ughhh what are we all going to talk about 2 days from now ... lol
    11-19-08 11:56 AM
    Thanks scougarb I will be connecting to my computer to sync. Im not really sure what mail client comcast uses. It just a basic email I don't think it even has a calendar.
    11-19-08 11:56 AM
    AT&T has released info that they will make this happen shortly. Yes, currently any jailbroken iphone can do it, but this is not because of the hardware, but rather the carrier, so why not argue that it's rather an AT&T vs Verizon issue rather then a Storm vs iPhone issue.
    Not to nit pick here, but features that are 'coming soon' are not the same as features that exist here and now. It's a perfectly fair comparison to say that the Storm tethers out of the box and the iPhone does not. Until AT&T implements it, it doesn't do it out of the box. Just like the iPhone currently has an app store and the Storm doesn't. Even though it is 'coming soon', it's not here and cannot be included in a point to point comparison.

An AT&T issue IS an iPhone issue. I don't see the iPhone on any other network so when looking at a point to point comparison it's a valid issue.

Actually smart boy, I'm nothing of an Apple fan, but when I see false info posted, I'll call your *** on it. Nothing can be looked at at face value. Hardware is hardware, software is software, and carrier rules are always BS. Is it correct for me to argue that the Sprint 8830 is better hardware because it has open GPS and the Verizon 8830 does not. No, because it's the same thing, the carrier is the cause behind that.

That's my point, get the fanboy mentality out of your mind, it's not as simple as that. If it's all fanboyism, then it's just as safe to say the OP is just trying to justify the Storm being superior in this case. See, the tables can be turned either way.
    The iPhone is the sum of all its parts, the same as the Storm is. If the hardware is exclusive to a network then a comparison absolutely includes network pros and cons.

Even if the hardware isn't exclusive, it is correct to argue that the Sprint 8830 has open GPS when the verizon 8830 doesn't. If you are deciding between phones and you are open to switching networks, it's a point worth mentioning.
    11-19-08 11:57 AM
    I don't think it matters whether it is software, hardware, or carrier that is causing the issue. All these things are a package deal. If I have an amazing phone but the software is useless I am not going to keep on using it, just because it is software and not hardware. If the carrier sucks, I dump them.

Software, Hardware, and Carrier are all equally important. You cannot ignore a deficiency from any of these.
    Accept for the fact that this thread is basically another iPhone vs Storm thread. This has nothing to do with the carriers, it has to do with the PHONE.
    11-19-08 02:45 PM
    An AT&T issue IS an iPhone issue. I don't see the iPhone on any other network so when looking at a point to point comparison it's a valid issue.
    No it isn't. The carrier is not the phone. Just because ATT doesn't let the iPhone tether out of the box, that shouldn't void the fact that the iPhone can do it. That is just dumb. That is a carrier problem, not a phone problem.
    11-19-08 02:49 PM
    Well, the Blackberry Storm can also be used as a hat.
    11-19-08 02:49 PM
    The Storm has *, which the iPhone doesn't:

* removable / user changeable Battery
    * user upgradeable memory / swappable memory
    * 3.2MP auto-focus camera with flash
    * video recording capability
    * push email
    * MMS
    * copy and paste
    * GSM and CDMA
    * 480 x 360 pixels
    * clickable screen
    * turn by turn navigation
    * creates, edits, and saves Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and PDF documents
    * keyboard in landscape and portrait mode (QWERTY, SureType, and Multi-Tap)
    * multitasking
    * Does not require iTunes to function
    * noise canceling microphone
    * no "Kill Switch"
    * Bluetooth stereo (A2DP)
    *tethering capability
    * you can install whatever you want

Most importantly! You are not getting reamed by ATT and Steve Jobs!

Help me add to the list.
    This should probably be modified to read "Storage"

Well, the Blackberry Storm can also be used as a hat.

I just spit water all over the place. lolol
    11-19-08 03:40 PM
    No it isn't. The carrier is not the phone. Just because ATT doesn't let the iPhone tether out of the box, that shouldn't void the fact that the iPhone can do it. That is just dumb. That is a carrier problem, not a phone problem.
    Exactly. Just because an 8830 on Verizon can't use 3rd party GPS apps does not make it suck more then the 8830 on Sprint. Carrier issues and limitations should not be constituted as pros and cons in discussion suck as this because the discussion is comparing "handsets", not "handsets and their respective carriers". Ya gota be precise on what you're trying to say. Lawyers nitpick this sort of stuff everyday... the truth is in the details.
    11-19-08 04:13 PM
    There is a Steve Jobs iPhone case coming out for the holidays. It's a minature mock turtle neck that you put on the iPhone. It tells other phone users to stand back, they have a real phone elitist on their hands.
    11-19-08 04:19 PM

* creates, edits, and saves Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and PDF documents
    can anyone confirm this? Viewing PDF files is extremely important to me.
    11-24-08 01:07 AM
    Exactly. Just because an 8830 on Verizon can't use 3rd party GPS apps does not make it suck more then the 8830 on Sprint. Carrier issues and limitations should not be constituted as pros and cons in discussion suck as this because the discussion is comparing "handsets", not "handsets and their respective carriers". Ya gota be precise on what you're trying to say. Lawyers nitpick this sort of stuff everyday... the truth is in the details.
    Some just go ahead and rename this thread "If you are wondering why the Verizon Storm is better than the AT&T iPhone..." please.....
    11-24-08 01:13 AM
    Not a Qwerty keyboard in portrait mode though. Just wanted to clarify.
    Not entirely true. The SureType keyboard in portrait mode is QWERTY technically. Granted, it does not have the same exact layout as a true QWERTY keyboard, but the letters are in the same order. Essentially it's a shortened (condensed) QWERTY keyboard.
    11-24-08 01:26 AM
    Inferiority complex anyone?
    11-24-08 01:49 AM
    no No NO NO The limitations of each phone has EVERYTHING to do with its carriers, therefore it should be counted as a feature or not. Give me a break Civic... theoretically, the iPhone could be used to calculate values of pi, although Apple doesn't provide an app for that. Should we count that as a feature? The phone can be used as a stronger weapon than the Storm because of its glass screen. Another feature we should closely consider.

Obviously the iPhone and Storm have exactly the same capabilities. They both have electronic components that make it all possible, but what we are trying to discern is what each phone can do at this point in time given certain restrictions such as the carrier, provided applications, or even current software development.
    11-24-08 02:09 AM
    Why is the iPhone better than the Storm?

Read this review, couldn't have said it better.

Why the BlackBerry Storm is no iPhone killer � admiral H

At the end of the day, the Storm will be long forgotten about this time next year, and Apple will have a new spanking device that will turn heads for another year.

RIM have dropped the ball twice now (9000/9500), and I'm no fanboy, so would love to see a hyprid Bold/Storm convergence device (keyboard AND touch) with an OS that actually works.
    11-24-08 04:39 AM
    Why is the iPhone better than the Storm?

Read this review, couldn't have said it better.

Why the BlackBerry Storm is no iPhone killer � admiral H

At the end of the day, the Storm will be long forgotten about this time next year, and Apple will have a new spanking device that will turn heads for another year.

RIM have dropped the ball twice now (9000/9500), and I'm no fanboy, so would love to see a hyprid Bold/Storm convergence device (keyboard AND touch) with an OS that actually works.
    'First you target the letter. Then, you touch the screen. Third, you have makoe sure the screen �clicks� and the highlighted selection is still the same then, so that it acknowledges your key press correctly. Lastly, you look again to make sure what you typed was really correct. Laborious, isn�t it? On the iPhone, all you have to do is touch the letters at their approximate location, at the bottom of the screen and the dictionary would do most of the hard work"

That seriously has to be the crappiest explanation of why typing is superior on the iphone. That's like saying that a Porche is better than Audi because with Audi you have to 1) look at the gas pedal 2) move ur foot to the pedal 3) apply pressure and 4) make sure you pressed the right pedal. But with Porche all you got to do is press the gas.

Sorry but this article didn't sell me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by skyys; 11-24-08 at 05:25 AM.
    11-24-08 05:18 AM
    Also you dont turn into a anal fanboy that gets violent when someone talks bad about apple lol
    Yeah, what's that all about? Is Jobs still working out of his garage under a single light bulb, next to a rusting 1975 Mercury Monarch, hunting down the ultimate PC killer?

And Mac lovers must still be living in their parent's basements, staring at an over-priced computer screen on a machine running three programs that cost more than the computer.
    11-24-08 05:27 AM
    How are you getting reamed by Steve Jobs and ATT??

The iPhone is the same price with no mail in rebate and ATT doesnt nickel and dime you to death the way VZ does.

And Mac lovers must still be living in their parent's basements, staring at an over-priced computer screen on a machine running three programs that cost more than the computer.
    Ah, nice stereotype. Im a Mac user, dont live in my parents basement, using what I feel is a far superior product to any windows computer. And contrary to popular belief there are PLENTY of free apps in the Mac world
    Last edited by voodoodaddy; 11-24-08 at 05:31 AM.
    11-24-08 05:29 AM
    The BB has a kill switch. Where have you been? The iPhone has push email (ActiveSync on Exchange is push), get your facts correct. And you can tether an iPhone as well.

Just keeping you honest.
    Tethered all right, to that awful AT&T service.
    11-24-08 05:29 AM
    How are you getting reamed by Steve Jobs and ATT??

The iPhone is the same price with no mail in rebate and ATT doesnt nickel and dime you to death the way VZ does.

Ah, nice stereotype. Im a Mac user, dont live in my parents basement, using what I feel is a far superior product to any windows computer. And contrary to popular belief there are PLENTY of free apps in the Mac world
    True, Verizon does nickel and dime us to death - but the service actually works. AT&T bought Cell one. We all bought iPhones up here in Northern AZ and AT&T won't connect them because it "might tread on the Cellular One folks turf," and AT&T OWNS them now. So we have to get a phone number in PHX ... Blah Blah Blah.

The service is what counts, and Verizon, nickels and dimes included, beats AT&T hands down.
    11-24-08 05:40 AM
    'First you target the letter. Then, you touch the screen. Third, you have makoe sure the screen �clicks� and the highlighted selection is still the same then, so that it acknowledges your key press correctly. Lastly, you look again to make sure what you typed was really correct. Laborious, isn�t it? On the iPhone, all you have to do is touch the letters at their approximate location, at the bottom of the screen and the dictionary would do most of the hard work"

That seriously has to be the crappiest explanation of why typing is superior on the iphone. That's like saying that a Porche is better than Audi because with Audi you have to 1) look at the gas pedal 2) move ur foot to the pedal 3) apply pressure and 4) make sure you pressed the right pedal. But with Porche all you got to do is press the gas.

Sorry but this article didn't sell me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

The article makes PERFECT SENSE if you've actually used both devices

Typing on the Storm is a chore. The Bold, in comparison, is a much more solid device. I'm gutted, actually, as I took my Bold back for a Storm.
    11-24-08 06:05 AM
    The article makes PERFECT SENSE if you've actually used both devices

Typing on the Storm is a chore. The Bold, in comparison, is a much more solid device. I'm gutted, actually, as I took my Bold back for a Storm.
    I've used both the iphone and the Storm - and typing is quicker (for me anyway) on the Storm.

The Bold or any physical keyboard will always be faster than a touch screen.

This whole "target/touch/click" is NONSENSE - just click the letter like a key in one motion. I've had the phone since Friday and it's already second nature - NOT a chore.

iphone= your Fender
    Storm= my Paul Reed Smith
    11-24-08 06:37 AM
    I don't understand...

Carriers X and Y release BlackBerry Z:

Carrier X

- Locks GPS
    - Disables OBEX
    - Doesn't include WiFi
    - $30 tethering plan that cant be hacked

Carrier Y

- Gives the customer all of the above, plus offers...
    - rev A
    - visual voice mail
    - user hackable free tethering

Can you rate these devices as the same? I wouldn't.
    11-24-08 07:45 AM
    This whole "target/touch/click" is NONSENSE - just click the letter like a key in one motion.
    Maybe on the keyboard, but on some buttons, menu options, and web links, "target/touch/click" is a reality.
    11-24-08 07:47 AM
    Maybe on the keyboard, but on some buttons, menu options, and web links, "target/touch/click" is a reality.
    Ok maybe I have different settings than everyone else, but I can one-touch select and click everywhere.

Buttons, Menus, Web Links - EVERYWHERE

Please give me a specific example of where I need to "target/touch/click".

Do you even have a Storm?
    11-24-08 08:20 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD