release an official OS.

So try not to install any themes at this point, most of them are beta anyways, and keep your Storm clean until RIM releases a new OS and themes are more mature.
    03-13-09 01:30 PM
    I run 4.7.0.109 with both the appleberry8(free) theme and ivista2(paid) theme, and both work fine on my phone... might want to try it out. 109 has some benefits over .75 that you will definitely appreciate such as faster portrait/landscape changes, less lag opening applications, less lag typing on keyboard, qwerty keyboard on portrait mode, etc...
    03-13-09 01:47 PM
    Try Gant 3 Today SB. B.e.s.t. T.h.e.m.e. E.v.e.r.! I really love the layout on the home screen, today with messages and calendar, and sidebar for quick access to different apps. No memory problems with it, logmaid, and quickpull.
    .114 forced me to brick my phone using crackmem and then I reloaded with the .113/.114 hybrid. Runs awesome now. Don't know how much of a difference from .109 tho.

03-13-09 02:44 PM
    i'm going to wait on the themes for now. i ran .109 since it came out. i now have an issue i dont have any browser. ive tried to reload the os and still no browser. i'm still in process of searching.
    03-13-09 06:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD