and yes of course there will be a flicker fix for 1.41. why would i not do that? however this won't be available till after the 2.0 release. if you feel this is abandoning you well then happy trolling.
    05-21-09 05:04 PM
    and yes of course there will be a flicker fix for 1.41. why would i not do that? however this won't be available till after the 2.0 release. if you feel this is abandoning you well then happy trolling.
    Happy trolling? Why that remark cheetah? I asked a very simple and courteous question. Attitude is poor business and poor customer service. Excuse me for inquiring about something I bought from you. What was I thinking?
    05-21-09 05:24 PM
    sorry. not you dude. referring to the guy who said they were being 'Cheetahed' and that i was abandoning ppl.

trolling still affects me especially when there's no basis for it.

anyway, im pretty busy so i gotta concentrate on gettin 2.0 out.
    bottom line is 2.0 is coming out soon. small fee for older purchases. free for everyone else. 1.41 will have the flicker fix for free for ppl that dont want 2.0.

later
    05-21-09 05:28 PM
    by the way... need some european testers if anyone is out there.
    05-21-09 05:29 PM
    ...residing in europe that is.
    05-21-09 05:30 PM
    and yes of course there will be a flicker fix for 1.41. why would i not do that?
    I am no longer disapointed.. I appolagize for the "Cheetahed" comment.
    05-21-09 05:55 PM
    I bought QL the day it was released and am sticking with it. ShortcutMe looks a bit user-unfriendly
    05-21-09 05:56 PM
    I am no longer disapointed.. I appolagize for the "Cheetahed" comment.

No problem. i'm sorry too. man... this is difficult. i'm getting about 20 emails every single minute asking when 2.0 is coming out. every minute.
    then if i don't reply in 5 mins they send me a nasty msg. sigh...
    then i have to monitor the forums, do the development, handle the phone calls,
    bbm's, aim msg, msn msgs etc. omg i'm going crazy!!!!!!!!!
    05-21-09 06:16 PM
    Cheetah, what's the cut off for the fee? Purchased before what date and what is the fee?
    05-21-09 06:34 PM
    not decided yet.
    05-21-09 06:38 PM
    oooops. haha wrong forum.
    Last edited by CheetahAce; 05-21-09 at 06:54 PM.
    05-21-09 06:39 PM
    i got both and QL is 1,000 times better! shortcutme was a waste of my money.
    05-21-09 09:43 PM
    QL was broken in .141 and .148 because RIM decided to change the behaviour of a few functions in the OS.

Now SM doesn't use those functions, uses a very basic subset of the J2ME API. But you can't still lay the blame on the application developer for his applications braking, the cause are changes in the OS. If RIM decides one day to change the way a function behaves and SM uses that function and expects the old behaviour, it will break too. There is no preventing that.

As a developer, you are ALWAYS dependent on the platform you are building on, except in the case where you also control the platform (which is not the case for mobile applications made by third-party developers). Changes in behaviour of APIs can cause your application to break and there is no way to prevent that (unless again, you control the platform you are building on, which is not the case for mobile applications made by third-party developers).

There might be LESS risk of SM breaking as he uses documented J2ME API's that are standerized versus RIM's additions to the API, but you can't use the word never. That's just plain idiotic.
    In RIM programming development environment, there are many programming screen types. One of them is called GPScreen (GlobalPopupScreen).

GPScreens are drawn on other screens. You can make them to be transparent so that you can see stuff behind them. You can make them to be smaller than the LCD size so that you can see other screens around them.

GPScreen is mostly used to inform the user about something. They are not used as the main screen in Java Applications and that is for good reasons.

If you are using them as the main screen in your program, then you are at the mercy of many changing factors inside the Java Virtual Machine guts (like how fast it goes, how fast it draws, how fast it switches drawing different screens, etc).
    RIM can't keep the guts of JVM exactly the same as they probably trying to make it more efficient in every new release (specially for Storm)
    So GPScreen based applications are always in danger zone. A fix comes out for one Blackberry OS, and then another problem might be around the corner.

Other applications (that are not using GPScreens as main screen, including ShortcutMe) are using standard Java Level APIs that are not depending on the guts of JVM but on its API (interface).

RIM does not need to remove a JVM API to improve its product (They might however add new features/functionality to it). So the existing JVM APIs are not changing as a result of RIM wanting to make Blackberry faster (which probably happens in every single OS release).

I assume you already have seen that almost all of the programs for Blackberry are using standard Screens and not the GPScreen. Have you seen any of them brake after you upgrade your Blackberry OS?

ShortcutMe - Testimonials
    ShortcutMe, Fastest BlackBerry Shortcut Application
    Fonware Ltd. - Flash
    05-21-09 10:57 PM
    In RIM programming development environment, there are many programming screen types. One of them is called GPScreen (GlobalPopupScreen).

GPScreens are drawn on other screens. You can make them to be transparent so that you can see stuff behind them. You can make them to be smaller than the LCD size so that you can see other screens around them.

GPScreen is mostly used to inform the user about something. They are not used as the main screen in Java Applications and that is for good reasons.

If you are using them as the main screen in your program, then you are at the mercy of many changing factors inside the Java Virtual Machine guts (like how fast it goes, how fast it draws, how fast it switches drawing different screens, etc).
    RIM can't keep the guts of JVM exactly the same as they probably trying to make it more efficient in every new release (specially for Storm)
    So GPScreen based applications are always in danger zone. A fix comes out for one Blackberry OS, and then another problem might be around the corner.

Other applications (that are not using GPScreens as main screen, including ShortcutMe) are using standard Java Level APIs that are not depending on the guts of JVM but on its API (interface).

RIM does not need to remove a JVM API to improve its product (They might however add new features/functionality to it). So the existing JVM APIs are not changing as a result of RIM wanting to make Blackberry faster (which probably happens in every single OS release).

I assume you already have seen that almost all of the programs for Blackberry are using standard Screens and not the GPScreen. Have you seen any of them brake after you upgrade your Blackberry OS?

Fonware Ltd. - Flash
    Thanks for chiming in on that Vijik...I have no idea why this has turned into this flaming war it has. Apparently it's not ok to have more then one program.
    05-21-09 11:03 PM
    Part of the problem is that you've been basing your arguments on things you apparently know absolutely nothing about (application development on embedded devices).
    He was basing his argument based on what I have said (and he has clearly said that in all of his posts) and I explained in my post above why the argumentation is correct.

.. don't spread lies and miss-information to promote a product over another.
    Do you mean somthing like this post by CheetaAce?

05-04-2009, 07:21 PM

CheetahAce
    CrackBerry Genius
    Device Model: 9530 (Storm)
    Carrier: Verizon

QuickLaunch hands down! It's faster, easier to setup, doesn't run in the background eating away your battery like shortcutme, is constantly updated and looks cooler!
    FYI: ShortcutMe does not run in the background.
    Blackberry background processes does not eat away your battery.

Fonware Ltd. - Flash
    05-21-09 11:27 PM
    i can tell you why the flaming war began... it's because the shortcutme ppl incessantly promote their product by trying to trash their competition instead of letting thier product speak for itself. It's the same in every thread by them. They even use the same first line in their product description as QuickLaunch so i felt it was time to say something and then all h*ll broke loose.

You don't see all the theme developers trashing other themes as a marketing tactic do you? You don't see Hyundai constantly referring to BMW in their ads do you?

Things would be better if they just try to make a better app and let the consumer decide which is better for them. Obviously they havent figured that out yet which is why QL purchases have gone up and shortcutme purchases have gone down.

If you feel like you have to mention QuickLaunch in every post you make to feel free to continue to do so. It's just more press for NikkiSoft.
    05-22-09 12:03 AM
    Funny, I didn't know children were blackberry developers.
    This is kind of ridiculous guys.
    I love QL but for NOW i'm trying shortCutMe until i am able to make a decision
    I'm reporting this garbage to be cleaned up
    05-22-09 12:10 AM
    Closed...I'm not cleaning it up either, anyone who was involved with the arguing back and forth..this shall stand as reason NOT to do it...no one wins, argue all ya want, no one person looks better then the other for it.

Instead everyone involved just looks silly for having done so.
    05-22-09 12:32 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD