If your work for VZW please read!!!

I am a long VZW customer back from the Bell Atlantic Mobil days... And A long time PDA user. Currently using a Palm Treo 700p. I've been thinking about changing over to BB. I've been looking at the Curve & The Storm. Understanding all the glitches in the beginning & understanding that such a change in BB with the Storm that software upgrades are needed and expected. It would be nice if a person like me who in on the fence with the Storm could go into a VZW store and fine one that does NOT have the 1st OS on it. It's not a good selling tool to not have the current OS that from what I read is MUCH better. I'd like to play with it a little in a store before I make such a big change. And yes I've been to 5 different VZW store in New York City. We have a few BB users here...

Cheers,

Evan
    02-01-09 01:46 PM
    Sorry let me add that one store did have OS.85 but I could not stand staying there because that stupid alarm connected to the phone would go off and blast the whole store everytime I turned it to test it...

Back off soap box!
    02-01-09 01:48 PM
    75 is the latest official release. You sure about the store model having 85?
    02-01-09 01:55 PM
    OS 4.5.0.77 is the latest official release from verizon I believe. You will not find a leaked OS on a device.

Other carriers have released it, but not yet verizon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-09 01:56 PM
    OS 4.5.0.77 is the latest official release from verizon I believe. You will not find a leaked OS on a device.

Other carriers have released it, but not yet verizon.
    That would have to be for a Curve, since all Storms shipped with OS 4.7.

But I would agree it's pretty unlikely you'll find a Storm with a leaked build on it in a store.
    02-01-09 02:07 PM
    You won't find a unit with a leaked OS. It's against pretty much every ToS agreement and contract a VZW employee would have to sign.

Also, .75 is the latest official release.
    02-01-09 02:15 PM
    Like others have stated.....75 is the latest official release. So that's what is going to be on our demo units. If we put the newest leaked OS on the demo's people would constantly be wanting to return their Storms because they "don't work correctly" or they are "too slow".

There's that and the fact that we're not allowed to. My district manager checks our phones every once in a while just to make sure they're still on .75.

But that being said, I have no problem showing customers the difference between our demos and mine. I let them see what it's like and then if they want it, I tell them where to find it. I also do stress that these are "install at your own risk" and are not official releases.
    02-01-09 02:42 PM
    It would be nice if a person like me who in on the fence with the Storm could go into a VZW store and fine one that does NOT have the 1st OS on it. It's not a good selling tool to not have the current OS that from what I read is MUCH better.
    What pisses me off is the corp store here has their two Storm demos strapped across the screen. How are you suppose to test or try one with that zip-tie strangling the screen?
    02-01-09 03:01 PM
    You will not see anything beyond .75 obviously because of the glitches associated with unofficial releases, I do not think it will be long before we see another udate. The phone has a very low return rate despite what you may see on the internet. (The negativity mimics that of the iPhone back in the day.) The latest release .99 is very stable and very fast, keep an eye out on the findings thread to learn more. You always have 30 day's to change your mind and exchange/return the phone so go with the storm and if you don't like it, switch.
    02-01-09 03:09 PM
    What pisses me off is the corp store here has their two Storm demos strapped across the screen. How are you suppose to test or try one with that zip-tie strangling the screen?
    If you ask to see it, when they are not busy. They will either bring one out from the back or take the ones off of the display for you to see.
    02-01-09 03:11 PM
    Yeah, ask to see it. They'll grab you one to try.
    02-01-09 03:15 PM
    Duped Sorry.
    Last edited by Lightninrod; 02-01-09 at 03:53 PM.
    02-01-09 03:51 PM
    Thanks guys.

What is confusing is another corp. store that is about 30 miles away, has their two demos with no strap on them. I have tried them out and hope to get one this year.
    02-01-09 03:52 PM
    Welcome to my planet!
    02-01-09 04:02 PM
    You will not see anything beyond .75 obviously because of the glitches associated with unofficial releases, I do not think it will be long before we see another udate. The phone has a very low return rate despite what you may see on the internet. (The negativity mimics that of the iPhone back in the day.) The latest release .99 is very stable and very fast, keep an eye out on the findings thread to learn more. You always have 30 day's to change your mind and exchange/return the phone so go with the storm and if you don't like it, switch.
    Funny, wonder why Verizon is now charging a $35 restocking fee if you return a Storm withing 30 days and exchange it for a different phone like a Curve.
    02-01-09 06:10 PM
    Funny, wonder why Verizon is now charging a $35 restocking fee if you return a Storm withing 30 days and exchange it for a different phone like a Curve.
    Aren't they charging a restocking fee for any phone returned now...not just the Storm?
    02-01-09 06:14 PM
    The restocking fee is for any returned phone, except here in Hawaii where restocking fees are illegal under state law.

As to the original post, the way they have our demo phones set up, we have been unable to do wireless upgrades on them. The computers in the store do not allow installation of 3rd party software like DM, so the only way we were able to update our demos in the store was for me to bring in my own laptop and do it. I think that problem is fixed now, though, so they should be updated.
    02-01-09 06:32 PM
    It would be nice if a person like me who in on the fence with the Storm could go into a VZW store and fine one that does NOT have the 1st OS on it.
    Sorry let me add that one store did have OS.85

Could easily be an innocent typo. .75 instead of .85.
    And he wouldn't be the first to see a display Storm with launch OS on it.
    Just within past couple weeks I saw a display Storm that still had .65 on it.
    Which would be the 1st OS, as he mentioned.

Welcome, Evan2000
    02-01-09 06:56 PM
    no store is going to have anything newer than .75. its the latest official.
    02-01-09 07:06 PM
    How do you know what OS you have
    02-01-09 07:13 PM
    How do you know what OS you have
    Options > About
    02-01-09 07:23 PM
    Whenever someone wants to see just about any phone in the store I try to find one that is not a display model. Little cookie snatchers and tweens that think they know what they're doing like to screw with the devices and they just don't work right.

Restocking fees applies to all models because the phone can't be sold as new after it has been activated and has to be sent away. It most likely ends up a replacement phone which is a huge loss considering Verizon pays close the the full retail price for all handsets.

Just ask if one of the reps has a Storm you can look at, in most cases they will hand it over no problem. Except my store because some butterfingers customer dropped my manager's storm face down on the corner of the steel baseplate of the handset display and cracked the screen. Ouch.
    02-01-09 07:33 PM
    I work at the premier location in NYC. We are running .75 on all 4 of our floor demo's. What store location were you in that was running .65? I find that really hard to believe.
    02-01-09 08:29 PM
    I work at the premier location in NYC. We are running .75 on all 4 of our floor demo's. What store location were you in that was running .65? I find that really hard to believe.
    dont know if u can answer this but if someone brings back a phone with .75 installed but previously installed a leaked version can u tell at all
    02-01-09 08:37 PM
    dont know if u can answer this but if someone brings back a phone with .75 installed but previously installed a leaked version can u tell at all
    Yes, you can
    02-01-09 09:14 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD